cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery issues

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Winnebago Itasca. I bought all new Interstate battery in February, took the coach to Florida for 7 weeks without battery issues. All seven weeks we were plugged into shore power with the chassis batteries switched off, coach batteries on.

I dropped my RV off to have some work done on it in June, when I went to start the coach all batteries were dead including the chassis battery. I get home and plug the RV in assuming it will charge the batteries. Three weeks latter the batteries are dead.

My questions are as follows:
Shouldn’t the batteries be fully charged after being plugged into shore power for that length of time (3 weeks).

If when plugged in to shore power, when the RV is not in use, should I shut the coach battery off? If the coach batteries are off, with the batteries charge?

Thank you in advance.
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250
12 REPLIES 12

kedanie
Explorer
Explorer
If your batteries are below 10V the inverter/charger won’t charge them. Use a dedicated battery charger to get he up above 10V then the on board inverter/charger can take over.
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chassis battery.. Likely is dead
House battery: If MARINE/deep cycle there is slight hope it will recover
If GC-2 pairs a fair chance it will recover.

This is why I keep telling folks that DEEP CYCLE batteries (GC-2 pairs) should be kept at least half full

MARINE/deep cycle (Most Group XX) 3/4 full
Starting batteries (Chassis) 80 or more

And in all cases recharged quickly when run down.

And people argue with me.. but you just proved it.

NOW.

When plugged in measure voltage AT THE BATTERIES.. should be over 13 and a half.

But if it's not.. You have a charging issue.. Converter, Fuse (Or circuit breaker), Disconnect switch (In reverse order of suspect)

NOTE circuit breaker can be a 120 volt (likely labeled conv) or 12 volt.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Wait.
The chassis was shut down for 7 weeks.
Most rigs I know will not be charging the chassis batteries while plugged into shore power. That's when you use the battery "instant switch" to get her going, then drive around to charge it up.

Or run a Trickle-Charger on the chassis battery while shut down.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
FLHTCI wrote:
I have a 2012 Winnebago Itasca. I bought all new Interstate battery in February, took the coach to Florida for 7 weeks without battery issues. All seven weeks we were plugged into shore power with the chassis batteries switched off, coach batteries on.

I dropped my RV off to have some work done on it in June, when I went to start the coach all batteries were dead including the chassis battery. I get home and plug the RV in assuming it will charge the batteries. Three weeks latter the batteries are dead.

My questions are as follows:
Shouldn’t the batteries be fully charged after being plugged into shore power for that length of time (3 weeks).

If when plugged in to shore power, when the RV is not in use, should I shut the coach battery off? If the coach batteries are off, with the batteries charge?

Thank you in advance.

Buy a Black and Decker battery charger around $75, read the instructions, and charge the battery, very easy. This has happened to me and I was able to charge it especially if it was new. It will take overnight. If it was 5 years old buy a new one.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
FLHTCI,

Try equalizing the batteries. It may be best to do one at a time.

The only battery chemistry I'm aware that could recover from that much abuse is SiO2.

Marine jars left dead for weeks may be difficult to recover--but there is no reason to not try to do so.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
FLHTCI wrote:
We had power issues in Florida. I can only assume that my inverter was damaged because it should have charged fully for three weeks

If dead they will not charge. Three weeks and they are toast.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
7 weeks with the chassis battery switch off, followed by dead batteries after repairs, followed by dead batteries after 3 weeks can suggest:

1. Your new batteries are toast or at the very least compromised.
2. Your charger is not working and/or you have blown fuse or other wiring related issues.

I would not just assume it's the charger (you said inverter). A voltmeter would help as would load testing the batteries. Try charging the batteries with a 20A auto charger could shed some light...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
We had power issues in Florida. I can only assume that my inverter was damaged because it should have charged fully for three weeks
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Ford F-250

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
FLHTCI wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
With a slight load on any battery without any charger on it will go dead in a few hours to days. Once its dead they usually do not charge back up.

Check the battery voltage on each battery using a volt meter. If each is below or near 2 volt DC they will not charge back. The new chargers will not charge a very low battery.

Have you check the liquid level on each cell and each cell voltage. If you do not know how to do that post back.

Will the batteries charge in they are shut off?

NO not on most RVs.

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
With a slight load on any battery without any charger on it will go dead in a few hours to days. Once its dead they usually do not charge back up.

Check the battery voltage on each battery using a volt meter. If each is below or near 2 volt DC they will not charge back. The new chargers will not charge a very low battery.

Have you check the liquid level on each cell and each cell voltage. If you do not know how to do that post back.

Will the batteries charge in they are shut off?
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Ford F-250

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Three weeks without charging and with parasitic loads while at the repair facility can drain and kill house batteries. Sometimes a dead battery can be recharged but it will still be damaged. One solution is solar charging which will maintain the battery during the repair and in storage. Yes, a kill switch to off is a good idea.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad