Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford vs. Ram vs. GM Diesel HP/TQ Ratings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford vs. Ram vs. GM Diesel HP/TQ Ratings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/22 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Musta stayed up late/out too late, just seem a bit grumpy for Sunday morning? [emoticon]

It's okay though, happens to all of us on occasion!

Jerry

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/22 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thinking has always been this. It is your money. buy what you like and no need to run down what others buy because it doesn't help anyone. If your purchase doesn't turn out to be a good thing buy another brand. It is still your money.

chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/22 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

More gears isn’t all about getting to the top of a hill (that most people will never traverse anyway) faster. It’s the driving experience. I really don’t understand why that is hard for some people to acknowledge.

In addition, aside from the marketing aspect, moving to a better transmission with more gears would allow RAM to run one tranny instead of two, and one engine output level, and be competitive power wise in the 2500 again. Pretty silly for them to hold onto the current strategy.

The problem is I don't think Stelantis has transmission engineers so that means Ram will again have to outsource the transmission and if that transmission is only used in Ram HD trucks it will be extremely expensive.

A version of the Z 8HP works in the Demon. I’m sure with adjustments it could work in the Cummins. Or, heaven forbid, go the route that GM did with the current “Allison”.

And how much inefficiency do they have with two output engines and two separate transmissions for the same truck?

I don't believe that transmission is designed for a PTO provision.

Good point. How would an outsourced transmission be more cost prohibitive than a outsourced engine? Or the current Aisin for that matter?

RAM has no choice but to outsource the diesel engine. Remember Daimler threatening to install a Mecedes diesel under the hood of the Dodge trucks. It would have been a lot cheaper for them to do that.

As for Aisin transmissions... Again, there's a reason that the majority of RAM trucks both 2500 and 3500 have the 68 transmissions in them. Cost!

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/22 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is good thinking Larry! I've purchased many types of vehicles over the years. If I had an issue with a car, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile, or trailer, that made it not enjoyable, to use/drive, I just traded for a new one. Now if you want to talk about expensive trades, try trading spouses!

Jerry

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/22 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"His Asin has been on the shop floor " You know the story and it had NOTHING to do with the AISIN.

This is what people do they say partial truths to make people believe the story is one way but in fact it's another.

NEVER an issue with my 68ref towing 29k combined for 65k. Only issue was taking off on grade with 3.42's. So if it was so bad I should have had an issue. Trans was near spotless when I removed the MagHyteck before trading on current 15 and upgrading to current 24k DRV. I ran the hell out of mine during the leaning process and it always had solid shifts, no flailing etc.

You guys bitching about the AISIN and 68rfe sell the POS you have and buy a GM or Ford for god's same!!!

I think it had everything to do with the Aisin. It was the Aisin that was removed to be worked on. Maybe the tech working on it made a bad situation worse.

Bottom Line: Medium duty doesn't mean a thing when it was your Aisin transmission on the shop floor and your truck out of service!

* This post was edited 07/17/22 02:00pm by FishOnOne *

the1adman

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/22 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

the1adman wrote:

I am a hardcore Cummins fan, owned several of every generation since 1993-first gen. I have a 2021 3500 HO Aisin, there is plenty of room for improvement. The Cummins and the exhaust brake are flawless, the transmission not so much.

The Aisin isn't terrible, just not the ultimate transmission so many make it out to be. My 2017 with the 68 RFE wasn't really much worse when towing 15K plus. I don't know if that's saying a lot about the 68 RFE or little about the Aisin.

I am the odd minority that wants a manual transmission, I never had a complaint about any of the manual trucks I owned. I would jump all over a quality manual transmission option, I know those days are past and probably never see that option again in a new diesel pickup.

Guess you should sell the POS you just bought and look for a 13 and older 6 speed stick.

Never said it was a POS or that I wanted to sell it. I ran nothing but Dodge Cummins for my business. I have had multiple trucks of every generation over a 30 year period. I work hard for my money and want to purchase what I feel is best for me and my money.

I stated my opinion of the Aisin and never mentioned you, your truck or your repaired Aisin and yes I followed that saga on another forum. Even if you have stock in Aisin, I can't believe how personal you take someone giving praise to anything other than what you own.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/22 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

My thinking has always been this. It is your money. buy what you like and no need to run down what others buy because it doesn't help anyone. If your purchase doesn't turn out to be a good thing buy another brand. It is still your money.

chevman

EXACTLY!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/22 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

^Musta stayed up late/out too late, just seem a bit grumpy for Sunday morning? [emoticon]

It's okay though, happens to all of us on occasion!

Jerry

Been getting up at 2am to be fishing at sun up last few days.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/22 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"His Asin has been on the shop floor " You know the story and it had NOTHING to do with the AISIN.

This is what people do they say partial truths to make people believe the story is one way but in fact it's another.

NEVER an issue with my 68ref towing 29k combined for 65k. Only issue was taking off on grade with 3.42's. So if it was so bad I should have had an issue. Trans was near spotless when I removed the MagHyteck before trading on current 15 and upgrading to current 24k DRV. I ran the hell out of mine during the leaning process and it always had solid shifts, no flailing etc.

You guys bitching about the AISIN and 68rfe sell the POS you have and buy a GM or Ford for god's same!!!

I think it had everything to do with the Aisin. It was the Aisin that was removed to be worked on. Maybe the tech working on it made a bad situation worse.

Bottom Line: Medium duty doesn't mean a thing when it was your Aisin transmission on the shop floor and your truck out of service!

Keep on twisting what happened if you must. FACT is I was nearing the end of my 100k warranty and I wanted to fix a "MINOR" amount of seeping where the front and rear came together. I figured I would get it fixed while under warranty. If I was not under warranty I would have never considered it enough to be fixed.

The Tech has worked for the Chrysler Dealer for well over 20 years and is their "Trans Guy". He is known in the Valley as one of the best Trans guys out there on any Trans MOPAR or not. He has replaced three AISIN's as the issue warranted them to be replaced instead of repaired. That is NOTHING over the 15 years the AISIN has been installed in RAM Trucks. They are a good sized Dealer.

To do the repair on any other Trans you simply split if and replace the gasket without removing the Trans. That is how he did it. After the Trans failed I gave him a Chrysler Tech sheet that tells how to do the repair and it is to remove the trans and stand it on the bell housing end to do the gasket repair. I received the Tech material from the former Head West Coast Chrysler Warranty Rep I know.

So the fact is he took responsibility for what happened and it had NOTHING to do with the transmission.

My replacement Trans has a 3 year 100k warranty from Chrysler.

GOT IT ?????????

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/22 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the case. " I can't believe how personal you take someone giving praise to anything other than what you own."

I get sick and tired of all this hand wringing of the 68RFE and AISIN from owners and maybe you got in the cross hairs, sorry.

It gets old constantly hearing they have to get a 8 or 10 speed and clearly it is not NEEDED as mentioned by a HIGHLY respected member on here 4x4ord that backed that up with FACTS.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford vs. Ram vs. GM Diesel HP/TQ Ratings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.