cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Security

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a second generator to parallel with our existing one to run our AC. One is stored in the front bay of our FW and we plan to carry the second one in the bed of our pickup. We're currently researching how to secure it and lock it to guard against theft. It has the theft deterrent bracket on the handle, and we found a theft proof cable, but am wondering what others have done to secure theirs in the bed. It shouldn't make any difference, but it's a Honda eu2000i. Thanks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton
27 REPLIES 27

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ReneeG wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œ and we found a theft proof cableโ€ฆโ€

LOL! Right!
It's akin to the albino unicorn. ๐Ÿ™‚

I dare you to watch the breakin attempt videos on the Vulcan brand Square Link Security Chain.

Lol, itโ€™s pretty secure with one of them as long as the thieves promise to use hand powered tools!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

LOL! Right!

I dare you to watch the breakin attempt videos on the Vulcan brand Square Link Security Chain.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:

LOL! Right!
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We are reinforcing the bottom of the front bay and will be carrying and storing it in there. So that is resolved.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer

LOL! Right!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:

Someone nuts enough to take a running gen out of ones truck bed while you are there takes guts, determination and a lot of stupidity..

Or a DA who is sympathetic to criminals.

Been to the Bay Area lately?

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
rbp111 wrote:
I have two Honda generators, one a eu2000i and the 2nd a eu2000i Companion. They both have the metal handle which is an extra expense as well as the lock which is made similar to the bike lock, only more durable.
Can a person still steal them? Of course. But they would have to work at it.

We just bought the metal anti-theft handle for the new one and ordered a chain.

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Honda generators, one a eu2000i and the 2nd a eu2000i Companion. They both have the metal handle which is an extra expense as well as the lock which is made similar to the bike lock, only more durable.
Can a person still steal them? Of course. But they would have to work at it.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
We are looking at Lockstraps. Check that out.

"as seen on TV" "shark tank" product..

Might stop a knife, but a steel cutoff wheel the cable won't stand a chance.

You say you store your other gen when not in use, store both in similar manor when not in use..

Someone nuts enough to take a running gen out of ones truck bed while you are there takes guts, determination and a lot of stupidity.. Stymie stupidity enough and they may be stupid enough to cause more problems..

Personally, if I felt this insecure at a campground, I would be packing up and finding one that is less seedy.

We ordered the vulcan chains.

It's not the campground necessarily, but more transit security. Once we're at camp, we'll store it in the basement.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:

"as seen on TV" "shark tank" product..

Might stop a knife, but a steel cutoff wheel the cable won't stand a chance.

You say you store your other gen when not in use, store both in similar manor when not in use..

Someone nuts enough to take a running gen out of ones truck bed while you are there takes guts, determination and a lot of stupidity.. Stymie stupidity enough and they may be stupid enough to cause more problems..

Personally, if I felt this insecure at a campground, I would be packing up and finding one that is less seedy.

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my gen chained in the truck bed along with a 2nd spare tire. It weighs 140lbs+. If someone really wanted to steal it no "special" cable or lock is going to stop them.
I agree that most thieves just look for an opportunity to grab something loose and easy to take.
Just say no to the payload police :C

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I bought Vulcan brand Square Link Security Chain, and a boron steel hexagon shackle pad lock from Amazon , this stuff isn't cheap
But its a lot less than buying a new Generator or motorcycle,
Made my choices after watching some destructive testing videos online, a locksmith could not cut the. Chain using very large bolt cutters fasten down to his work bench , he used Ratchet Straps or hydraulic rams for applying force to the cutter handles, the cutter jaws gave out and broke with out cutting the chain,

Thank you. We're checking on the chain and lock right now. This may be our best option, with concealing the generator in our bays when not in use same as we do our current single one.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
With the availability of cordless angle grinders, no cable or chain is "theft-proof" anymore. A good cutoff wheel will go through any of them quickly. But they are LOUD, so if you're nearby you should be alerted, or somebody should. Cables and chains will stop the casual thief, but a determined thief will find away. All you can do is make it as inconvenient as possible.

Big grinders, yes, they are loud, small "die grinders" with 3" wheels, not so much. I haven't found many "quiet" campgrounds either, always a lot of background noise all the way up to "quiet time".