cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any issues having slides on both sides?

audiocam
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at buying a new or slightly used TT. Is there any issues with RV's slides on both sides?

My wife thinks they may limit us because some parks may have restrictions on slides on both sides.

Do multiple slide owners have any insights?

Cheers, Scott
40 REPLIES 40

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at either state or federal campgrounds where there are lots of trees. We only have one slide and we still have to sometimes be careful when we back into a site to make sure the slide doesn't hit a tree or the utility hookups. I can't imagine getting into some of the sites we were in with slides on both sides. And as a few others have said,I would not want a slide on curb side because we too like to sit outside a lot. I guess if you stay in commercial campgrounds with few trees slides on both sides won't be an issue. But the campgrounds where we stay would be a problem.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I once stayed in a park where there wasn't room to put my awning out, but never not enough room for all slides. (on edit: there was one site we were assigned where the next door neighbour had his trailer on the line and his street slide extended over our pad - we couldn't get onto that site even with the slides in. Office gave us a different site)

OTOH, when we overnight in a parking lot somewhere, there isn't enough room to put out our street side slides. Our galley slide (curbside) doesn't go out any further than our front steps - we need steps to get in and out.

5er toy hauler

Often there isn't enough room to put our ramp down - we need to unload motorcycles before we park.

Explorer II
Explorer II
WinMinnie02 wrote:
.... Make sure you have strong batteries and don't go cheap to operate the slides.
When operating my opposing slides when not connected to shore power I have my truck running and connected to the 7 way plug. My truck provides 14.2V to the battery when the battery is full. Am I fooling myself thinking this helps? I use a single Walmart 27DC in good shape.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Newbie hit and run post. Great conversations but value lost to the OP. I know some newbies get scared off with the gruffness of some posters here, but that's not the case on this thread. I always find it odd why some newbies take the time to crate an account and post but never return.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Slides add weight to the unit. 2 slides on current unit Class C Winnebago still going strong 20+ years. Make sure you have strong batteries and don't go cheap to operate the slides.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
audiocam wrote:
We're looking at buying a new or slightly used TT. Is there any issues with RV's slides on both sides?

My wife thinks they may limit us because some parks may have restrictions on slides on both sides.

Do multiple slide owners have any insights?

Cheers, Scott

Answering the OPs question, SPECIFICALLY in re: "some parks may have restrictions on slides on both sides".

Never found that - or even heard of it. Never stayed in a park w/o sufficient room for slides on both sides of the RV.......also many DPs have 4 slides (or 5) - with slides on both sides........
Sorry, we can't accommodate you - or want your $$. Not !

If the TT is in good shape at a good price, and meets your reqs - don't sweat the small stuff, cheer up and for it.

:W

dedmiston
willald wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
...Just like anything else, IF you wanna find an issue with something, you probably will.... If you wanna adapt to something, you probably will . .

...And that right there sums up probably 90% of the discussions/debates that come up on here. ๐Ÿ™‚

No it doesn't.

Yes it does.

No it doesn't.

Yes it does.

Yep.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have parked on ONE site that was not wide enough but it was still not a problem

The rig beside me also extended "over the line" with his slides out so to walk between (IE to access hookups) you walked a "Z" pattern That's in 15 years

Had a few where I had to pull forward/back a bit

The advantage.

You level. then extend slides on ONE side. the rig may "Tilt" that way
Slides out on both sides. Tends to be easier to keep level
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
wnjj wrote:
4x4van wrote:
As others have said, it's generally not a problem with slides on both sides; very few sites (if any) are that narrow to cause an issue. However, keep in mind that a passenger-side slide intrudes into your camping area.

Couldn't a driver's side slide be worse if you had to move the whole trailer over to miss the utility pedestal?

Had to do that once... you learn pretty quick how much room you need haha
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
ford truck guy wrote:
It does NOT cut off the back 3rd... That is just not under the awning.. we set up camp and have never not been able to use that " ground" near the rear slides...

Just like anything else, IF you wanna find an issue with something, you probably will.... If you wanna adapt to something, you probably will . .

read the whole post. I said it may or may not affect you depending on how you camp.

if you in parking lots then alls good, but the biggest thing I said that you ignored is your at the mercy of the shape of the site. most of the forest sites I get into with my 40 foot 5th wheel have weird shapes and slides on the pansenger side would reduce the area you have to sit around a fire or not in over 70% of the sites.

If i camped like you in that picture there wouldnt be an issue...
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
As others have said, it's generally not a problem with slides on both sides; very few sites (if any) are that narrow to cause an issue. However, keep in mind that a passenger-side slide intrudes into your camping area.

Couldn't a driver's side slide be worse if you had to move the whole trailer over to miss the utility pedestal?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy wrote:
our 5 slides RV has never had an issue getting into the sites that we booked .... I LOVE the extra room inside, and the slides on the curb side really do not get in the way as I place my mat in front of the 1st one since that is where my awning is....

BUT, we do NOT boondock, or stay at Walmart

If you are in a 40+ ft rig, it's not going to be an issue because your length would prohibit you from getting into sites that might have width limitations.

Drop down below 30ft and go state/national/older wooded parks and it is occasionally an issue. Not often but it does happen.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
...Just like anything else, IF you wanna find an issue with something, you probably will.... If you wanna adapt to something, you probably will . .

...And that right there sums up probably 90% of the discussions/debates that come up on here. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

It does NOT cut off the back 3rd... That is just not under the awning.. we set up camp and have never not been able to use that " ground" near the rear slides...

Just like anything else, IF you wanna find an issue with something, you probably will.... If you wanna adapt to something, you probably will . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet