Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

16' Scamp and 2018 Ram 2500 diesel

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Over kill? Hell yes!
But, I believe I would get around 17-18 mpg towing. With gas going through the roof, we are considering a 16 foot Scamp for long trips to visit family. (I don't fly) We used to travel in a 32 ft 5th wheel) Rather than to sell the truck which has 4 wheel drive and only 50,000 miles on it, we'd like to keep it. The truck gets 27 mpg hwy with 342 gear ratio, no wind doing 60 mph. It's comfortable and has a cap with a slide-out aluminum tray.
Is this a fair assessment? It seems to me that pulling a 2000 lb trailer with a low profile (7'.6") would be nothing to pull. I'm blocking most of the wind with the cap.
23 REPLIES 23

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
shelbyfv wrote:
Why would anyone else care what mileage OP gets?

The forum is a source of information and you will get poor newbies who will believe some of this...then they will discover reality and become frustrated with RVing because they got bad info.

Yes, driving slower and on flat ground helps but it helps in the sense of maybe an extra 10-20% on your MPG...it ain't going to double it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
If rude is calling out BS then I guess we are.
Just say no to the payload police :C

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Some of y'all are just rude. Your mamas would be embarrassed for you.

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:
There is always one or two trucks that get phenomenally better fuel mileage than the 10s or 100s of 1000s of others of the same vintage on RV or camping related boards. It's a law of nature.

spoon059 wrote:
Yea... call me skeptical.

A nice way of saying he's full of it LOL.

No there are not.
Plain and simple these people are full of you know what.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do it! Let 'em laugh about it!....gonna step out on and unfamiliar limb and say you likely won't need a W.D. Hitch...............
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
shelbyfv wrote:

One might ask why YOU would care what I care about. But that's hypothetical, because we all know why we are commenting about his incredible fuel mileage claims.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer II
Explorer II
There is always one or two trucks that get phenomenally better fuel mileage than the 10s or 100s of 1000s of others of the same vintage on RV or camping related boards.
I honestly believe it has to do with environment and driving habits.

I live below 50ft above sea level and it's as flat as glass around here. I might get above 200ft going over a highway overpass. About 90% of my driving is as close to sea level as you can get without getting wet. My driving style is I ain't in no hurry.

Ford says my F150 can get 23MPG, I can get 25 hand calculated. My Taurus should get 29, I can get 33 hand calculated. Of coarse all of this is not towing.

BUT, when I drive through the hill country or the higher elevations around Amarillo you can throw all that out the window. My truck gets 16-18 in the hill country and the Taurus gets 26 in the Amarillo area.

Just my experience
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
PButler96 wrote:
There is always one or two trucks that get phenomenally better fuel mileage than the 10s or 100s of 1000s of others of the same vintage on RV or camping related boards. It's a law of nature.

spoon059 wrote:

If these reports had any shred of truth, the manufacturers would be showing up to buy these trucks, so they could tear them apart and find out why....and then replicate it in all their trucks.

The manufacturer who could put out a 1ton dually that can get 25-27mpg while pulling a decent size RV would quickly dominate the market. Heck, even 15-17mpg would be very impressive.

Yet, I've never heard anyone say they've sold their miracle truck back to the manufacturer and real life averages haven't changed noticeably even with these types of reports going back 20-30yrs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer

spoon059 wrote:

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you are pondering whether to get something smaller to tow the Scamp. This is not a good time to trade trucks.:( If you like what you have, keep it and enjoy the capability. Molded fiberglass trailers are a smart choice if the size works for you.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea... call me skeptical. Best I have ever gotten, empty, is 22. Ever. Bottom of the line Tradesman, crew cab, 6.5' bed, regular wheels and tires and a clean air filter.

Towing a small boat I got maybe 16. Towing my 32' travel trailer I get between 11-13 depending on trip and wind. I think that is pretty good mileage. People claiming to get in the 20's while towing... I'll be polite and say I'm skeptical.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Sure it did.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Ram 2500 CTD got more than 25 MPG while on the Natchez Trace for 400 miles at 50 MPH pulling our 20 foot Winnie , so it is possible !