cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Ford F-150 and Four Wheel Camper Make Alaska Run

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
This should be an interesting series to watch. The easy part of the trip, the first 1,082.4 miles they only stoped to charge 9 times. They are traveling with an F-150 hybrid with a built-in generator that can charge the Lightning if they get in a pinch. Of course it took an hour and thirty-eight minutes for the Lightning to charge 8-percent and used a gallon of fuel.
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-beast/electric-ford-f-150-and-four-wheel-camper-make-alas...
32 REPLIES 32

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
3 tons wrote:
Electric doesn't resolve anything (except to relocate urban pollution to a power-plant), but it makes folks feel good and they're fun to drive (shush!!โ€ฆ.especially with gov subsidies!!)โ€ฆ

From a slightly different perspective, I can see where they might make โ€˜rational senseโ€™ where one commutes but has a decent solar and battery set-up at home - itโ€™s been reported that home utility charging Kw rates are often as much as gasolineโ€ฆ

On a different note, a modern petro powered automoblle is very nearly a pollution free vehicle (except for CO2 and water vapor), meaning much cleaner than the power produced at the power-plant and โ€˜sucked upโ€™ by EVโ€™s - a home solar and power-wall can close the EV loopโ€ฆ

(bring on โ€˜the hatersโ€™ - lol ๐Ÿ™‚ )

3 tons

That makes perfect sense to me but of course your leaving the most important part and that is regulation. The government cannot regulate something as small as your description so it must be a huge conglomerate in order to line pockets. There is a scam right now in Florida and itโ€™s everything I spoke of in this post. The state of Florida will pay for the actual parts of a solar install and thatโ€™s great but the catch is that the labor to install it comes with a thirty year mortgage. Again nothing is st it seems just like the EV.

Youโ€™ve nailed it, but like designer clothes and such, cost (or critical thinking - R.I.P.) doesnโ€™t seem to matter much where the opportunity presents itself to project โ€˜green trendinessโ€™ - lol

Follow the marketing (of self-esteem) and the moola - heck, whatโ€™s not to like??

3 tons

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
BigSwick wrote:
I have heard that it costs like a buck a minute for every minute your car stays plugged in AFTER it is fully charged. So, don't walk over to that Burger King for lunch and be late coming back, or that $10 combo special will really cost you!

Yah its not cheap although we have never had to pay it. I can't remember how much it is and I think it varies depending on the location.

If we want to have a relaxed lunch we'll pic a slower 50 KW charger on a public network.

See the two FLO chargers on the left? Those are 50 kw chargers. Nice relaxed lunch. See the pretty red Tesla chargers on the right?. Those are 250 KW chargers. They are more of a gitterdun kind of affair. Electrify America and Electrify Canada have even faster chargers (350 KW) but currently no EV charges at that speed. The new Tesla V4 chargers being produced at the Tesla New York factory will look different and be (reportedly 350 KW) as well. Apparently the cybertrucks will charge close to that fast.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
There aren't any perpetual motion machines.

However, it seems like many EV owners/proponents think they exist. Even if you buy solar panels, they and the batteries aren't free and the emissions required to produce them aren't clean or green either.

Whether it came from fossil fuel or hydro, it still isn't green. There are many fisherman out there that fight every dam because dams impact the environment in a negative way. Of course, wind and wave power does as well because you have to make the components to produce power.

It's more efficient to burn fossil fuel than to convert it to the green choices. You don't have to like it, but at the end of the day, you can't produce electricity without energy being lost.

But back to RVing, you can't easily RV with EVs unless you don't travel very far in a day. But even if you did, you'd still need some other fuel to power it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that it costs like a buck a minute for every minute your car stays plugged in AFTER it is fully charged. So, don't walk over to that Burger King for lunch and be late coming back, or that $10 combo special will really cost you!

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
One more pic Joe. This is a combination FLO and Tesla site. So this kinda shows the different approach FLO has taken with their DC Fast chargers. The FLO units are self contained. The entire unit is in that fat blue cabinet.

The Tesla units are just the pedestals. They have the electronics contained in the other cabinets and the pedestals are just a fancy place to hang the cable. They both produce the same product. 400 volt DC at high current levels. Hope that helps.

A better pic. This is the supercharger and FLO site about a block from our house.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reisender wrote:
Hi Joe. What looks like generators at a Supercharger are the actual charger racks. The other things with the cord and the connectors are just the pedestals. The actual electronics is actually are in the cabinets that look like generators but they are not.

Here is a pic. This is a trailer slot but you can see the cabinets on the left and another dozen pedestals in the background.

Here is another pic. Those are the inverter racks on the right.

Ok reis, and thanks. That makes senseโ€ฆ thank you for pointing these things out to this old timer. Set in his ways old timer.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
Electric doesn't resolve anything (except to relocate urban pollution to a power-plant), but it makes folks feel good and they're fun to drive (shush!!โ€ฆ.especially with gov subsidies!!)โ€ฆ

From a slightly different perspective, I can see where they might make โ€˜rational senseโ€™ where one commutes but has a decent solar and battery set-up at home - itโ€™s been reported that home utility charging Kw rates are often as much as gasolineโ€ฆ

On a different note, a modern petro powered automoblle is very nearly a pollution free vehicle (except for CO2 and water vapor), meaning much cleaner than the power produced at the power-plant and โ€˜sucked upโ€™ by EVโ€™s - a home solar and power-wall can close the EV loopโ€ฆ

3 tons

That makes perfect sense to me but of course your leaving the most important part and that is regulation. The government cannot regulate something as small as your description so it must be a huge conglomerate in order to line pockets. There is a scam right now in Florida and itโ€™s everything I spoke of in this post. The state of Florida will pay for the actual parts of a solar install and thatโ€™s great but the catch is that the labor to install it comes with a thirty year mortgage. Again nothing is st it seems just like the EV.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Hi Joe. What looks like generators at a Supercharger are the actual charger racks. The other things with the cord and the connectors are just the pedestals. The actual electronics is actually are in the cabinets that look like generators but they are not.

Here is a pic. This is a trailer slot but you can see the cabinets on the left and another dozen pedestals in the background.

Here is another pic. Those are the inverter racks on the right.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer

3 tons

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
notsobigjoe wrote:
Reisender wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
Reisender wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
Reisender wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
Can't help but notice that no one is charging their electric car in the second photo. Where in the pristine forest I did they put the diesel generator to power the electric cords that power the electric cars? Nothing political I assure you but I'm curious where all of this electric powered stuff is going to get their power from. Who pays for the fuel that is trucked to the generators that power the electric cars and who pays for the maintenance of the same. Is it taxes. If so when we all buy an electric car instead of a fuel driven car can we expect our taxes to go way up? The electric grid maintenance workers will want to unionize and that will drive prices up. Everyone who owns an electric car lets say 400 million on the roads are going to have an incredible amount of waste that will of course have to recycled or put in a special landfill. Uneducated people in charge will of course see a need for yet more conservation and put limits on the electric vehicles all in the name of the planet and their pockets. That leads to the question of heating our homes with the same dirty polluting fossil fuels that the electric cars are fighting against. A scenario we already have in place with fossil fuels.

Good morning. Are we looking at different pictures? There is a blue car charging at the far station.

I have never seen a diesel generator at any charge station anywhere in Canada and we have used hundreds across the country. In the case of this pic you can see the BC hydro transformer in the pic.

Good morning to you, I know know the post sounds snarky it is not meant to be. I do not have a clue as to how anything operates in Canada. I would be lying if I told you I did. Here where I live in Florida and my home town of Binghamton ny these charging stations are hooked into the established power grid. As you get further out of town in both states you lose the established grid and the charging stations are right next to the generator. I believe you plug the car in and the generator turns on. My question or point that I poorly made is what is the difference between the electric vehicle and the well established fossil fuel system. Please donโ€™t compare apples to oranges you and I know that a great of pollution is put into our environment by building either car. They both make pollution in there own way. My question is why change one system to a new system thatโ€™s produces exactly the same outcome in the long run. What is a hydro transformer. Thanks, joe

Hi Joe. Yah. Not up on how it is down there.

BC hydro is the name of our provincial utility. Up here the word hydro is synonymous with โ€œpowerโ€. So for example someone may ask you. Hey Joe, how big was your hydro bill this month? Meaning how big was your power bill. So a BC hydro transformer is just an electrical transformer. Itโ€™s the same in a few other provinces, for example, Hydro Quebec etc.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, this is similar to what I was talking about here where I live the article is from Australia but the pic says it all. Again not being a smarty pants just pointing out what I see.
https://joannenova.com.au/2019/08/the-diesel-generator-behind-the-electric-car-charging-point/

Hi Joe. I got a few replies from the Central Florida Electric Vehicle Association on facebook. I took a screen shot of one of them. What you may have seen is the Florida power and light test bed. Sounds like it may be pallet mounted and one person on another group felt it was painted a light tan colour. Maybe that is what you saw. Anyway, sounds like it is a work in progress. Here is the screen shot.

We have camping friends in Florida and are hoping to camp thru that area in early spring of 2024...ish.

Cheers.

I believe you have cleared up my misconceptions. That is what I see here in Florida but in my it looked like a generator. Either way thanks for clearing that up. Donโ€™t come to Florida now if you know whatโ€™s good for you. Hot as helll! See you in the spring of 24โ€ฆ

Not to beat a dead horse but I'm home and at my computer. I do not know if this is the company or even in this country but this is pretty much what I'm seeing minus the propellers. You have peaked my interest so much that I'm going to drive to the location this weekend and take a pic. This technology is being used and does exist. If I was wrong about the diesel generator part my apologies.

https://www.power-sonic.com/evesco/off-grid-ev-charging/

The second article contains the exact thing I saw in upstate ny. It was a tesla charging station on the outskirts of Chenango bridge. It's the fourth picture down. Are those Generators in the background? don't know. That's all I got my Canadian friend... Just had to be sure I wasn't seeing things.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ev-charging-stations

Older article,
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/03/tesla-factory-store-uses-diesel-generators-to-recharge-slow-moving-model-3-inventory/

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Lol. :). We melt in heat. Our friends told us early spring misses the hurricanes and the heat. So tentatively shooting for spring 2024.

If you see this rig you know we made it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reisender wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
Reisender wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
Reisender wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
Can't help but notice that no one is charging their electric car in the second photo. Where in the pristine forest I did they put the diesel generator to power the electric cords that power the electric cars? Nothing political I assure you but I'm curious where all of this electric powered stuff is going to get their power from. Who pays for the fuel that is trucked to the generators that power the electric cars and who pays for the maintenance of the same. Is it taxes. If so when we all buy an electric car instead of a fuel driven car can we expect our taxes to go way up? The electric grid maintenance workers will want to unionize and that will drive prices up. Everyone who owns an electric car lets say 400 million on the roads are going to have an incredible amount of waste that will of course have to recycled or put in a special landfill. Uneducated people in charge will of course see a need for yet more conservation and put limits on the electric vehicles all in the name of the planet and their pockets. That leads to the question of heating our homes with the same dirty polluting fossil fuels that the electric cars are fighting against. A scenario we already have in place with fossil fuels.

Good morning. Are we looking at different pictures? There is a blue car charging at the far station.

I have never seen a diesel generator at any charge station anywhere in Canada and we have used hundreds across the country. In the case of this pic you can see the BC hydro transformer in the pic.

Good morning to you, I know know the post sounds snarky it is not meant to be. I do not have a clue as to how anything operates in Canada. I would be lying if I told you I did. Here where I live in Florida and my home town of Binghamton ny these charging stations are hooked into the established power grid. As you get further out of town in both states you lose the established grid and the charging stations are right next to the generator. I believe you plug the car in and the generator turns on. My question or point that I poorly made is what is the difference between the electric vehicle and the well established fossil fuel system. Please donโ€™t compare apples to oranges you and I know that a great of pollution is put into our environment by building either car. They both make pollution in there own way. My question is why change one system to a new system thatโ€™s produces exactly the same outcome in the long run. What is a hydro transformer. Thanks, joe

BC hydro is the name of our provincial utility. Up here the word hydro is synonymous with โ€œpowerโ€. So for example someone may ask you. Hey Joe, how big was your hydro bill this month? Meaning how big was your power bill. So a BC hydro transformer is just an electrical transformer. Itโ€™s the same in a few other provinces, for example, Hydro Quebec etc.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, this is similar to what I was talking about here where I live the article is from Australia but the pic says it all. Again not being a smarty pants just pointing out what I see.
https://joannenova.com.au/2019/08/the-diesel-generator-behind-the-electric-car-charging-point/

Hi Joe. I got a few replies from the Central Florida Electric Vehicle Association on facebook. I took a screen shot of one of them. What you may have seen is the Florida power and light test bed. Sounds like it may be pallet mounted and one person on another group felt it was painted a light tan colour. Maybe that is what you saw. Anyway, sounds like it is a work in progress. Here is the screen shot.

We have camping friends in Florida and are hoping to camp thru that area in early spring of 2024...ish.

Cheers.

I believe you have cleared up my misconceptions. That is what I see here in Florida but in my it looked like a generator. Either way thanks for clearing that up. Donโ€™t come to Florida now if you know whatโ€™s good for you. Hot as helll! See you in the spring of 24โ€ฆ

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
notsobigjoe wrote:
Reisender wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
Reisender wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
I've been reading for hours on this subject and have come to the conclusion of "whatever"
EV owners pay for their fuel just like fuel owners do. The trade off is without a doubt the wait for the charge to complete cheaply as opposed to fueling up and going expensively. The myEV article does a great job with the selling points of an EV but treads ever so lightly around the actual cost of running one but any fuel car dealer would do this as well. The more EV's there are the greater the cost will be and the larger the environmental footprint. Electricity will not be cheap in this fossil free world and the roads will not be free of pollution and everything else we have already. Although very, very interesting, in my humble opinion it will be a complete waste of time and very profitable for the same people that already profit off of fossil fuels.
https://www.myev.com/research/ev-101/what-it-costs-to-charge-an-electric-vehicle
https://www.plugshare.com/?latitude=38.895185&longitude=-77.036366&spanLat=0.335077&spanLng=0.986023
https://chargehub.com/en/countries/united-states/florida.html

At some point the gubmint entities will need to replace the revenue currently paid in the form of fuel taxes. The EV proponents are mum for the most part concerning that as "EVs are cheaper to operate" is a common rant, but it's coming in one form or another. Probably some type of mileage tax.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.