cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good RV Mattress for heavier people

TnTtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the market for a new RV mattress. We've lived with the original factory cheapo mattress long enough. Now, DW has suffered a fracture to her back and it is causing difficulty in her sleep, so the search begins. Our mattress is a standard 60"X80" mattress size. We are hoping to receive input on a decent quality, affordable and comfy mattress that will not crush through and leave us laying onto the plywood foundation. (BTW, we are not 110 pound teenagers) Any guidance and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Tim and Tina (kudo too)
Livin' good, while the livin's good!

2005 Ford F350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short box
2007 Everest 295TS 5th Wheel, Superglide hitch
JT Stabilizers;)
Firestone Air Suspension System
TST tire pressure mntr system
13 REPLIES 13

TnTtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies! I see that many opt for using a residential mattress. I was under the impression that the weight of a residential mattress wasn't a good ida for an RV due to being hard on suspension and bringing the weight closer to max GVRW, especially pin weight as it is a 5th wheel trailer... but it sounds like it may not be a big deal. I think Costco will be my next stop. Thanks again.
Tim and Tina (kudo too)
Livin' good, while the livin's good!

2005 Ford F350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short box
2007 Everest 295TS 5th Wheel, Superglide hitch
JT Stabilizers;)
Firestone Air Suspension System
TST tire pressure mntr system

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
from personal experience, I would stay away from any kind of foam or memory foam mattress. I'm not suggesting I have tried all of them, but I have found they are too soft and sag towards the middle. Most important if you do try one, make sure you can return it or donate it for full refund if you don't like it. We have a sleep number at home and the best part is if it is too soft, you add more air to make it harder.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you belong to Costco you can return a bed if you don't like it. We have the 14" memory foam king mattress at home and the 12" memory foam queen in the camper.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
If support and comfort are important have a custom mattress made.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
We have put a Signature Design by Ashley Chime from Amazon. It is very comfortable and currently under $300 for the 10in Queen.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We swear by Sleep Number, can adjust each side of the bed to your comfort level. Each time we traded up (3 times) the Sleep Number was the first thing transferred.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you can try Verlo. We've tried most of them and think they are the best but $$$
Remember you spend 1/3 of your life on a mattress so $$$ may not be so high when you think of how it's used.
P.S. we have them on both our RV and stick house.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on going to a mattress store in your area since you actually have a standard queen in your RV. When we had a rig with a standard queen we would always buy locally from a furniture or mattress store, we find it best to at least try mattress out before purchasing. We are on our 6th RV in 30+ years of enjoying this pastime and we have either replace entire mattress our added a high end topper to existing mattress for each rig. We have tried bed in a box type mattresses (for our home) purchased online and have been pleasantly surprised how comfortable they are.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you are happy with the mattress in your home, have you tried to buy one from the same manufacturer in the appropriate size? I did and it is great!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Bed In A Box. They have a wide variety of mattresses. We’ve had one in the house for a year now and it’s great. They send it to you rolled up in a box. You take it out of the box, after removing the plastic wrap, place it on the bed platform, some more cutting and low a behold it expands out to a a mattress. You can try it for a while, and if you don’t like it they will come get it.

The down side is you then have to get your old mattress hauled off.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a foam mattress that is 7 inches thick. It has 5 inches of firm foam and 2 inches of memory foam. Cost was $659 and we haven't picked it up yet. Due to shape of the mattress the cost would have been prohibited to make one with springs and a pillow top.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
60x80 is a standard Queen size, go to a mattress store and find the one you like and buy that. They may even deliver and pickup to old one.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a good memory foam topper to go on top of your mattress
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper