cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

coleman air boat anchor or not

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
My coleman roof air died in the Black Hills. We communicated with a mobile tech who was very busy, and was unable to visit our RV but very helpful. He looked at that photos and was very sure that the compressor was dead because of oil stains within the cover. As I understand from research this is closed system and there is no option for repair. I drove into Rapid City and purchased a portable to survive. Called ahead and had a new unit sent to friends in ND where we will be soon. The question is easy.
Is there a way to repair the old unit, and is it worth it. Seems someone could repair the compressor and replace the freon. Is this a fools errand? Is no repair possible ?
Thanks in advance!
You folks continue to save my ashfalt
jim
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014
7 REPLIES 7

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
If you found an AC tech who was good there'd be no problem for them cutting out the compressor, adding in valves to hook their line set to, and replacing the compressor with a similar size and rating unit. The problem is that by the time you pay for the compressor and a half day of labor you're probably 80-90% of the way to a new unit.

1st , without an actual diagnosis no one knows WHY the unit doesn't cool. Yes, oil on refrigerant lines most times do indicate a refrigerant leak but we don't know . .
If the compressor is good then the unit is repairable unless you have a leak in one of the coils. I have fixed many a leaking coil but the small coils on these after you cut back fins you just lose too much capacity, imho.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RLS7201 wrote:
Repair is possible but not economical. Compressors are available and changeable and fittings can be installed to evacuate and recharge. Also a filter dryer should be installed. I am licensed and would accept the challenge if it was my AC. I find it amazing that the 2 ACs on my 95 Bounder are original and functional.

Richard

I have replaced RV AC components since 1979 when I started as a RV Tech. I have been licensed since 1980 and approved by both Dometic and Coleman. 43 years ago both Dometic and Coleman paid for Compressor and evap and condensor replacement because at $35 labor rate it was economically feasable to do. Starting about 1992, Both Coleman and Dometic STOPPED selling compressors. They determined with Labor rates that a leaker or Bad Compressor it was cheaper to replace the upper unit. So, while you may be licensed, I think it would be VERY HARD to find a Dometic or Coleman Compressor since they don't offer or sell them. Also, I would charge at least $400 to $500 labor and part(if I could find the compressor) to fix a unit. Then WHY? For $300 more you could buy a new unit with a warranty. The plain fact is, RV AC units, if a bad compressor, you replace the complete upper unit. If you have a leaker, then you have to determine if it is worth paying $200 to $300 to find and solder/brase the leak install schrader valves(NOT LINE TAPS) and evac and recharge with a dial a charge. PLUS either Freon(or 410) cost. Doug

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
oh, that! i was hoping to see a Coleman Air Boat.

Me to. I love smoked gouda. Cheers to cheese heads

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
oh, that! i was hoping to see a Coleman Air Boat.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you found an AC tech who was good there'd be no problem for them cutting out the compressor, adding in valves to hook their line set to, and replacing the compressor with a similar size and rating unit. The problem is that by the time you pay for the compressor and a half day of labor you're probably 80-90% of the way to a new unit.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Repair is possible but not economical. Compressors are available and changeable and fittings can be installed to evacuate and recharge. Also a filter dryer should be installed. I am licensed and would accept the challenge if it was my AC. I find it amazing that the 2 ACs on my 95 Bounder are original and functional.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s not serviceableโ€ฆGo with a replacementโ€ฆ