cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Facebook RV Scams

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I am on Facebook Marketplace selling some items and sometimes I see great deals on RVs. When I inquire they auto respond directing me to an email address. When I write them they come up with an eBay story that they need to register me as a buyer and they want my name and address. At that point I stop the contact because I can see it's a scam. Does anybody know what the end game of this scam is? Do they just try to steal identity with this information or do they end up requesting a money transfer? Maybe this has been discussed here before, but I don't know how I would find this in the Search feature. I got nothing when I entered "Facebook RV Scams".

Sample Facebook RV Listing
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
12 REPLIES 12

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
My quick tip on market place. Donโ€™t use Venmo.

Why not? That seems like it is taking over from Paypal.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
My quick tip on market place. Donโ€™t use Venmo.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
If I only had fifteen hundredโ€ฆ

I bet you can get it for a thousand.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
p220sigman wrote:
What is common now is that it will be a commercial sale and the price represents the money down. While it may be scam, more likely they are trying to generate sales leads. I responded to a car ad like that just to see what happened. I used fake information and a throw-away email address. A used car dealership responded. They did provide the actual vehicle information and the sales price. They claimed they put a disclaimer in the ad that said the listed price was the down payment, but I never found it. They did continue to spam the email for a couple of months at least. I only keep the throw-away emails for three months or so typically.

Thanks to everybody for the replies. This sounds like the most likely purpose of the ads (there are many of them) - generating sales leads for a dealer. I hadn't thought of that. Anyway, I won't waste any more time responding to ads for prices that are too low to be real.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
And don't forget that some of these ads may just be click-bait. Lots of that on Facebook.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If I only had fifteen hundredโ€ฆ
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
What is common now is that it will be a commercial sale and the price represents the money down. While it may be scam, more likely they are trying to generate sales leads. I responded to a car ad like that just to see what happened. I used fake information and a throw-away email address. A used car dealership responded. They did provide the actual vehicle information and the sales price. They claimed they put a disclaimer in the ad that said the listed price was the down payment, but I never found it. They did continue to spam the email for a couple of months at least. I only keep the throw-away emails for three months or so typically.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
To answer the question you asked - the only thing I can see is maybe they will monitor your posts and if you happen to post when your out of town or post that your leaving for vacation, they now have your address to potentially separate you from some of your stuff. Just a guess on my part.
As a side note for the reading challenged - the OPโ€™s question had nothing to do with purchasing a rv or the price.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With most any major purchase.. Offer to hop a plane and bring money so you buy it after you see it.. I mean Even if it really is a legit sale often it's not quite "As perceived from the ad) Kind of like an ad for a house for sale (I've seen the house) "Needs a little fixing up" said the ad.. The fact: Lay plank down before walking (on the planks) across the floor or risk landing in the basement.

(Yup the new owner did just that. Landed in the basement that is.. when the floor gave way)

The home owner I was visiting Well when he bought it his house was in like condition but he layed plank, re-floored. Rewalled (The "Bones" (Frame) were still good) re-roofed. Re-sided and had a nice house.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Frankly, I don't see why any reasonable and prudent person would take things one step further once they saw the ad for that particular RV at that price. It couldn't be more obvious that it's a scam.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know much about FB Marketplace, but friends who have used it say that in the last year or so it has been taken over by commercial sellers and scammers.

Speaking of Facebook and scammers, I still have friends who repost those "Win this Motorhome!" scams. My wife told me awhile ago to stop bugging people about those, because people don't like being told that they are being taken by an obvious scam.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Can see it is a scam just by the price . . . Don't need to read any further. A class C for $1500. Don't know what the outcome would be??
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie