Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: MotorTrend F150 Lightning Tow Test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> MotorTrend F150 Lightning Tow Test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be a late adopter to this technology.

MotorTrend

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Epic Fail...

What I don't like is Ford offers a tow package, but can only muster 90 miles towing ~8k lbs. I can't believe the auto industry is going full bore with these EV trucks.

Here's another fail by International truck.

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't buy one if it doesn't work for you. Wouldn't work for me either. [image]

vern kelly

la crescenta, ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/22 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford weighs 6500 lbs with less than 2000 payload. GVWR is 8250. Putting more batteries for range improvements would catapult the weight even more and affect insurance premiums, tire and suspension requirements, weight registration fees, cost and charge time.

But they are sold out!

1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Epic Fail...

What I don't like is Ford offers a tow package, but can only muster 90 miles towing ~8k lbs. I can't believe the auto industry is going full bore with these EV trucks.

Here's another fail by International truck.

Link

I agree that the Lightning is a fail since it fails to be effective at what its marketed for. But I watched the International video and I didn't see the "epic fail" you mentioned. I think the largely mythical Tesla Semi will be a failure because its been marketed as a replacement for a diesel over the road heavy truck, and it's pretty obvious it won't work in that application with current technology. But I think commercial EVs can be very successful in the right application- short haul, lots of stop and go- busses, dump trucks, delivery vans, etc. OTR or applications that have to run 24/7 to be profitable, not so much.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/22 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Technology is not there yet to allow for a towing EV to be used in the way in which most ICE tow rigs are used. The fact that they are sold out, doesn't mean much. The political push is toward EV's regardless how little practical use they have for anyone the tows something (and many light pickups don't tow anything anyway). When EV's are used commercially, the time to recharge is expensive in the sense that it slows down business activity and someone is getting paid to recharge the vehicle during the day. You can handpick specialized applications where 90 miles on a charge may work, but certainly not enough to convince the majority of business owners to get on board yet. Or anyone that needs to tow something in a reasonable time.

Someday things may be different, but certainly not today and tomorrow doesn't look real good either. The day that a battery is developed that holds more of a charge, is quick to recharge, lighter and hopefully doesn't use rare earth metals that are only found in China to build, will be a serious game changer. However until then, EV will be a hard row to hoe especially for those that tow.

The next issue will be the power companies, right now it is the oil companies that are beat with sticks at every opportunity. Wait until your house and vehicle are all powered by electricity, that in many places can only be provided by one company. The result of no competition will be massive price rises. They will have all their customers by the balls with no choice but to pay.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/22 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does not seem to cover much except range. If I need to tow my 9000 pound trailer with construction supplies and equipment 60 miles to the worksite and plug in 8 hours while I build something.... how does it actually tow?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/22 03:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another RVnet EV cluster thread....oh goody!....Let the dissertations commence LOL.

* This post was edited 08/03/22 03:21am by PButler96 *

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/22 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ICE is only 120 years old. That’s still new technology in the grand scheme of things. To introduce a new type of power will take another 100 years to perfect. Until then you can not mandate something that is only effective for 20% of the population!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/22 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

The ICE is only 120 years old. That’s still new technology in the grand scheme of things. To introduce a new type of power will take another 100 years to perfect. Until then you can not mandate something that is only effective for 20% of the population!

I am not an advocate for EV's - mainly because they aren't really the green silver bullet the hype would have us to believe.

But I think you have it backwards, I think they are not effective for 20% of the population but a very viable product for the other 80%. Most people don't tow or haul big loads, or even go 100 miles/day.

And last I heard, no one is mandating anything.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> MotorTrend F150 Lightning Tow Test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.