cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

McCall, ID to Idaho Falls Avoiding Boise

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Would love to avoid Boise in getting over to IF. Looking at 24 from Banks to Lowman. Good choice? Then Lowman, Stanley, Ketchun to 20/26 to IF. How does that look? Any input appreciated. Thank you. Betsy.
Betsy
15 REPLIES 15

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:
The blacktop pavement ended just east of Garden Valley and resumed at Lowman.

On the old AAA map that I used in 1991, the Garden Valley to Lowman stretch is a thin black line, different from the road to the east.

I remember it largely because it was detail that I missed on the map. It wasn't bad, especially in a pickup. The full day's drive was from Stanley to Joseph via Oxbow and F39. And part of a 8 day drive from Chicago.

In a more recent Idaho loop, May/June 2008, it was all paved with nice camping and hot springs options.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
My old mapping system shows it as Garden Valley Rd, NF-24

Old yes, but the current is Banks-Lowman Rd, 17.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Paulj:
Thats how I remember Banks to Lowman, gravel a little more than Forest Service Road. I think it was about same time as you in 1991!

I've lived here most of my life and i don't remember Banks to Lowman Hwy being gravel. Landmark Stanley rd maybe?

My first trip on that stretch was is 1978, and it wasn't paved. The road base was the native decomposing granite. The blacktop pavement ended just east of Garden Valley and resumed at Lowman. It is much wider now than it was but still twisty and scenic.

S Fk Payette W of Lowman from highway 17

Well, ok, 1978 I understand, but not 1991! As for your image, yes, I've got many of those looking down into the canyon.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Paulj:
Thats how I remember Banks to Lowman, gravel a little more than Forest Service Road. I think it was about same time as you in 1991!

I've lived here most of my life and i don't remember Banks to Lowman Hwy being gravel. Landmark Stanley rd maybe?

My first trip on that stretch was is 1978, and it wasn't paved. The road base was the native decomposing granite. The blacktop pavement ended just east of Garden Valley and resumed at Lowman. It is much wider now than it was but still twisty and scenic.

S Fk Payette W of Lowman from highway 17
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My old mapping system shows it as Garden Valley Rd, NF-24

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Paulj:

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Banks to Lowman is narrow and crooked. Been many years since we went that way.
Not sure it is now!

What you're describing sounds like Hwy 21 from Idaho City to Lowman. Narrow, hairpin curves and extreme drop offs.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mittshel wrote:
Thanks all. Renee I was hoping you would chime in. You always help me with my Idaho questions. Thank you. Betsy.

You're welcome, Betsy!! Haveva great trip and enjoy the road.

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Renee I was hoping you would chime in. You always help me with my Idaho questions. Thank you. Betsy.
Betsy

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mittshel wrote:
Would love to avoid Boise in getting over to IF. Looking at 24 from Banks to Lowman. Good choice? Then Lowman, Stanley, Ketchun to 20/26 to IF. How does that look? Any input appreciated. Thank you. Betsy.

If you mean Banks to Lowman (through the Garden Valley area) that is a very good road and taken by a lot of RV'ers to get to Stanley. We take that route all the time to go camping up in the Stanley area. The Banks Lowman road that connects Hwy 55 and Hwy 21 at Lowman is a good wide, well paved two lane road. Curvy in some places, but very do-able, and some grades, but relatively smooth going. There are some good turn outs along the way and one wide one at Banner Summit to stretch your legs and use the outhouse there. Yes, Stanley to Ketchum on Hwy 75 over Galena Summit is scenic. Winding at the top of the summit, but downhill after that and again, a lot of RV'ers use that route.

Quite a few campgrounds along that route and boondocking areas to pull over. If you prefer RV parks, you could take 75 to Challis and along the way is Torrey's Burnt Creek Inn and RV park right on the Salmon River. At Challis you would take Hwy 93 to Arco, then 26/20 all the way into Idaho Falls. Scenic in its own way via the Peaks to Craters Scenic Byway.

If you're going to stay at Torrey's, call ahead. Anne and Robert own the place and tell them Renee referred you. I sell my cards of watercolors in their shop.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Paulj:

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Idaho DOT reports some construction along this route

- 55 before the Banks turn off has major construction work; they recommend US95 for larger vehicles. (traffic on 55 can be heavy around holidays and weekends because it's the main route between the big city and the mountain resorts.)

- 21 east of Lowman is getting chipseal work, which is messy to drive past.

- I84 has some shoulder and median work, but nothing that would slow traffic.

US95 to I84 might well be the smoothest driving, even if it's a bit longer.

The drive through the mountains via Lowman is nice, but best if you take time to camp and test the hot springs.

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember that "Summertime" is also "Construction Season". Avoiding the Interstate highway means smaller roads often with only a single lane in each direction. When you hit construction zones they are often single lane with a pilot car and can often have waits up to an hour before the pilot car is ready to take you in the direction you want to go.

My late wife and I made the same trip back in the late 90's and were lucky enough to encounter two of those situations as we traveled the back roads to Idaho Falls from McCall. At least while towing our trailer we had our kitchen and bathroom available while we sat and waited, waited, waited------
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Banks to Lowman is not bad. It curves some because it follows a river, but that also means it doesn't climb. It was gravel when I took it in 1991, but it's paved now. Further east it climbs to a broad pass before Stanley, but nothing steep.

More river side drive on 73 to Challis and Salmon. 75 to the south has a twistier stretch, but I haven't driven that. I'd go the Challis, and then US93 down a broad valley to IF.