cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for quick overnight near Richmond VA

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Travelling to Central PA next month for a few days. While I could do the whole trip in one day from Wilmington NC, it's a long day in the saddle. So looking for a quick overnight near Richmond to break it up. We prefer a CG so not interested in Walmart. I did see a few near Kings Dominion, but being a resort area prices are way more than we want to pay just for an overnight. We'll be travelling I95, cutting to 17 over to 66 in Fredericksburg.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
18 REPLIES 18

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
spoon059 wrote:
I know you've already made a reservation, but for the future I can also recommend Americamps RV Resort in Ashland, VA, just north of Richmond, right off I95, but far enough away that you don't hear the noise.

There is a nice Bass Pro Shops nearby too, if that is your thing. They have a pool and a free waffle breakfast (at least on the weekends when we have stayed there). Nice, clean, easy access, reasonable prices. We've stayed there several times on the drive home from Florida.

Americamps was actually my first pick, but DW mentioned being able to take a mountain bike ride in the morning so we opted for that.

Our final destination is Lake Raystown in PA. We go there annually to meet up with friends and family. Nice mountain biking there too. But it's a long drive for one day, and knowing us, we never depart when we plan. It's always an hour or so later. So this quick overnight just makes it easier.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know you've already made a reservation, but for the future I can also recommend Americamps RV Resort in Ashland, VA, just north of Richmond, right off I95, but far enough away that you don't hear the noise.

There is a nice Bass Pro Shops nearby too, if that is your thing. They have a pool and a free waffle breakfast (at least on the weekends when we have stayed there). Nice, clean, easy access, reasonable prices. We've stayed there several times on the drive home from Florida.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where you're going to Pa but Pocohantas state park has a nice campground with pull through sites and water and electric.Coming up 95 take 288 to the campground. Then you can get back on 95 or take 64 to 81 into Pa.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Wife picked Pocahontas and although just for an overnight they have late checkout which allows me to get a mountain bike ride in before hitting the road. Seems like a nice SP. 50A and water at the site.

Thanks everyone.

You will like Pocahontas. Plenty of Bike trails.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks for the suggestions. Wife picked Pocahontas and although just for an overnight they have late checkout which allows me to get a mountain bike ride in before hitting the road. Seems like a nice SP. 50A and water at the site.

Thanks everyone.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was close, LOL. I have been to way to many to remember them all correctly but try to get close or shut up

fredandkathy
Explorer
Explorer
We stay in Fredericksburg/Washington DC KOA Holiday. It's pretty nice there. ALso it's Candy Hill in Winchester.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
About 20 miles south of Richmond, easily accessible from I-95 is Pocahontas State Park. We have been there before. Very nice wooded setting. Very quiet. We were there early spring and they had a freakish winter snow storm. Closed the park with us in it. Didn't want any more coming in, but we got to stay. Very attentive rangers. Love our stay!

Dale

Good suggestion!Thanks!

Pocahontas is a great place. If you have the time it's a great choice. But if you are looking to just overnight and keep moving Americamps is the way to go.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Winchester Va. I think itโ€™s called Candy Land or something like that. On I-81 bypass. I have stayed there a couple of times.

When we lived in MD we stayed there a few times. Good suggestion but I think maybe an hour longer than we want to go on day 1. Plus I'd have to manage the Fredericksburg,17,66 fiasco around rush hour based on our timing. Thanks though, it's a good suggestion otherwise. Appreciate it.
If they ever get the construction finished on 95, getting on 17 shouldn't be the goat rope that it currently is.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Scottiemom wrote:
About 20 miles south of Richmond, easily accessible from I-95 is Pocahontas State Park. We have been there before. Very nice wooded setting. Very quiet. We were there early spring and they had a freakish winter snow storm. Closed the park with us in it. Didn't want any more coming in, but we got to stay. Very attentive rangers. Love our stay!

Dale

Good suggestion!Thanks!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
The only open to the public CG I stayed at in that area was the KOA just south of Fredericksburg. Prices tend to vary so can't say if it's still affordable.

If you have authorization to use MWR/FamCamps, due to the high number of defense operations in the area, there are many MWR/FamCamps all up and down I95 area.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Winchester Va. I think itโ€™s called Candy Land or something like that. On I-81 bypass. I have stayed there a couple of times.

When we lived in MD we stayed there a few times. Good suggestion but I think maybe an hour longer than we want to go on day 1. Plus I'd have to manage the Fredericksburg,17,66 fiasco around rush hour based on our timing. Thanks though, it's a good suggestion otherwise. Appreciate it.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Birdnst wrote:
Not long after you get on 95 from 295, to your right will be americamps. I believe it is exit 89 and backtrack a little ways.
11332 air park rd. Ashland Va.

This looks like a winner. thanks!