cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Words of Wisdom?

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
If any of you saw my post about my slide.....

Sooooo this is what happened!!

The reason this happened is the seal on the motor side somehow got stuck to the caulking on the slide, no idea why this would happen! So the motor side was stuck when I attempted to extend the slide not knowing it was stuck but then it broke free and the slide extended out.

So I think.....it is the motor side that jumped 3+ teeth (118.5 showing now) when it broke free.
I'm now thinking the motor side is the side I need to adjust (push slide in) to match passive side. Does this sound right? More I think about it the more sense it makes to me.
Passive side is showing 115 teeth.

I am going to attempt this on Wednesday. There is actually an access door to the motor underneath. Not sure what motor is down there but hope it is easy to disengage the gear. Then I will need to push that side of the slide in about 3 teeth worth. This slide is about 10' and holds the recliners and a table with 4 chairs.
Here is where I need your wisdom. Has anybody done this? Will I be able to push the slide in myself?

Thanks all! Oh, this is a through the frame slide, 2 rails with teeth on the bottom. It is NOT a in the wall schwintek!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
17 REPLIES 17

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Look at Page 36 for where these bolts and driveshaft are. Doug

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/slideouts/pg_82_s0503.pdf

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Each slide rack should have a 1 inch square steel driveshaft going from each end of the motor to that gear pack. Just 1 1/4 inch bolt holds the shaft to the end drive on each end. Go to the end that has slipped and remove that bolt. Then take a post it note and adhere to the outside flange. A note on each end. Measure the end of the slide you did NOT remove the bolt from. Write that measurement down on the post it note. Go to the released side and take the same type measurement. It WILL be different. Push or pull this released slide to match the measurement from the other side. Then go back to where you pulled the bolt and use a crescent wrench to turn the square drive shaft just enough to align the 1/4 inch holes and reinstall the removed bolt and nut. run the room in and out a few inches and remeasure. The measurement should be within 1/4 inch or exact. IF NOT, the redo this procedure. Doug

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
shastagary wrote:
there is a lot of information including operation installation and service manuals on through frame slideouts here that may be of help to some or just good to download for future reference

Through Frame Slideout Systems

Yup, unfortunately I could not find anything that would help me except some advice/ideas of others!

My Adventure Blog:

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
there is a lot of information including operation installation and service manuals on through frame slideouts here that may be of help to some or just good to download for future reference

Through Frame Slideout Systems

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Glad you got it all squared away! ๐Ÿ™‚

It will be nice to have a competent tech on this forum again, that is knowledgeable in adjusting rack and pinion electric slide systems.

Jerry

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
So thought I would give an update......
Finally got my slide all "straightened" out! I eventually lifted both inner rails and was able to disengage the gear pack. I could not push the slide in though so got an RV guy to come help. Long story short.....some of the adjusting bolts were loose, so over time, each time I put the slide in and out it was moving out of adjustment a little bit at a time and till finally.....way out!

Needless to say, I consider myself now VERY knowledgeable on through frame slides!! So if any of you need help with one let me know.

My Adventure Blog:

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
On my Power gear sometimes I'd let it "Jump" a tooth (Actually NOT recommended)

If I wished to do it right I'd run it out part way. then go down and pull a pin (Do not lose it) knock one gear "off track" adjust and restore gear to position. Restore washer/bushing (you need to be careful to not lose that) and the washer and pin.. I had enough practice I usually got it 1st Try.

Mine is way different then what you are describing! I only wish it was that easy!!

My Adventure Blog:

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Power gear sometimes I'd let it "Jump" a tooth (Actually NOT recommended)

If I wished to do it right I'd run it out part way. then go down and pull a pin (Do not lose it) knock one gear "off track" adjust and restore gear to position. Restore washer/bushing (you need to be careful to not lose that) and the washer and pin.. I had enough practice I usually got it 1st Try.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Not many knowledgeable slide out techs on this forum anymore. Two good ones are no longer active here.

My thought on motor side needing adjustment. If motor side seals properly, slide in/slide out, that side should be okay. Motor side has a stop can, to stop, and adjusting lock nuts when going the other way.

If the non-motorized side is not sealing in or out (one or other) by 1/2", there are a couple bolts on my similar slide arm to loosen, and push slide in/out, to adjust, whichever is needed.

On mine for horizontal adjust, there are two bolts each side to loosen, push slide, retighten when clearance is satisfactory.

Jerry

It is not a matter of sealing or not. The slide is crooked and binds. There are 3-4 more teeth showing on the motor side when fully extended. It was the motor side that got stuck which makes me think when it broke free it skipped a few teeth.

I have a new plan to try.....IF I can crank the slide by the manual override then I will remove the bolt on the passive side drive rod, then crank the slide in some (only the motor side will move) to line it back up with the passive side! Replace bolt in drive rod and should be good to go (fingers crossed!)

My Adventure Blog:

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not many knowledgeable slide out techs on this forum anymore. Two good ones are no longer active here.

My thought on motor side needing adjustment. If motor side seals properly, slide in/slide out, that side should be okay. Motor side has a stop can, to stop, and adjusting lock nuts when going the other way.

If the non-motorized side is not sealing in or out (one or other) by 1/2", there are a couple bolts on my similar slide arm to loosen, and push slide in/out, to adjust, whichever is needed.

On mine for horizontal adjust, there are two bolts each side to loosen, push slide, retighten when clearance is satisfactory.

Jerry

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
cj99 wrote:
yes and they are : dont buy a RV

Yes and they are?? Thanks for the help ๐Ÿ˜ž

My Adventure Blog:

cj99
Explorer
Explorer
yes and they are : dont buy a RV

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came up with another idea from some forum guys....I'm thinking I can disconnect passive side of the drive rod then slightly move the motor side with the motor. I'm just a little worried about getting the holes to line back up to reconnect drive rod.
But this seems the easiest way to do this since the drive rod is in the enclosed underbelly. Thoughts???

My Adventure Blog:

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
It won't help you but my Monaco has a built in winch and strap mounted in the storage bay to pull in the slide if for some reason it don't work as it should. Its just another of the little perks of a high end DP.

That's great! Yeah I have some ideas (jack related) if I am not able to push it in myself ๐Ÿ˜‰

My Adventure Blog: