cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on selling hitch and adapter

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this post is OK. f not, I will delete it.
I posted a little on this a while back.
Upgraded from a RAM 2500 to a RAM 3500.
The 2500 had rails installed and my Patriot Slider installed.
The 3500 has pucks. I purchased the Reese puck adapter and used my Patriot a couple of times. Wasn't real comfortable, as the setup would sometimes make a fairly loud popping noise on take off or on stopping.
I was able to find a good deal on a used Companion with RAM pucks and now use this set up.
Now I need to sell my Patriot and the adapter.
I have had both listed on Facebook Marketplace for a while (this is where I found the Companion).
Also, broke down and listed on Craig's List, as some on this site advised. In 2-3 months, I have had one spammer inquire about the hitch.
Also, advised I would consider reasonable offers.
Zero interest.
Any other thoughts?
There is a small resaler near me that seems to turn over between 3 and 6 RVs on a regular basis. I plan to stop and talk to them and see if they ever have anyone needing to buy a hitch when they buy trailers.
Thanks,
9 REPLIES 9

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
The biggest issue is ,it's a rail mount hitch. Most now are going to a puck mount system or the Andersen style hitch . I too went with the adapter just to use my existing rail mount slider hitch , but back then the choices were very limited .

I don't know, the advantage with selling the rail mount hitch is it will work in any truck with rails vs. truck specific puck systems. I could easy be wrong though.

Dan

What I mean is I don't think there is a great demand for the older style rail mount hitches

I saw no advantage to selling mine , but choices were limited on puck system hitches in 2014 . Reason for the adapter. If one wants to stay with a rail mount hitch ,then the adapter is a great way to go . Problem is now most trucks have the puck system , so its either keep buying adapters or puck style hitches . IMO its a lot cheaper to stay with the hitch ,and adapt to whatever truck . As long as the hitch is in good shape .

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
The biggest issue is ,it's a rail mount hitch. Most now are going to a puck mount system or the Andersen style hitch . I too went with the adapter just to use my existing rail mount slider hitch , but back then the choices were very limited .

I don't know, the advantage with selling the rail mount hitch is it will work in any truck with rails vs. truck specific puck systems. I could easy be wrong though.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Selling what you had in the first place would have been the right thing to do as I always recommend in your situation. Same advice sell them on CL by advertising at 60% of new then drop if needed.

Advertise combined or separately. The B&W should sell quickly. If it's in perfect condition start it at 70% of advertised.

What !!!!!! Sell a B&W ? :B I went his route back in 2014 . His noise IMO is either the slider or the connection between adapter , and hitch . I have a bit of noise with my Reese slider , none with the Andersen , that tells me it’s the slider not the connection . He never said his previous setup with this older B&W had any issues , it’s telling me it’s the connection , quite possible the bedrails were not precise making for a snug fit previously. The adapter can be adjusted so there is no play or noise .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer

Although I have had no issues with my Reese rail mount slider , I have since went with a rail mount steel Andersen for a couple reasons ,one no need for a slider , the Andersen gives me plenty of clearance for backing . The other reason is I can remove easily to transport my inflatable one man pontoon boat here in Montana to fish the lakes . Now going to a bit bigger boat , I decide on a small tow along trailer behind the fifth wheel . Now I can use either hitch I want ,but I still chose the Andersen .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Selling what you had in the first place would have been the right thing to do as I always recommend in your situation. Same advice sell them on CL by advertising at 60% of new then drop if needed.

Advertise combined or separately. The B&W should sell quickly. If it's in perfect condition start it at 70% of advertised.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the price for comparable units on E-trailer. You may have spent too much for it and are now trying to sell it for too much. I also think you will have your best luck if you split them up and sell them separately.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you've gotten no hits, you're too high. I had my B&W Companion sold within a week. They sell new around $1200 and I sold mine for $650, but I picked up a used puck mounted B&W for $100 less than what I got for mine, and those sell for $1325 new.

No hits=Too high.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Sold my 5 year old Patriot slider on Marketplace for $600 this past early spring when I went to a Patriot 18k non slider. It took a little while before the right person came along. Just have to be patient or keep dropping the price.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It will sell when you get the price right. Drop the price until it is right.