cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting PC into a server

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
First of all, I’m not very tech savvy but I am comfortable using a variety of computer software. I consider myself a user not a technical expert. I would like to set up my existing Windows 10 based PC to act as a server and also to continue to use it as my primary PC. Is this possible? Or will I need to use a different (old PC) to be the server. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
6 REPLIES 6

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have no idea on that, but a quick google search shows that it can run on a Windows 7 PC and above...

That's as far as I looked... 🙂

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
TenOC wrote:
bgum wrote:
Yes but you haven't explained what purpose the server will perform.

I want to use BlueStacks 5 on a Windows PC to "act like an Android" and then installed AudioBookShelf (a android app) which is a Self-hosted audiobook and podcast server. When installed on BlueSacks the app ask for a SERVER IP address. My PC IP address will not work.

That is a whole nuther can-o-worms.

Sounds like you need to configure (give a IP to) the "podcast server" contained in the Audio Book Shelf app..

Might need to reach out to the Audio Book Shelf community to find out how to configure it..

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:

I want to use BlueStacks 5 on a Windows PC to "act like an Android" and then installed AudioBookShelf (a android app) which is a Self-hosted audiobook and podcast server. When installed on BlueSacks the app ask for a SERVER IP address. My PC IP address will not work.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Win10 desktop like older versions of non server OS's does support "file sharing" connections.

Currently Win10 Pro can allow up to 20 "concurrent" file sharing connections with the caveat that once you hit 5 or 6 concurrent connections the shared location may not show up in file explorer until you drop below that threshold.

SEE HERE

Note, file sharing is not 100% the same as a "file server".

Windows desktop (Like Win10) does not have a lot of advanced features found in a file server OS like Domain controller, Active Directory, DHCP (doles out IP addresses dynamically for your server domain) along with advanced domain security and Administrator tools.

Windows server OSs do have a desktop UI (User Interface) which means you could potentially use Windows server OS as a desktop to a certain point. But, to use Windows Server as a desktop OS you will find that it is less optimized and far more expensive to purchase for that purpose.

If you are not concerned about high security, you can enable file and printer sharing on any desktop PC with Win10 Pro and create local network of shared file resources for a small quantity of PCs to connect to with Win10 pro..

Win10 Home may have considerable limitations above what Win10 pro offers so your mileage may vary..

If you want the full file server experience with user logins and higher security for your local network then Windows File server on a dedicated PC may be the way you need to go. Windows server can be installed on pretty much any PC hardware provided you have all of the proper drivers for your hardware, does not need to be installed on "server" hardware for causal light duty use.. Heck, I have installed Windows server into a VMs on a Win10 Pro PC and it works fine on VMs..

On edit..

If you were to decide to setup dedicated Win server local network, check your local Craigs list for used off lease Dell or HP servers.. I see a lot of 12 - 16 processor core servers being offered on my local CL for $100-$200 each without HDs.. Many of those servers can run SATA drives which are cheap and plentiful, for faster and more robust HDs SAS drives are better but much more expensive..

A non server substitute if you just want simple file sharing is a NAS unit (Network Attached Storage) which is a Linux based network file sharing unit..

bgum
Explorer
Explorer

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what you want the "server" to do?

A Windows 10 Pro version is what you need just to be able to connect to it I would think.

It can be a "file server" for you where you just store files on it and access it from another computer, or you can remote desktop to one. There would have to be some firewall changes I think however?

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.