Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help with identifying delamination / water damage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Help with identifying delamination / water damage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/22 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernMarshPanda wrote:

- Would genuinely love to hear more about why buying an old Cruise Canada / Cruise America vehicle is a bad idea. My partner and I were conflicted as to whether or not this was a positive or negative thing. Con: Has had more usage than a privately owned RV; Pro: Perhaps has been better maintained by a commercial entity? (e.g. like buying a used car from a rental is often a good deal)

The problem with "rentals" is there is a lot of "drive it like it was stolen" attitude buy the renters. The words "gently used" typically are not applicable to anything rented.

Just because it was owned and maintained by a "commercial entity" also does not mean that the commercial entity has done better maintenance and repairs to it either.. The commercial entity is buying and renting in order to make a profit, therefore much of the maintenance will be for keeping it in some form of road worthy operation up to the point of the repairs exceeding profits and value of the vehicle and it will be done as cheap as possible (scavenging used parts comes to mind).

I personally would never consider buying a commercial rental car or RV as a "good deal", your getting highly worn out vehicle that most likely not only will require considerable outward appearing work but a lot of other mechanical parts like front end steering, suspension, brakes and even perhaps electrical and engine/transmission repairs. There could be even a lot of hidden repairs and fixes that will never get reported to carfax or other reporting places since much of the work is almost always done in house.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/22 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is never a good idea to buy a commercial rented RV Trailer or Motorhome. Especially if you do not have the skills to do your own repairs. It will have 10 times the use of a normal private owned RV. Also, a LOT of RV renters have never rented an RV before so, they will inadvertantly cause damage on various systems. You don't state price but regular NON rental models like yours(year and brand) are selling between 22k and 30k. Comparing Car rentals with RV rentals is truly apples and oranges. EVERBODY that rents a Car, knows how to drive and use most of the basic systems. So breaking things is very rare. AS I explained above RV rentals, very few really know how to use them correctly. So, they get abused a lot more. Your pics of the motorhome show a Motorhome that has been rode hard. The seller is probably firm because like you he thought he got a good deal and wants out of it without losing money, which he will do, unless he finds a sucker to buy for his price. Is there a reason you do NOT want to list his asking price? What is the Mileage? Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/22 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He is asking C37,000 which is about $29000 US. 160,000 miles, NOT kilometers. This is truly a pig in a poke. The fact that he wants $500 NONREFUNDABLE PAYPAL within 24 hours of sale would mean he does not want a independent chassis and RV inspection? This RV is truly a BAD buy. Doug

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/22 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shum02 wrote:

NorthernMarshPanda wrote:

PS: Also figured out that this must have been an old Cruise Canada vehicle, based on the footprint left from the old decals. No idea if that's good or bad, but interesting to know!

Just another reason to leave it be.

Assuming everything else looked good, being a former rental unit wouldn't concern me.

Honestly some of the cheap bling they add to private sale units...probably more of a concern.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NorthernMarshPanda

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/22 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer & Gdetrailer - you both make great points, thank you! Especially appreciate the point that people people renting RVs don't necessarily know how to operate an RV (compared to people renting cars who generally know how to operate a car already). Hadn't considered that.

dougrainer, impressed with your Google skills! I had no idea what you were talking about with the PayPal deposit, so did my own search. I see the seller also has it listed on eBay where he's asking for a deposit. That would have given me pause as well. However, I found it via Kijiji (like Craigslist), where there was no mention of a deposit. The seller was super cooperative, let us see it twice, test drive it, and have a basic safety inspection done. He would certainly consent to a more thorough inspection if we asked. I genuinely believe that the seller only learned about the delamination at the same time as us, so it's a sad story for everyone involved. Regardless, you're right that it's not a good purchase, at least not for us.

This is a wonderfully helpful community - thanks everyone for being so generous with your time & knowledge!

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/22 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

He is asking C37,000 which is about $29000 US. 160,000 miles, NOT kilometers. This is truly a pig in a poke. The fact that he wants $500 NONREFUNDABLE PAYPAL within 24 hours of sale would mean he does not want a independent chassis and RV inspection? This RV is truly a BAD buy. Doug

160K miles?

Yeah, your most likely looking at a complete front end rebuild right off the bat (tie rods inside and outside both sides, upper and lower ball joints both sides), all bushings and shocks front and back and that is just to get it into a somewhat safe driveable condition.. If you had to pay for that out of your pocket your looking at easily $1,000 in parts and another $1,000 in labor and haven't even touched the wheel bearings, brakes, rotors nor things like alternator, belt, A/C compressor, power steering and on and on..

I have put considerable amounts of miles on vehicles many times over once I get them up to 140K miles it really does start "nickle and diming" you to death.. The problem however once you get past small automobiles and cross into large truck and vans the costs are not nickles and dimes, it is hundreds of Dollars at a clip for parts..

A a brake rotor for a small car may cost $50 or less, but for a 1 ton or 1 1/2 ton truck or van you now have entered $150 and up..

The highest mileage modern vehicle I have owned I sold when it had 240K miles on it, the front end was rebuilt, rebushed twice and new shocks twice by the time I sold it. Engine and transmission ran fine when sold but replacing worn out body parts become a huge cost in trying to keep it on the road.

That is why a high mileage rental is a very poor choice to try to save money.. The money you may have saved, will wind up costing many times more in replacing the worn out parts..

The rental company sold it off because it most likely became to costly to keep repairing vs buying a new unit.

It is cute looking, but not cute enough for the price and mileage.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/22 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

37k is a ridiculously high price. SCRAM and SCAM

It is on the small side for full timing.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NorthernMarshPanda

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/22 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer - thanks for giving me some more context here! I've only just started learning the complications of owning a large truck as opposed to a small vehicle. Finding someone that could even do the basic safety inspection here took 10x as much calling around and cost more than double what it costs for a regular automobile. We definitely aren't buying this one, but I don't think we're going to find anything in our price range with low mileage. Seems the majority of our options at the moment are RV's from the 80s...

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/22 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to be contrary (well maybe a little)...

160k miles on a 12yr old vehicle would be preferable to say 20-30k miles.
- 160k miles means it's being used regularly and as things break and wear out, they tend to get repaired.
- 20-30k miles means it's likely sitting in a field somewhere for months at a time with rubber parts rotting out, seals drying out, fuel gumming up, etc... Lots of bad things about leaving a vehicle sit for long periods. Expect repairs if you pull it out after sitting for months. This can also apply to appliances (air/con, fridge, furnace, etc...) to varying degrees.

Currently using the 2008 F250 to haul from Michigan to Montana before heading to Alaska in the spring. Just crossed 230k miles after buying at 170k 3yrs back. Did tires, belts and brakes...all regular maintenance stuff...no other major repairs.

If you are looking at small Class C units, you might swing by the shop rather than calling. Even if you tell them the model and size, I'm betting a lot of shops think it's much bigger and they may not have a bay suitable for a 35-40ft MH. What you have is essentially a van (van chassis really) and most shops have no issue working on a van.

Yes, the equivalent repair on a truck will cost more than a sub-compact. That happens new or used.

On additional thought: Since you are new to RVs and you had to ask if this was a good deal...call up an independent mobile RV tech and see if they will to an inspection for a couple hundred bucks and walk you thru the issues. Then when you find what you think is a good deal, make an offer contingent upon an independent inspection. It's not a guarantee they will catch everything but they can screen out a lot of issues having seen many of them. They can also give you an idea of if an issue is repairable and what the cost will be. Make sure to plug it into power and operate every system as part of the inspection.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/22 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motor homes are an expensive proposition to start RVing in. They cost more to build than trailers and the used prices reflect that higher initial cost in the used market.

Higher prices doesn't mean motor homes are better built or better quality, just means the cost of platform or frame of the camper portion which is a heavy duty truck or van frame makes the entire rig much more expensive.

Trailers on the other hand can be had for lower cost due to the fact the frame under the trailer costs very little to make.

Motor homes do offer some conveniences like when you stop, you don't have to get out of a vehicle to get into the camper and the camper portion is precooled or preheated when you arrive at your destination.

Motor home do have some downsides, unless you tow a small car behind you, you have to break camp every time you want to get groceries or sight see, leveling can be a chore unless you find one that has built in leveling jacks.

If you have a vehicle with enough towing capacity you could consider looking at a small travel trailer. A bit less convenient than a motor home but also a much less costly way to start RV'n..

The size of Motor home you was looking at, even a slide in camper (AKA Truck Camper or TC) might work for you. Used trucks and TCs should get you in a price and mileage range that might make more sense.

Otherwise, yes, 1980s-1990s motor homes might get you in the price range. Personal motor homes unlike rentals typically will be very low mileage and old ones often are much less expensive.

The downside however, the sitting around may also be a problem with hoses, belts rotting out, pitted and severely rusted out brake rotors and rusted stuck brake calipers, rotted fuel and brake lines and corroded wiring connections.. Along with typical camper water intrusion issues which were not fixed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Help with identifying delamination / water damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.