cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Acrylic sheet to replace skylight bubble?

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm selling my Alpenlite 5th wheel. I can't find a replacement skylight bubble for it and the old one is on its last legs so I had the idea to replace it with just a flat sheet of acrylic. That would work, wouldn't it? It's 30x38". How thick would you want the acrylic to be? I'm thinking at least 1/4". And acrylic or polycarbonate?

Thanks much...
18 REPLIES 18

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, and I was installing a flat plate, I wouldn't use screws at all. Holes and screws just create a location for cracks/leaks. I'd simply cut the polycarbonate at least 1-2" larger than the hole, lay down a heavy bead of Dicor, lay the sheet on top, and then add more Dicor around the outside once the initial Dicor dries.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is where I recently bought mine when I redid my roof. It was very a very nice quality piece of work. Price was not bad either. They had many different sizes and styles.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
cannesdo wrote:
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Dicor sealant either self leveling or not should work well, depending on your fit should work. You might consider Eternabond tape if you cant get a flat fit.
You mentioned machining the edges, you should be able to do that with a router with a chamfer bit, poly thakes that easy, acrylic would crack.

Great, thanks...I may take it to a machine shop tomorrow. Just a 1/4" wide 1/8" high lip for the caulk would help to get a clean look I think...I got plexiglass. Did some googling. That looks like it can be routed too -- yes?

I may skip the original framing for the bubble. It's so messed up. Doesn't look great. The screws should hold it tight. I think I'll also paint about an inch at the edge the color of the roof to conceal the butyl (?) tape/putty that will go underneath. I may drill new holes near the old ones for the good fit. Drill right through the plexiglass and the roof at the same time to make sure they line up. Thoughts on that?

Plexiglass is Acrylic! Get Lexan Polycarbonate - worth the extra money!

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor sealant either self leveling or not should work well, depending on your fit should work. You might consider Eternabond tape if you cant get a flat fit.
You mentioned machining the edges, you should be able to do that with a router with a chamfer bit, poly thakes that easy, acrylic would crack.

Great, thanks...I may take it to a machine shop tomorrow. Just a 1/4" wide 1/8" high lip for the caulk would help to get a clean look I think...I got plexiglass. Did some googling. That looks like it can be routed too -- yes?

I may skip the original framing for the bubble. It's so messed up. Doesn't look great. The screws should hold it tight. I think I'll also paint about an inch at the edge the color of the roof to conceal the butyl (?) tape/putty that will go underneath. I may drill new holes near the old ones for the good fit. Drill right through the plexiglass and the roof at the same time to make sure they line up. Thoughts on that?

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Polycarbonate, NOT acrylic. Poly will take hail and not haze or yellow with age.

Any idea if either of these work with self-leveling sealant?

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
What are your plans to dress up the hole on the inside.

There's a blind that you pull shut which is always closed so you won't see it anyway from the inside. But it will allow light to come through.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Will this work? not cheap and a little bit larger. But if the inner dome hides that it's larger I would think it would not matter.
Link
The measurements on the picture don't match the measurements in the description so you might need to reach out to them and ask which is correct.

They also seem to offer a custom skylight creation for $239 if you have to go that route.
Custom

Thanks! Nah, that first one is too narrow... ๐Ÿ˜ž

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Polycarbonate, NOT acrylic. Poly will take hail and not haze or yellow with age.

Ah -- good! Thanks!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked Amazon for the correct skylight? Thats where I got mine.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.eztopsworldwide.com/rvskylights.htm

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
As I recall they had build a frame to raise the sheet off the roof just a bit.

That is the curb and it's purpose is to raise the seal off the roof to prevent water puddling on top of the seal and working it's way thru the seal eventually.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Will this work? not cheap and a little bit larger. But if the inner dome hides that it's larger I would think it would not matter.
Link
The measurements on the picture don't match the measurements in the description so you might need to reach out to them and ask which is correct.

They also seem to offer a custom skylight creation for $239 if you have to go that route.
Custom
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I used butyl tape as the first layer of sealant, then screw it down, and then seal the edges with self leveling sealant!