cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Blowing Fuse

drew19mbs
Explorer
Explorer
Recently had a problem with my electric Solera awning. We had noticed that it was coming off the front of our Starcraft Launch Extreme 19mbs. I tightened all of the loose screws and decided t put in a few extra since the awning wiring going into the camper outside shell appeared to be going down so I thought that I was safe. I was apparently wrong since now when we try to use the awning, it blows the fuse. I have troubleshot the awning motor wiring using a circuit probe test and the awning will move. The problem is when I connect all of the leads to the switch that it blows the fuse when I try to use it. So two questions, does anyone know how Starcraft runs their awning wiring? I did receive wiring schematics from Starcraft, but nothing really on the awning. 2. Can I just run another hot to the awning and is the TV amp, CO dector, and awning ganged at the back of the converter to remove the awning power so I can run power?
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Remember, you should have a 4 or 5 wire switch. That switch REVERSES the 12 volt polarity to make the motor turn one way(extend) and Reverses when you retract. So, you can have a short on 2 wires and not just 1. When the switch reverses the Neg wire is now positive and when reverses the other way the OTHER negative wire now becomes positive. So it appears you have drilled holes into the 2 wires coming from the switch to the motor. You may just have to go inside and cut an access hole in the interior wall behind where you drilled and installed the new screws. Just make the access hole smaller than a 4 by 4 blank wall plate. Doug

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:
maybe you put a screw in a wire? or the wire rubbed bare. unhook the wiring then hot wire it see if things work right. its a start.

This.

Worked fine until you added a few screws.

Sounds like you may have to open up where you added the screws and see if one of the wires is compromised and either add shielding or splice in a new wire. The other alternative is disconnect the existing wires and run all new, although I think that would be more difficult than fixing the pierced one.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe disconnect the wires from power and check each leg for continuity with the screws you added using an ohm meter. This can help eliminate that as a possible cause, or possible make it easier to fix.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
maybe you put a screw in a wire? or the wire rubbed bare. unhook the wiring then hot wire it see if things work right. its a start.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have space, just put the awning on a new circuit. Hopefully the co detector and Tv amp will still work when you disconnect the original awning wire (that is if they are currently working before the fuse blows). If not, you should get out a test light, connect a lead to ground, and see if you can find a โ€œhotโ€ screw. Last resort you may be in for a big wiring job.