cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help from experienced woodworker

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
I have a little side table that came with my Arctic Fox RV. It had a deep scratch in it and I also wanted to use it as a test case for eventually refinishing the dining room table.

I started sanding with 100, then 150, then 220, and finally 320 with a palm sander. The scratch was gone as well as the original stain and the surface felt very smooth. It actually looked like it was constructed of Oak boards with varying tones. Some light and some reddish.

I read up on the Minwax system and it recommended oil Pre-Stain for soft woods and also was said to help the stain look more uniform. I applied as directed.

Right now I'm at two coats of 235 Cherry (as mentioned on the Northwoods RV forum) to be a close match to the original stain.

I was disappointed in the darkness of the two coats of stain so I did more googling and found that I had made a mistake in sanding the wood so smooth. Apparently the rougher the wood surface the darker the stain will appear.

I'm in a quandary as how to proceed from here. Should I try two or three more coats of the 235 stain and see how it looks? Would a gel stain have more pigment and give me a darker result? Should I "unsand" the surface back to 150 or 220?
14 REPLIES 14

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I just refinished my grandkids' oak table/chairs set. I sanded to 220 and it wouldn't accept the stain very well. So I went back and resanded to 120/150 and it opened up the grain a bit better. You can also open the grain with water right before staining. I used pre-stain on the table but not on the chairs and honestly didn't notice any difference. It's true that it is more effective with softer woods. I agree it's really hard to match a color with oak - especially red oak because the red changes everything. I used a mahogany stain with red oak once and it really took on a dark red hue. You can always mix stains too. But be sure to keep track of your ratios if you do.

Along the lines of CoveredWagon's post above you can also try a stain/varnish combo (I think Minwax sells one). With that, the color is blended in with the finish and doesn't soak into the wood. So, each coat you apply makes it darker.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
What happens in our industry is the wood will not go dark enough for various reasons such as heavy dense woods like oak, sometimes it's the summer growth with harder grain, all will only accept so much stain so adding more stain to achieve the look we may want isn't going to happen. Sometimes it's the summer growth rings ending up showing too light as compared to the spring growth causing radical light and dark spots in the surface.

The solution is to find a top coat finish, most often lacquer, that will mix with a lacguer thinner base stain and slowly mix the two till you achieve a slight tone or tint that is effective in darkening the surface. Sort of like laying tinted glass as a top coat but, with the right color or tone we want. You want to add only a little at a time to the liquid finish and test what it does till you achieve the look your going to want but, don't go too dark right off the bat because with a toned top coat you can always go darker by adding a second or third coat. Each time you coat will tell you if you want to add another to gradually tone it darker.

Lacquer is nice because pro paint shops can help with the tone you want. Also 00 fine steel wool does wonders to a lacquered surface.

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions all.

Is Cleanwood a sanding sealer or just a cleaner like we used to use Prep-Sol when painting cars to get all the wax, grease, and handprints off the metal before painting?

Covered Wagon bear with me here as I want to take advantage of your knowledge, but I don't understand what you mean by "toning" the finish coat. Does that mean I would add some Miniwax 235 to a polyurethane satin top coat?

I'm missing a step here that the original furniture manufacturer did to make the finish more uniform. Is it possible that they used a toned sanding sealer first?

Luthiers use a sanding sealer on guitars, but maybe not for translucent finishes, maybe only paint. I found this warning on the internet:
Do not apply stain to the top of the sanding sealer. To work properly, wood stain needs to soak into the pores of the wood. Sanding sealer negates this process. The stain will sit on the surface and not be absorbed.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
In the cabinet business we 'tone' the surface by mixing just a little bit of the stain into the finish coat as long as they are both oil and compatible. The toning works great because it has a tendency to darken with each coat and even out the color. Add more as needed while testing on a scrape piece of oak. Mix a little each time till you get a desired tone on the test piece.

Oak tends to not take stain as well as a soft wood so toning is a good way to get the desired look you want.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Cleanwood, sorry.
https://www.maxwarehouse.com/products/wood-clnr-clnwde-qt
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Oak is an open grain hardwood. The first coat of an oil stain will pretty much determine the color. Additional coats will add some depth but not change the color much. A different colored stain may be required. Stains should always be tested in an obscured area. In my experience, trying to match a piece by staining is difficult.

When the manufacturer finished the wood, they sealed it. Surface sanding may give the appearance of bare wood, but it still might be sealed and not accept stain as readily. You might try treating it with a liquid paint remover. Then sand, and try again as mentioned in your other forum.

Ill agree, I always use clearwood before staining. I think it helps to open up the wood grain to accept stain or paint.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
If you think you have hand rubbed finishes your on the wrong track. I plan to refinish our present kitchen table. Not concerned with the wood they say the finish is cherry, that's what it will be replaced with.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Oak is an open grain hardwood. The first coat of an oil stain will pretty much determine the color. Additional coats will add some depth but not change the color much. A different colored stain may be required. Stains should always be tested in an obscured area. In my experience, trying to match a piece by staining is difficult.

When the manufacturer finished the wood, they sealed it. Surface sanding may give the appearance of bare wood, but it still might be sealed and not accept stain as readily. You might try treating it with a liquid paint remover. Then sand, and try again as mentioned in your other forum.

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Be sure to use an oil based finish, I really like Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Satin. It will give you a more rich color. Water based looks like you PIZZED on it.

Hit it with 120 then 220 and re try the stain.

Thanks. I did use an oil based Minwax.

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
"I read up on the Minwax system and it recommended oil Pre-Stain for soft woods and also was said to help the stain look more uniform."

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You state you think the wood is OAK (a hard wood) so why did you use a stain for Soft Wood?
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
^^Agree……..
Also, the longer you wait before removing the excess oil, the darker it will be. I usually wait no longer than about 15 minutes before rubbing it off. I like to sneak up on the tone. Might take an extra coat, but better chance to get it close.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure to use an oil based finish, I really like Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Satin. It will give you a more rich color. Water based looks like you PIZZED on it.

Hit it with 120 then 220 and re try the stain.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Resanding 120 and 150 should help.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD