cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2022 Silverado 3.0 update

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Got to say I just love this truck. I've towed up to the mountains now three times and it just works incredibly well with 7,500 trailer and wood, generator and everything else in the bed. The towing mileage on my mountain trips average just about 14 mpg. I suspect it will be better on a flat tow drive. The last climb on the AZ-260 goes from around 5,600 ft to 7,600 feet in 3.5 miles and on the steepest part, it will increase speed noticeably if I put my foot into it. Very satisfied with the power and mileage. A couple of things I wanted to mention that caught me a bit off guard were #1 the tow mirrors,they have incredible lights that will light up the whole sides of the trailer like you would not believe. I didn't even realize these were there. Really cool option. The other thing is the way the truck with the NHT tow package handles compared to my Z71 I traded in. The Z71 was very soft and I personaly would not recommend the Z71 package for towing. The 5.3 8 speed pulled pretty good but nothing like the 3.0 10 speed with a 3.73 gear. Also if I set the cruise to 70 when not towing, it gets 31-32 mpg. I suspect if it had the standard 3.23 rear gear it would get better. Great little truck!
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley
12 REPLIES 12

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
All things that pollute are “being targeted” by the EPA and some states.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
The feedback on this motor has really pretty good. They spent enough time on getting it out, it should be pretty dialed in.

Did you find the amount of DEF you used to be excessive? Its the only point I have heard from those that I know who own one.

It just dropped to 3 bars (just under 1/2 tank) at 2900 miles and I put 2.5 gallons and that filled it up. Simple non issue
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Latner wrote:
LITEPHIL wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Latner wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Good report. It's shame that diesels are probably on the way out and Chevy's latest release of the Colorado no longer includes a diesel option.

GM is dropping the current 3.0, but replacing it with a new version for 2023.
New Duramax

Yes and it sounds like some good changes are coming, but I still believe diesels are being targeted by the EPA and worry they will be the first victom of the EV/EPA push.

1780 lbs with a 12,900 tow rating.
That's why I waited 3 years to buy mine. The new ones may have issues and I would still would have waited at least two years to buy one to be sure they were ok. Remember the LBZ back in 2007? It's now one of the most desirable Duramax engines. I didn't want to wait and I am totally satisfied with what sits in the driveway!

Just curious what your payload # is?

1780 lbs with a 12,900 tow rating.
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
LITEPHIL wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Latner wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Good report. It's shame that diesels are probably on the way out and Chevy's latest release of the Colorado no longer includes a diesel option.

New Duramax

Yes and it sounds like some good changes are coming, but I still believe diesels are being targeted by the EPA and worry they will be the first victom of the EV/EPA push.

That's why I waited 3 years to buy mine. The new ones may have issues and I would still would have waited at least two years to buy one to be sure they were ok. Remember the LBZ back in 2007? It's now one of the most desirable Duramax engines. I didn't want to wait and I am totally satisfied with what sits in the driveway!

Just curious what your payload # is?

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The feedback on this motor has really pretty good. They spent enough time on getting it out, it should be pretty dialed in.

Did you find the amount of DEF you used to be excessive? Its the only point I have heard from those that I know who own one.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Latner wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

New Duramax

2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Latner wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

New Duramax

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
FishOnOne wrote:

New Duramax

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. A couple things I forgot to mention. This was a little annoying but I can probably figure something out but, backing up a little hill to hitch up, the brake hold wouldn't release smoothly, so it was slightly frustrating since it would release abruptly. Probably a matter of hitting a switch and another thing worth mentioning was, those guys at TFL trucks said they couldn't get the engine brake to work but it works flawlessly and really holds the speed on the down hills. Not super impressed with those boys.
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with the Z71 package and have had no issues.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^Agree, good report! Glad you are enjoying your new truck! I figured early on, that truck would be a good fit for your needs. Seems even better than expected! 🙂

Mirror lights, shining rearward, a great idea too!

Jerry

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"