Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toilet

hogbob
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
MY toilet will not hold water, First it was a slow leak but now it drains fast. Thanks for any help. Kenny
11 REPLIES 11

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pull the seal and clean it. Apply Vaseline to the surface that rides on the ball.

Don't want to hear about how Vaseline is bad. 7 years full-time no issue.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, the silicone spray only lasted a day, so today I decided to take it apart again and realized that the rear facing end of the ball (the ball closes front to back) has a larger gap than the front end and relocated the seal slightly to give it a little better coverage on that end to seal more completely instead of the chance of a small gap. See if that works.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You should definitely check the grove! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Thetford Style II,with the ball type gate. It's been leaking through for the last couple of years, so I finally changed the seal after watching a couple of YouTube videos on how to do it. Very simple. One guy coated it with plumber's grease, so I did that too. It was good for about 2 weeks, then started to leak through again. WTF!! It seems that the real reason is that the ball isn't quite rotating fully closed,so yesterday I sprayed silicone on everything I could see where it pivots and moves and it seems to come to a more solid stop upon release of the pedal now. We'll see how long it lasts. This wastes too much water when dry camping. I'm getting ready to switch to a Dometic!
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

hogbob
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I have the ball type can I change the seal from the top ? Thanks Kenny

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The seal is easy to replace but try plumbers' grease first.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it has the black rubber gasket at the opening just replace it! It takes less than 5 mins. you can get it on Amazon cheap!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As mentioned, we need to know the style of valve.

One other thing not mentioned is to look for mineral deposits on the valve. Both styles rely on a smooth plastic against the rubber seal. If you get mineral built up, that can cause it not to seal.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two styles of toilet. One has a "Ball" shaped Dump valve and the other a Gate valve.
The Ball Valve types come with a tool to clean the seal.. I've never actually used it but did clean by other means..

The other (Flat gate valve) ( I do not recall a tool. but again cleaning may help.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I have found that the grove that seats the piece that opens and closes will get filled with TP. I have taken a cloths hanger wire and cleaned out the grove. Along with lubing the seal check out the grove.

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the seal and lube it with plumbers silicone grease. (nothing petroleum based!) If that doesn't work a new seal is usually not hard to install depending on what toilet you have.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand