Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Tow Capacity Question

BURevisfan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

Looking into getting a travel trailer but not completely understanding the weight ratings and how they compare to the tow vehicle's capacity.

I've got a 2015 Silverado 1500 double cab 4x4 with the V6... everything I read seems to point to 7200 lbs tow capacity.

So where I get confused is when it comes to looking at the travel trailer ratings. I'm trying to find the balance between looking at the UVW and the GVWR of the trailer.

I've had dealerships say that for the type of camping we plan on doing (established sites/resorts with water/sewer available) that by the time I take cargo weight off I should be looking around 6000 - 6200 lbs.

Where the variances come in is when I look at one trailer that has (for example only) a UVW are around 6000 lbs and a GVWR around 7100 lbs. But then another trailer will have a UVW around 5500 lbs and a GVWR at 7500.

I'm just not sure if I should be strictly going by the GVWR of the trailer, or if it's feasible to use the UVW even if the GVWR is over 7200 with the knowledge that I would still be limited in cargo to the difference between the UVW and 7200 lbs.

thanks in advance
32 REPLIES 32

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected. He did include passengers in the 6100 weight. I've been on this forum for many years. My observation is that, more often than not, when someone asks: can I tow this with this, the answer is no. The fact that they are asking suggests they have doubts. Far better to ask than end up with a combination that is unpleasant at best and unsafe at worst. But, there is a reason they're asking which is that they usually suspect that they are very close, if not over, limits.If you have to tow with an empty FW tank to make it work, it is not going to fun long term.

jrhanbar98
Explorer
Explorer
I continue to be amazed by the fact that a simple question like this is not a sticky. It’s a straight forward process, get your payload number and tow ratings. Look at GVWR of the trailer and factor a tounge weight range of 12-15% and that should get you in the ball park. It is also notable that NOT everyone brings along a 1/2 cord of firewood, 4 kids and 40 gallons of freshwater. Everyone’s RV experience is different, give them the facts and let them choose.

I will, say this towing an RV is a lot like driving on winter roads, if you don’t like that, go light or don’t tow. Just my 2 cents??

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
The real fun will be when you have to figure out how to adjust the weight distribution hitch.

BURevisfan
Explorer
Explorer
canoe on top wrote:
5500 lbs UVW means around 6500 loaded, ready to go camping. 10% hitch weight is 650 lbs. That leaves you 350 lbs for passengers and cargo. 15% hitch weight is 975 lbs. That leaves you 25 lbs. for passengers and gear in the truck. How does that sound to you?

Just want to ask to clarify. At 650 lbs hitch weight you show 350 for passengers and cargo. Passengers were already included in the 6100 lbs number from the CAT scale. So I assume that means 350 for just cargo?

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
5500 lbs UVW means around 6500 loaded, ready to go camping. 10% hitch weight is 650 lbs. That leaves you 350 lbs for passengers and cargo. 15% hitch weight is 975 lbs. That leaves you 25 lbs. for passengers and gear in the truck. How does that sound to you?

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
BURevisfan wrote:
. is Tongue/Hitch Weight typical a fixed number or do it vary depending on how the trailer is loaded? I'm curious what it's based off of.

Tongue weight will vary depending on the cargo loading, amount and location, of the trailer. Factory tongue weight is without propane filled and no battery with a few exceptions.
Yes, you have 1000# left of truck cargo capacity for tongue weight, hitch weight, and additional cargo.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You live in Iowa. Lots of trailers around. I’d suggest finding someone with a similar size trailer and let you take it for a spin.
Here’s the deal, since you’re not convinced yet. It’s less about the overall weight. And more about tongue weight and wind resistance (and the power to overcome that).
You want the answer you want to hear, so why not listen to me and just go haul the …… out of whatever trailer you want?
There are people who are afraid of their shadow then there are people like GdE who seem like they’re very experienced and practical until you hear him preach the numbers game and his view on trailers. Than there are people totally unsafe and the rest of us are somewhere in between. I can’t explain how your truck will work for you since you have no experience and may or may not have the skills to tow a trailer.
But you’re not going to get any by asking the same question 5 different ways on here.
Your truck will handle a med size TT like any other half ton. It will Have less power. End of story.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BURevisfan
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I did some more reading, talking, pondering... I have... sticker numbers! I found two stickers on my drivers door frame.

First was labeled "Tire and Loading Information"... it states "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 800 kg or 1763 lbs"

Second stick was the detailed vehicle weights... shows a GVWR of 7100 lb, GAWR FRT of 3950 lb, and GAWR RR of 3950 lb.

(I will add that I took the truck down to the local CAT scale with a full tank of gas and normal number of riders and we came in at 6100 lbs... so I assume that leaves 1000 lbs for hitch weight and truck loaded cargo)

That all being said, happened to stop by a talk with a dealer down the road from my house. And realize I'm taking all of this with a grain of salt because well... they're salesmen.

But based on what they looked up (which matched my research as well) and then working backwards for loading. They suggested looking at trailers that land around the 5500 lb UVW range and then seeing how their GVWR and hitch weight fall out in respect to limits.

That all being said... does this sound accurate?

EDIT: Additional question... is Tongue/Hitch Weight typical a fixed number or do it vary depending on how the trailer is loaded? I'm curious what it's based off of.

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Had a 20ft TT which was 4,400 empty, loaded was 5,400 lbs with GVWR of 7,200 lbs.. Towed that with a "heavy half".. Was all the weight that truck could handle..

Can you elaborate on this? What is it that happened that it was all that truck could handle?
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gdetrailer wrote:

Had a 20ft TT which was 4,400 empty, loaded was 5,400 lbs with GVWR of 7,200 lbs.. Towed that with a "heavy half".. Was all the weight that truck could handle..

My hat is off to those folks towing 7K or better with a half ton, you have more guts than I have.

Better truck, bigger cajones or more skill is all that is needed! LOL

To be fair, I'm sure some TTs can be kinda squirrely due to their weight distribution, rear load overhang from axles and possibly maxxed out tires and suspension.

But if I never towed more than 3 tons with a 1/2 ton truck, I'd be unemployed, broke or still trying to complete work from 5 years ago!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BURevisfan wrote:
Thank you all for the knowledge... I've got to re-read it all to come up with consensus but it kind of confirms what I feared... and that's they my current truck may not have the capacity to pull the size of travel trailer we'd prefer to go with.

thanks again!

My current TT empty weight is 5,500 lbs, loaded for camping 6,500 lbs, max GVWR is 7,500 lbs.. I am towing it with a 3/4 ton truck.

I would not consider using it with any 1/2 ton but it is perfect for 3/4 ton..

My hat is off to those folks towing 7K or better with a half ton, you have more guts than I have.

Get that cargo number off the drivers side, the sticker that is yellow colored. That number is what you will need to determine the max weight you can tow..

A trailer that starts at 6K lbs empty is going to be well above 7K lbs when loaded..

BURevisfan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the knowledge... I've got to re-read it all to come up with consensus but it kind of confirms what I feared... and that's they my current truck may not have the capacity to pull the size of travel trailer we'd prefer to go with.

thanks again!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
nickthehunter wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
First off, are you sure the towing capacity of your 2015 PU is 7200? Seems high with a V6
This type of thing is pretty easy to verify. In the time it took you to pose the question, you could have had the answer directly from the manufacturer. Page 50 Clicky

Once again, READ the FINE PRINT at the bottom of the page.

Here is the top of the page..

Click For Full-Size Image.

Note that there is a tiny 1 and 2 after the max payload and max tow ratings at the top of the page..

Those little tiny numbers refer you to the extremely small fine print at the bottom of the page..

Click For Full-Size Image.

Note number 1 specifically states..

"These maximum payload ratings are intended for comparison purposes only. Before you buy a vehicle or use it to haul people or cargo, carefully review the vehicle loading section of the Owner’s Manual and check the carrying capacity
of your specific vehicle on the label on the inside of the driver’s door jamb.
"

Note number 2 specifically atates..

"Before you buy a vehicle or use it for trailering, carefully review the trailering section of the Owner’s Manual. The weight of passengers, cargo and options or
accessories may reduce the amount you can tow.
"

The numbers listed on that brochure does not reflect the max actual cargo and tow ratings of the specific configuration of your vehicle.

Because of all of the various possible option configurations you need to verify available cargo using the door stickers..

Once you have that actual cargo number it is very easy to determine the max trailer weight you can tow with your vehicles factory configuration.

If you have 1,000 lbs of available cargo then at 15% TW that gives you a max of 6,666 lbs GVWR of the trailer.. (1,000/.15=6,666).

But keep in mind, unless you drive "solo" and don't put anything in the vehicle you will need to subtract passengers and gear weight you put into the vehicle from the available vehicle cargo and the leftover result is what available cargo weight you have left for the trailer..

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
nickthehunter wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
First off, are you sure the towing capacity of your 2015 PU is 7200? Seems high with a V6
This type of thing is pretty easy to verify (unless of course if the intent of your post was to imply the guy doesn't know what he's talking about). In the time it took you to pose the question, you could have had the answer directly from the manufacturer. Page 50 Clicky