cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No 110/plug in for pop up

daveinSD
Explorer
Explorer
I was plugged in to house power, prepping pop up for weekend. I had a portable air conditioning unit plugged in and it was working fine. Then was the time to test batteries. Yes I have an inverter, and two batteries up front. As soon as I unplugged from shore power the whole rig lost power. I waited a bit, the camper has dome lights, and power to the radio inside, so its getting power, but no ability to plug in anything. NO circuit breakers blew, no fuses lit up.
So I plugged camper back in, and same result.
Anyone have any ideas? I've pretty much given up on the AC unit, assuming its pulling to much from the camper; I don't know.
But how do I get the 110 back?
Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
As was said above. You have a converter rather than an inverter if it came from the factory that way. Only DC power works unless you are plugged in.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
daveinSD wrote:
I was plugged in to house power, prepping pop up t, assuming its pulling to much from the camper; I don't know.
But how do I get the 110 back?
Thanks.

That's easy. I only quoted the key clue and the question.

First it's a PUP (Pop UP) so the odds it has an inverter approach ZERO. Now it has a converter (Device that makes 12 out of 120) but the Inverter (Does the inverse) no. that it won't have.

So when you are not "Plugged in" 120 volt outlets do not work. It's that simple.. It's "Working as designed". You don't normally find inverters as standard in RV's less than $100,000 dollars. (And I'm being very conservative. 200,000 might still be below the threshold)

The Big quarter million and up Diesel Pushers.. You might find one.

Why.. First you don't have the battery to run a big (Much over 100 watt) inverter.. oh a small one to charge up your cell phone or run your laptop yes. Even one big enough for a LCD tv.. yes.. But one big enough to run an Air Conditioner NO that takes more batteries than your trailer can hold.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
What surge protector do you have? Many cut off power when volts drop to 104-105. This protects your systems from damage due to low voltage. Things working now does not mean it is defective. Removing it may put your systems at risk. Does the surge protector reset after being off for a while?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check for low voltage while running. 108 is about minimum.

daveinSD
Explorer
Explorer
New development: I tried plugging back into house power once again and removed the RV surge protector. The 110 came back on. I guess that was my main concern.

daveinSD
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Does the portable work plugged into the home outlet directly?

Sure does. I am assuming (not knowing how to do the electronics math) that the ac is pulling to much from the inverter and shut everything down.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Your pop up has a converter and not an inverter. Unless you installed an inverter. 110 will not work off the battery. Its for dc, or 12 v stuff, like lights, water pump, and heater fan. Even if you installed an inverter, you wouldnt get much power. A converter converts 110 to 12v, a inverter creates 110 from 12v.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Two batteries up front are not ever going to power an air conditioner for longโ€ฆor not at all. By not describing your inverter I believe you only have a converter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
daveinSD wrote:
I just plugged ac into one of the ... plug ins. No special place for the inverter so I assumed the inverter is wired into all 3. Tried all 3 after and no joy. Also, no special fuse for inverter that i can see...all listed in volts. I called the guy who installed the extra battery in series and he said it may be a wiring issue in between the inverter and one of the plug ins. But now can't plug into anything. How would the ac affect no longer being able to have 11?

your going to have to a better job of describing what your issue is.

first link what inverter you have, and maybe some pictures of the wiring.

if the inverter is standalone, it should have nothing to do with the original wiring. check a circuit breaker both in the house and in the rv.

daveinSD
Explorer
Explorer
I just plugged ac into one of the ... plug ins. No special place for the inverter so I assumed the inverter is wired into all 3. Tried all 3 after and no joy. Also, no special fuse for inverter that i can see...all listed in volts. I called the guy who installed the extra battery in series and he said it may be a wiring issue in between the inverter and one of the plug ins. But now can't plug into anything. How would the ac affect no longer being able to have 11?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fuse in your inverter?

As littlebill said, you probably won't be able to run the ac off the inverter.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the portable work plugged into the home outlet directly?

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
did you plug into the inverter? what size is the inverter? you will probably not be able to run the ac off the inverter if that was your plan.