cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eastbound

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
We ar looking at heading east from Texas for some genealogy work. Want to go to Newberry, SC, then Flat Rock, NC. It’s a 1000 mile trip one way. So, where should we stop along the way and where while there?
9 REPLIES 9

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
We made reservations at Oak Plantation Campground for the week. Any complaints or kudos for this campground?

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
charlestonsouthern wrote:
BFRNK, well, then, James Island County Park is the best RV park to stay. Also, easy to Folly Beach and easy to historic Charleston peninsula. Also, some sites have little crabbing docks to catch large blue crabs for a spicy crab and shrimp and corn boil. But call early for reservations.

^ This.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been to Charleston a few times and always stayed at the Ladison KOA. Not a fancy park but easy run right to down town Charleston. Last time we were there we put 450 mi on our Smart car touring. Plenty of room for our DP towing the Smart.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Charleston is a good distance from your original destination. It's not a day trip to go there and do your investigating your genealogy work. Still, that's the wonderful thing about an RV, it has wheels and you take it where you want to go WHEN you want to go. If time isn't a constraint then by all means go have fun. Charleston is a great destination. Then you can decide what's next.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
BFRNK, well, then, James Island County Park is the best RV park to stay. Also, easy to Folly Beach and easy to historic Charleston peninsula. Also, some sites have little crabbing docks to catch large blue crabs for a spicy crab and shrimp and corn boil. But call early for reservations.

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
Well, wife has changed our route. Still heading to SC, but staying in Charleston area now possibly

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I travel, I don't push it. I take frequent rests and stop for the evening when I am tired. That does not fit with planned rest stops or reservations. I get by without hook ups so I tend to stay wherever it is convenient, i.e., rest stops, truck stops, Walmart parking lots, campgrounds if available. For that trip, I would probably decide in advance how many days to drive. My typical Interstate driving routine would be to drive a couple hours in the morning and then take a relatively quick pit stop. I would then typically drive 3-4 hours and take an extended break with a hot meal and a nap. At that point it would typically be about 3 in the afternoon having driven roughly 300 miles. Often I would put in another 3-4 hour leg bringing me to 500 or as much as 600 miles. So with plenty of stops and rests, I could comfortably drive the 1000 miles in two days, stopping overnight once. For a very leisurely drive I would take 3 days, stopping overnight twice, again wherever convenient.

BTW, splitting the trip in half would put you near Birmingham, Alabama. As I remember there was a really nice rest area there complete with an overnight attendant.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dreher Island State Park is about 20 miles from Newberry. Popular park. They are currently upgrading one loop of campsites to FH. This puts you close to Columbia, SC as well.

There is also a KOA in the area and some other commercial/private campgrounds that I have driven by but know nothing about.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Are you in northern Texas or in southern Texas? That would make a difference on what interstate you would take east. Have you already planned your route? Looking at the map taking 20 all the way over to 26 would be the most direct. The only RV park I can recommend is Tannehill Iron works state park in Alabama just west of Birmingham. We have stayed there 2 times and enjoyed it. nice park with full hookups.

RV parky shows a couple of parks in Flat Rock but I can't say anything about those. Never been there. Been to Hendersonville though and it's a great town. The whole area is great to explore. You will be just south of Asheville so think about going to see the Biltmore Estate there. You didn't say any timeframe for your trip or what months. Fall is beautiful all through the area.