Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smaller Couples Trailer with a Slide Out + Queen Bed

westcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

My wife and I only camp a couple times each year and are looking for a smaller (for towing with Chevy Blazer) trailer with a stationary queen (or king) bed on one end (preferably with access from both sides, and perhaps a hybrid-like pop-out bed (or other bed option) on the other end to accommodate the occasional visit by one of our grown kids. Our ideal trailer would also have a small slide-out on the side for the table, seats, or whatever.

Would appreciate any suggestions. We're open minded to the possibilities.

Thanks!

Rick
20 REPLIES 20

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.allencampermfg.com/up-to-29'-travel-trailers
Small old local RV company for 65 years. Bought my 1st new 8' truck camper from them in 1972.
Truck camper market left the state years back and now they mfg just TTs and 5th wheel trailers.
Check out the 215 BH model. Small (rear) bunk house model,
1625 CCC
3375 dry weight
21' long
7' 6" wide.

I don't think you will like pulling a high side wall TT with a 112" wb small suv.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Your Blazer is pretty capable for a little suv. But while you got the horsepower, I wouldn’t want to tax the rest of the drivetrain too much.
Best fit is like a 18-19’ Rpod or other canned ham trailer for aerodynamics. And you can get a slide out in many of those models and be around 4klbs loaded.
I wouldn’t want to tow a square box TT.

Buddy pulled a similar size/weight Airstream with a XC90. Said it was not bad.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jusfloors
Explorer
Explorer
Check out utube Traveling Robert he has a trailer that might work.

johned
Explorer
Explorer
My son bought a 19 model Sonic a year ago. I got on their site and apparently they no longer make that model. Be careful with these trailers. They're very light which would fit your needs, but the build quality is terrible even by current RV standards. His tv was screwed into the wall with no solid backing and fell off their first trip. This winter while putting a cover on it we heard the roof structure crack from my son's weight (this was after the dealer said it would easily handle his weight). I would stay away from these trailers.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
We have a keystone Springdale 257rl. Couples unit with slideout. Half ton truck needed.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The Sonic looks pretty good for OP's requirements.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked out any of the teardrops with slides? It seems to me RPOD has a 19 foot with a queen and a slide. It’s been a while since we looked though so not sure.

Happy hunting and good luck.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
195RB doesn’t appear to have a sink in the potty/shower area leaving shaving, tooth brushing and hand washing to the kitchen sink.

Correct!

With only 22' overall (Jaycos brochure mentions it is overall meaning including tongue) and a queen bed, there must be SOME "sacrifices" that happen. Something has to be removed or downsized to fit needed items, a second sink in this case is redundant and lost the fight to stay.

Layouts on paper often do not give you a good "picture" of the space, once you physically in that physical space, then you get a better understanding of the problem.

I owned a 20ft TT (not including tongue which means the box was about 1 ft longer than the 195RB) at one time which had full bath with tub, toilet and bathroom sink in it.. There was absolutely no room for a Queen size bed, only a full sized bed.

To get everything we wanted in a readily available commercially built TT we had to look at 30Ft+ trailers.. But with some creativity, I was able to fit our entire wishlist into a 26ft foot print and then found and rebuilt a used 26ft TT to suit us.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good morning Rick,
I would take a look at the Sonice "Venture" line of trailers which may fit most of your requirements. In the one linked, you could always convert the dinette to a bed for the occasional grandkid or guest.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
When looking at trailers, use the GVWR of the trailer not the empty weight. No one goes camping with an empty trailer and you would be amazed how much stuff get packed in over time. Even if you think you pack light, the propane, water, battery, etc...can quickly add 600-800lb.

Related to that, assume 15% of the GVWR as hitch weight (the listed hitch weight assumes an empty trailer). The hitch itself will have a weight rating but also the hitch weight counts against payload. Add in people and gear in the truck and hitch weight and check against payload...often you run out of payload before you run out of tow rating.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
195RB doesn’t appear to have a sink in the potty/shower area leaving shaving, tooth brushing and hand washing to the kitchen sink.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
westcamp wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Based on your responses I'm going to amend my query ...

Any ideas on trailers with a queen bed on one end and a murphy bed on the other ?

OR, a stationary queen bed on one end and a pop-out bed on the other end (so only 1 pop-out).

And under 4500 lbs.

Thanks!

I think you will be hard pressed to find any of your wish list in a hardsided TT with 4500 lb weight restriction.

Queen beds and slides tend to be in larger and heavier TTs.

Here is an example of a 20' "lite weight" trailer which just barely is under your required weight at 4,005 lbs and keeping in mind that once loaded that trailer is going to well over exceed your vehicles specifications.

JAYCO 173MRB

Click For Full-Size Image.

Notice that there is room only for that fold down "murphy bed" and trailer only sleeps 3.

Found another Jayco HERE (195RB) which is lighter at 3,030 lbs, sleeps up to 4 and is about 22ft in length. Down side is it is narrow at 7 ft width..

Click For Full-Size Image.

Be very aware, many of these "lite weight" trailers, a lot of sacrifices to trim the weight have been made. Typically the floor suffers the most, they use thinner materials in the floor which results in a spongy floor that can be damaged very easily just by walking on it.

You pretty much need to be looking at "hybrid" trailers which have hard sides but tent pullouts for the beds.

Not saying it isn't possible to find everything on your wish list, but with only 4,500 lbs it really limits what you will find on your wishlist.. Just not enough vehicle for your list.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You seem to be "fixed" on your tow vehicle's max trailer weight. What is your TV's payload max? It is on the same driver's door sticker as your max trailer weight.

westcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses everyone. Based on your responses I'm going to amend my query ...

Any ideas on trailers with a queen bed on one end and a murphy bed on the other ?

OR, a stationary queen bed on one end and a pop-out bed on the other end (so only 1 pop-out).

And under 4500 lbs.

Thanks!