cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike Rack for Trailer hitch?

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to get a bike rack to bring along our 2 bikes when we go camping. My initial thought was getting a hitch rack, so we could use it on the truck or on the back of the trailer with a bumper hitch. (I did get a bumper hitch for the trailer already.)

However, I'm seeing product descriptions that make me think twice. I get the concept that the rear of trailer is going to bounce, putting more strain on the bike rack and the point where it connects to the bumper.

I'm looking to spend < $200, but wondering if I'd be able to get something of good quality that won't break the bank.

Note: This is the receiver I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZBN1IC
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
18 REPLIES 18

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yakima Bike Rack

This is the bike rack you need for the back of a trailer. You will notice it is a good solid rack made by Yakima. Most bike racks have a joint that folds allowing access to the back of a vehicle, but on this one it is fixed, it does not fold. This will not break with the bounce of the trailer. I have one on the back of my 5th wheel, bring up to 4 bikes, have traveled to Glacier from Seattle, never had a problem, only dirty bikes if we hit rain.

As everyone has said, do not use the bumper, that will go bad - period. I have a class 3 hitch welded to the frame of our trailer.

If you do this you can travel with good piece of mind.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkenyon2 wrote:
For any still following this, I'm thinking about this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EA6JMM

Did you see where it says " (ball mount not included; do not install on a trailer or towed vehicle)"?
Looks to me like it is designed for the receiver that comes on most 5th wheels and motorhomes and not on travel trailers or towed cars. Personally, I would not do it and always carried my bikes in the trailer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkenyon2 wrote:

This is what you should be looking at,

tongue mount bike rack
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rmnpcolorado
Explorer
Explorer
mkenyon2 wrote:

That doesn't look big enough to support two bikes on it solidly.

We have a Jack-It and really like it. The bikes don't move. The downside is on a nice summer evening, sometimes they collect their fair share of mosquitoes and bugs going down the road!
https://store.lci1.com/jack-it-double-bike-carrier-system-429756
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Max Tow
2023 Riverside RV Intrepid 240BHi

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mkenyon2 wrote:

with the forces a bike sees on the back of a trailer I would not use a carrier that doesn't cradle the tires.

And looking at the one in question, while Curt does make good stuff, relying on a clamp around the shank concept on the back of the trailer with strong vertical, horizontal and lateral forces just doesn't seem very good to me.

And the reciever you bought puts all the forces on the sheet metal bumper on the trailer. Don't rely on it.

Most hitches rated for use on a trailer state explicitly they are NOT warranted if you use that kind of reciever.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
another issue, when looking at bike racks, see how many are listed for trailer use...... VERY FEW, some for MH, 5th wheel, and only a few for back of a TT. The bike rack needs to withstand the shock it gets from the back of the trailer moving up and down over bumps etc. Those that are rated for trailer use are pretty heavy duty, finding ones capable of handling the weight of an e bike even harder to find.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Also, on the smaller lighter trailers the bumpers are usually rated to carry only a spare tire. It is not that manufacturer is going cheap. A heavy load on the rear makes the trailer very unstable while under way on a highway. You add a heavier bumper or hitch welded to frame and a couple of 65 lb ebikes you're asking for a jack knife. Some good videos on you tube regarding distributing weight on a trailer.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I like the front hitch, or even a dule tow hitch, but they can reduce tow capacity. If you have a pick up truck, the mat that goes over the tailgate is an option. It has the feont wheel over the tailgate and the rest of the bike upright in the bed of the truck. Saves space.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumper support
See the link above. I've watched a video just the other day where a couple put these on their trailer and then mounted bicycles on a hitch. I'm not guaranteeing it will work but it will work better than a trailer bumper without support.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I had a rear hitch that bolted to the trailer steel beams. My bike rack caused the steel beams to crack out where bolted. I suggest not putting bikes on the back of long trailers.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
another comment on trailer "bumpers" They aren't even a drawn steel tube, they are sheet metal with three bends to form a square and then a weld bead to close it up.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I solved this by getting a front hitch installed on my truck and putting a $150 Highland Sportwing carrier in it, it's spent about 30k miles up there in the last 6 years without any major issues. Total with installation for hitch was about $300.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

I almost lost a set of bikes back in the day due to the back bumper almost falling completely off from the bouncing of the rack and bikes..

In My Opinion, you would need to BEEF UP the rear bumper and supports B-4 doing a bike rack
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet