cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery over charging.

eend
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 100 watt solar panels on my roof, and a Zamp solar controller which came standard with the trailer.

On the display it shows that the battery is sitting at 16 volt, when the sun is out and charging and I can hear the battery hissing.
I always thought that that the controller holds it at 12- 14 volt.

Does this mean that my controller is pooched?

With this over charging at 16 volt, my inverter wonโ€™t work either.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300
7 REPLIES 7

eend
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Voltage will rise as the plates become exposed to air...
Current will rise but not voltage while using a properly functioning controller. The controller should hold its 13.x to 14.x set point voltage up to its current limit regardless of battery condition. The voltage will decrease once the current limit is reached.

eend - Is this the same battery you said was toast or did you buy a new battery? My guess is your bad controller toasted the old battery.

I took the bad battery back to Costco last week and got a full refund and I bought a brand new one back.

But I did order a new controller yesterday so it should be here today according to my friends at Amazon.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
Voltage will rise as the plates become exposed to air...
Current will rise but not voltage while using a properly functioning controller. The controller should hold its 13.x to 14.x set point voltage up to its current limit regardless of battery condition. The voltage will decrease once the current limit is reached.

eend - Is this the same battery you said was toast or did you buy a new battery? My guess is your bad controller toasted the old battery.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œOn the display it shows that the battery is sitting at 16 voltโ€โ€ฆ

Not saying it is incorrect (??), but itโ€™s no substitute for a decent shunt-based meter - makes such validation (and much more like SOC, amps, history, etcโ€ฆ) a snapโ€ฆ:)โ€ฆBTW, if the controller is bad you might consider upgrading to a MPPT type controller to further exploit harvestโ€ฆ

3 tons

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
If your battery is a wet cell, have you checked the electrolyte levels lately? Voltage will rise as the plates become exposed to air... and battery will get hot and hiss as more electrolyte is gassed off.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Verify with a separate voltmeter. Otherwise need to disconnect solar asap and look for a new controller.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Time for a new controller IMOโ€ฆand quickly.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your Zamp is in 'equalize' mode, it's malfunctioning.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman