cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for Pullrite Superglide owners

mrad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 3500 Duramax with a 6'6" bed. Last year I purchased a used superglide to tow my toy hauler. The hitch was supposedly only used a couple of times as the previous owner had a seasonal site. One thing I have noticed is there seems to be quite a bit of play between the hitch and the kingpin when hooked up. When I accelerate, I get a loud clunk while feeling the TH slide back a bit. The same thing happens when braking hard. I sometimes get a double clunk when accelerating and turning at an intersection. I am wondering if this is from the hitch head pivoting back and forth. Is this normal, or does it sound like my hitch has more slop in it than normal?
4 REPLIES 4

Like everyone above stated, there IS an adjustment on the head. My ( circa 2006 ) had an adjustment bolt on the front side of the head that had a locking nut on the same side..

It will look something like this -

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without the trailer hooked up rotate the hitch. When it is straight it should get tight to the point it is difficult to move if you are not up in the bed of the truck. If that is not the case there is an adjuster at the front of the hitch. Loosen the nut and adjust when the hitch is in the straight position. Then tighten the nut again.

The clunk when turning is normal. The mechanism that slides the hitch back has to slide over a lobe (for lack of a better word). When it does that you will get the clunk. When sliding the hitch by hand watch the lower part to see how it works. From the rear you will see what looks like an upside down "W". When it goes over the top of the points with weight on it you will get a clunking noise.

Like southernsky said above, go to their website and download the manual for your model hitch. There are important instructions for use and lubrication. Most of the problems I have seen with superglides are directly related to not following the instructions for their hitch.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Re the earlier comments. An adjustment is likely needed on the set screw on the front of the hitch. This should be adjusted so that it takes both hands to manually swivel the hitch when the trailer is not attached.

If you have questions, call the company, they are very helpful.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
There is an adjustment, go on the web and get the manual for your hitch. There are also several lube points on your hitch
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport