cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling 2018 F150 to upgrade to 2022 F150 - worth it or not?

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys so money is pretty tight for me right now. I've got a 2018 Ford F150 with about 60,000 miles that I'm financing with about 7 grand left to pay off. I'm tossing around the idea of selling the truck privately and have seen similar used 2018 F150s selling online for 25 to 30k, realistically in a private sale I expect could maybe get 20 to 22k.

Then I would pay off the 7k remaining on the 2018 F150 and use the remaining cash from the private sale to put a 4 or 5k down payment on a 2022 F150, hopefully NET'ing 10k+ from the sale after all is said and done, although of course I would then have a whole new truck to pay off.

My question is: have any of you done something like this and is it worth the trouble? I've seen a lot of headlines that the used car market bubble has "popped" whatever that means. Are people having trouble selling their used trucks right now?

I know that selling a vehicle privately can be a challenge and times are kinda crazy right now so I'm definitely not sure about doing this, but really need the cash. Appreciate any feedback/thoughts/experiences on this.
36 REPLIES 36

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect he did not get the advice he was hoping for. It sounded like new-truck-itis from the start to me.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Not sure what your point is. Not very many scenarios where trading in is beneficial for anything other than the convenience of not selling it outright.
This is another troll thread anyway me thinks
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
PA12DRVR wrote:
"Could be loaded cc 4wd and never cleaned and totally trashed out.
Could be a base model 1 wheeler peeler and cherry.
And another $20 that the OP doesn’t come back and respond anymore."

-- Where's the like button?
-- See the $20 and raise you another $40 on that same topic.

The issue is not so much selling the old truck regardless of its value.
The bigger issue is buying a new 2022 truck.
In the end buying a new truck is going to cost the OP more money, which the OP states is in short supply!

True, and while the OP has received much sage advice regarding financial responsibility, his story left so much to the imagination, greatest part being how/why he could only get $20k out of a 2018 F150.

"Only?" Best I can get out of my 2015 Silverado 1500 is $14K. Back in the spring the dealer I get all my service done at had an IDENTICAL truck as far as body config, color, trim level, mileage, and they wanted nearly $29K for it, and they would not budge a dime. Compared to mine it looked like it had been through the war.

What's mine worth? Meh, we'll give you $14K for it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
PA12DRVR wrote:

In the end buying a new truck is going to cost the OP more money, which the OP states is in short supply!

True, and while the OP has received much sage advice regarding financial responsibility, his story left so much to the imagination, greatest part being how/why he could only get $20k out of a 2018 F150.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
PA12DRVR wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Around here that truck would bring in the mid $30k area. Son in law took his 2018 into dealer for service and was offered $36,000. I would never consider what OP suggested

But you don’t even know what it is other than a F150.
Could be loaded cc 4wd and never cleaned and totally trashed out.
And another $20 that the OP doesn’t come back and respond anymore.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Current administration keeps on they will be twice as much and electric.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Sometime over the last week, on both Fords and GM's Chevy or GMC build your truck feature, final overall pricing has went up @ $2800.00 +/-across the board when you configure one. Thats a fairly stiff increase overnight and probably reflects the fact that anything you order now is going to be a 2023 despite those websites still reflecting 2022 models.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard pass...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Around here that truck would bring in the mid $30k area. Son in law took his 2018 into dealer for service and was offered $36,000. I would never consider what OP suggested

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
mkirsch wrote:
What part of "money is tight" do you "Pay off the $7K" types not understand?

It's pretty much assured the OP does NOT have $7K laying around to pay off the truck, otherwise money would not be tight.

I must have missed the part where he was waiting around to have it repossessed. I don't think anybody was telling him to pay it off today. Continue making the payments until it is paid off.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
SpeakEasy wrote:
p220sigman wrote:
You are likely going the wrong direction if your goal is to be less tight on money. If anything, sell the '18 and look for something older you could pay cash for with the proceeds from the '18.

This is wisdom. If you (OP) are truly looking for advice, you can't get any better advice than this.

-Speak

This ^^^^^

Currently have a 2008 F250 and heading out to Montana staging for an Alaska trip next year. Paid $10k for the truck 4yrs ago.

If the OP get's $20k for his 2018, he could pay off $7k, buy a $10k truck and put $3k in the bank with no more payments.

Then if you want a newer truck, stockpile payments for 2-3yrs and pay cash, so money isn't "tight".
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
What part of "money is tight" do you "Pay off the $7K" types not understand?

It's pretty much assured the OP does NOT have $7K laying around to pay off the truck, otherwise money would not be tight.
The term then is to simply drive your way though it. Or in other words just keep making payments. Money will continue to be tight for the duration of the loan vs a few months of relief followed by a full 6 to 8 years of even tighter money.

Best to focus on increasing income instead of finding ways to spend money.