cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patching an enclose underbelly

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
So, I pulled my rig in a massive rain storm and a few days later, I see water dripping from an opening in the underbelly material.

I'm thinking leaky plumbing so, I make a slit in the material so I could take a look. No leak so I assume it got in there from the rain.

So now I've made an unnecessary cut in my underbelly because there are
NO accessible fasteners to open it.

I've tried to you Gorilla tape to close it but it didn't stick.

Any sugestions?
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30
12 REPLIES 12

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I used a strip of plywood and screws with fender washers at least 4 seasons.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! The material is some sort of plastic center with black “fabric” on the outside.

I forgot about eterna bond! That stuff is great and that’s what I’ll be using.

Safe travels to all!

TD
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
On my TT the colerplast stuff was sagging , not from water or anytging , just from being bounced around. I got some galvanized corner beads for sheetrock and smashed them down and used the original bolts and washers to add extra support under the plastic sheets to hold them up nice and snug. So like horizontal cross bracing. This way it had more of a surface area to hold up the sheeting. So, maybe some tape, and reinforcement will work for you.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used gorilla tape on mine, you just have to clean the area real good first! Works great!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I used to cut a three sided flap with the solid side facing forward. Made sure the opening was wide enough for my shoulders to fit up and into the bottom.Then once finished up inside to reseal the flap I bought 2 inch by 1/2 inch thick wood slat, cut that wood so one inch would lay inside the cut out and one inch would lay where the flap would be and used 1 inch screws to secure the flap back into place. I used 3 pieces of wood to secure the flap. Then used either a quality tape or ran a bead of weatherproof sealant along the slit. If and when I need to get back into that space, the screws were easy to remove and reopen the flap.I made 4 of these under my 5th wheel for repairing either plumbing or slide out rams.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make Coroplast tape - I haven't tried it but it should work. I have a couple cuts in mine as well. I used what I had laying around. Not great, but hasn't come undone.

klutchdust wrote:
What material is the underbelly made of. If metal of some sort I would pop rivet an aluminum patch .

Usually it is Coroplast - - Coroplast at Lowes
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
What material is the underbelly made of. If metal of some sort I would pop rivet an aluminum patch .

^^^ What Jerry said..... Dry it all out and apply Eternabond
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have a fiber insulation in the belly, it should be dried out/replaced. You can make a 3 sided window for a better look, and then purchase an oversized piece of coroplast to cover. Sheet metal screws will hold the cover to existing coroplast.

Jerry

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond is ugly but it work well for that application. And it doesn't show anyway.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try Eternabond tape. It will stick.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad