cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas Class A

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped in a Rambler Station Wagon, upgraded to a Dodge van, and Truck Campered or Travel Trailered all over the Pacific Northwest. My lovely bride is not happy with the seats in my 2007.5 6.7 Dodge diesel pickup Tow Vehicle. She actually said, out loud, maybe we should look at a Motor Home. Major shift for us, but I am thinking we should be pretty happy with a gas CLass A. We are tied to our home town until our mom passes, she is 91 and going strong, so no full time diesel pusher. Before we bought our current Toy Hauler TT, I was looking hard at the Winnebago MH. Just looking for opinions, thoughts, and ideas.
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited
25 REPLIES 25

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Just for grins, I looked at a brand new Jayco gas coach. One sweet rig, was a bunk model, which I liked. Lots of headroom, good visibility, cameras all around. They were listed at MSRP 180,000, and street price of 150,000. Hope the prices start coming down soon.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Being somewhat frugal, I cringe when I read threads about $40,000 engine replacements, $7,000 radiators replacements, $1,000 tires and all the fun things that it takes to keep a Diesel coach going down the road. Besides I don't like the smell of diesel.
I passed on a gorgeous BlueBird WanderLodge with low mileage, new tires, Detroit 60 and new batteries. It was a head turner but when something failed my head would spin.
So here I sit in a 27 year old coach with a $6,000 stroker engine, $350.00 tires and the original radiator. The low cost to operate a gasser allows for fun things like a nice solar array, and all the little touches I've applied over the years.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:
Good info all. I was Class B licensed before they came up with all the new rules, so should have no problem with a CDL, if that comes up. (Although I don't expect it to)

The following info is much appreciated, and sort of the way we are going.

I never want a Class C. Before purchasing our current Class A, we looked at used Class Cs and were incredibly disappointed. For example, for similar pricing we found a Class A with greater carrying capacity, more storage, better floorplan, and 50A electrical (2 ACs) -- and levelers (many Class Cs don't have them and they are expensive to add).
I never want another DP (unless I come into a lot of money). Our 2001 Newmar was generally a joy to drive and ride in while our first RV (2004 Sea Breeze) was difficult to drive, loud, and uncomfortable. However, our DP was VERY expensive to repair. Since it was about 20 years old, expensive things (e.g., radiator) needed replacement. Yearly "tune ups" were also pricey.
3rd time's the charm. So far. Our 3rd RV is a 21-year-old, 31-foot, Ford V10, one owner gasser. One owner who didn't drive it much and appears to have kept it in storage when not driving. We lucked out. It's EASY to drive. The V10 has plenty of power. It's comfortable, not an air bag ride, but comfortable. Finally, despite the up front engine, it's not loud. Go figure.

Conclusion: If you can, test drive because YRMV.

Tx. Final thought โ€” if youโ€™re getting a Class A gasser, go short. Iโ€™d never get a gasser longer than 34 feet (32 feet = perfection). A DP works the other way โ€” longer is generally better. Iโ€™d never buy a DP shorter than 34 feet. Well, unless itโ€™s a Country Coach, then 32 feet is hunky dory.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Good info all. I was Class B licensed before they came up with all the new rules, so should have no problem with a CDL, if that comes up. (Although I don't expect it to)

The following info is much appreciated, and sort of the way we are going.

I never want a Class C. Before purchasing our current Class A, we looked at used Class Cs and were incredibly disappointed. For example, for similar pricing we found a Class A with greater carrying capacity, more storage, better floorplan, and 50A electrical (2 ACs) -- and levelers (many Class Cs don't have them and they are expensive to add).
I never want another DP (unless I come into a lot of money). Our 2001 Newmar was generally a joy to drive and ride in while our first RV (2004 Sea Breeze) was difficult to drive, loud, and uncomfortable. However, our DP was VERY expensive to repair. Since it was about 20 years old, expensive things (e.g., radiator) needed replacement. Yearly "tune ups" were also pricey.
3rd time's the charm. So far. Our 3rd RV is a 21-year-old, 31-foot, Ford V10, one owner gasser. One owner who didn't drive it much and appears to have kept it in storage when not driving. We lucked out. It's EASY to drive. The V10 has plenty of power. It's comfortable, not an air bag ride, but comfortable. Finally, despite the up front engine, it's not loud. Go figure.

Conclusion: If you can, test drive because YRMV.
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had 3 diesel coaches and this is our first gasser. The gasser is great and is the only handicap equipped coach I could find without have a custom built and at my age, that is not feasible.
All that said I was not afraid to get on the interstate and run either cumming or cat hard all day. I would not feel comfortable doing that with the gasser (ford) even though I have been told the engine would take it.
I guess it is whatever suits your needs and wants, but had I found a DP handicap equipped we would have that today.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Shop smart. Our gas class A is a 2012 with every upgrade down to the suspension. It rides very nice and is very easy to drive. It has a 4100CCC. And with a tune on the V-10 from 5star does great in the mountains.
1 $50 oil change a year and thatโ€™s all I do other than the generator oil.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Unless it has changed in the last few years, I did not have to do anything with my air brakes and there was nothing about air brakes on the test when I qualified for by TX class B license driving a Prevost. It has likely been over 10 years since I got the license so it's possible things have changed.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
It may exist in some States but not FL, TX or SD (full timers States). TX does require a Class B upgrade for ALL RV's over 26,000# but is in no way related to air brakes.

Sorry, that is not true.

Reviewing/pointing out checking air brakes was sure part of my getting a Texas Class B Exempt. Could you get an inspector who did not ask-- sure, I guess so. But, you had better be prepared for it!

Actually, it became a joke around our local DMV office, as I took my test in my Alpine 38' DP. When asked to demonstrate checking the air brakes, I told them I couldn't. Sorry, you fail. WAIT-- this coach has hydro boosted, 4 piston hydraulic disk brakes with ABS. Ended up having to show the senior inspector the brake master cylinder. Good laugh for everyone.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never heard of a special license for air brakes in an RV. Unless you are pulling a 5er with a Petterbuilt

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
It may exist in some States but not FL, TX or SD (full timers States). TX does require a Class B upgrade for ALL RV's over 26,000# but is in no way related to air brakes.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO if you are going to put a bunch of miles on the MH, get a diesel for less noise.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
blawless wrote:
As was said earlier find the floor plan you like and then if its a gasser fine if a diesel fine. I have a 36' gasser and it has more storage than many diesels of the same size. Only one thing that wasn't mentioned regarding the diesel MH is the Air brakes. You will require an endorsement on your driver's license for the air brakes. This involves taking and passing air brake course before you can legally drive it. Which may or may not delay being able to drive it. In addition if you become sick etc.. (heaven forbid) while you're out and about does your significant other have the endorsement as well to be able to drive it home or to a safe location while on the road.
This unfortunately never gets mentioned in any of the diesel vs gas MH debates.

This never gets mentioned because it's not an issue in the US. I don't know of any state that requires a CDL with the air brake restriction removed to drive a motorhome with air brakes, UNLESS it's for commercial purposes. Maybe it's different where you're from.

Brawless did NOT mention CDL. He only give good advice about air brake endorsements, that does exist in some states.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
rjstractor wrote:
blawless wrote:
As was said earlier find the floor plan you like and then if its a gasser fine if a diesel fine. I have a 36' gasser and it has more storage than many diesels of the same size. Only one thing that wasn't mentioned regarding the diesel MH is the Air brakes. You will require an endorsement on your driver's license for the air brakes. This involves taking and passing air brake course before you can legally drive it. Which may or may not delay being able to drive it. In addition if you become sick etc.. (heaven forbid) while you're out and about does your significant other have the endorsement as well to be able to drive it home or to a safe location while on the road.

This never gets mentioned because it's not an issue in the US. I don't know of any state that requires a CDL with the air brake restriction removed to drive a motorhome with air brakes, UNLESS it's for commercial purposes. Maybe it's different where you're from.

Right. In some states it's based on weight and/or length if you need the CDl version of a regular driver's license. In some states there is no distinction at all.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
blawless wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3