Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The best upgrade for your TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> The best upgrade for your TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/22 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I put new tires on my trailer, I went from C to D. The trailer was just below the max weight (by less than 200lbs) for the two C tires. When I put the load D tires on, I "felt" a smoother ride from the trailer.

Now, I was also more confident in the tires and that may have affected my "feelings",

I'm towing with a Durango not a 2500, and I tow in the mountains, so I do feel the trailer behind me at least some of the time.

I also always check air pressure before and during the drive and make sure the tires are properly inflated.

So perhaps it has more to do with upgrading from load C to load D tires than because "chinabombs are squishy" or "good tires track better" or it's just that the OP has more confidence in the new tires and that has colored their perspective.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/22 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

When I put new tires on my trailer, I went from C to D. The trailer was just below the max weight (by less than 200lbs) for the two C tires. When I put the load D tires on, I "felt" a smoother ride from the trailer.

Now, I was also more confident in the tires and that may have affected my "feelings",

I'm towing with a Durango not a 2500, and I tow in the mountains, so I do feel the trailer behind me at least some of the time.

I also always check air pressure before and during the drive and make sure the tires are properly inflated.

So perhaps it has more to do with upgrading from load C to load D tires than because "chinabombs are squishy" or "good tires track better" or it's just that the OP has more confidence in the new tires and that has colored their perspective.

Two of the used travel trailers I have bought were equipped with "P" Passenger rated tires when they clearly should have had ST rated tires.

Towed those trailers home 40 miles with only 35 PSI in the tires, trailer never felt "squishy" and they did not become "China bombs" even though the tires were so old that they had severe weather checking cracks deep in the treads and side walls.

Correct tires should have been LR C in STs with 50 PSI which is what I changed them to once the trailers were ready to go camping.

Never felt any "change" in trailer handling..

Tire dealer actually bumped my trailer tires on my current TT to LR D, didn't tell me that and i ran those tires at 50 PSI.. Kept wondering why I was having issues with the tires no longer wearing even.. Discovered the change, bumped up the pressure to 60 PSI and no more odd tread wear.. For the record, LR D has 65 PSI sidewall pressure but running a light load on that will result in ripping the center tread off before the inside or outside tread.

I have to be mindful of that with my 10K GVWR flatbed trailer which has LR E tires at 80 PSI but my loads are often well below the max load ratings of the tires.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/22 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So IF I change my tires and IF I "feel" differently will that interfere with my "peace of mind". I have read where "peace of mind" can be achieved by giving a salesman loads of cash with the hope that if something goes wrong it is covered by the warranty he just sold them. After reading their issue is not covered then they may "feel" differently. If they "feel" differently will the placebo effect wear off and their trailer "track" differently?

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/22 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Not again..
[image]

Don't even know it's back there LOL.

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/22 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Myself, Have used what every tires I can find which are readily available and never had drivability, stability or blow outs issues...
OK and my oem DUROs came apart at less than 3 years. One blew and the rest were separating. Denman Express was supposed to be a quality tire with higher load range. Again about 3 years and a tread came clean off but still held pressure to pull over for the change on the Los Angeles freeway. OK step up to MAXXIS and again 3.5 years and there is a tread separating as I want to leave town. Changed the tire and went with no spare but plenty of anxiety.

Next set Endurance, no issues over 4+ years. Although one did pick up a nail that I found before it leaked down. Probably time to replace these on age alone. Endurance is the ONLY set that held together.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/22 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could definitely tell a difference in "tracking" when I upgraded my Trailer Kings to the Endurance. Flex in the sidewall was the difference. I described it as wiggle in the trailer that I could feel while towing. It also reduced sway when a truck passed. The next best upgrade I did was the Dexter wet bolts and shackles for the springs. I could feel it in how it handled. A lot more stable. The OP isn't crazy.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/22 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

Myself, Have used what every tires I can find which are readily available and never had drivability, stability or blow outs issues...
OK and my oem DUROs came apart at less than 3 years. One blew and the rest were separating. Denman Express was supposed to be a quality tire with higher load range. Again about 3 years and a tread came clean off but still held pressure to pull over for the change on the Los Angeles freeway. OK step up to MAXXIS and again 3.5 years and there is a tread separating as I want to leave town. Changed the tire and went with no spare but plenty of anxiety.

Next set Endurance, no issues over 4+ years. Although one did pick up a nail that I found before it leaked down. Probably time to replace these on age alone. Endurance is the ONLY set that held together.

[emoticon]

And yet, I have had several sets of those dreaded Carlisle ST tires that everyone on this forum called Bombs that never blew up on me..

Oh.. the hate and drama of the "arm chair tire gurus" on this forum..

As I said, if it makes you "feel better" run with it and be happy..

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/22 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

That's my "feeling". [emoticon]

I wouldn't choose my next tires based on someone else's "feeling", but if going with a certain brand, load, etc, makes ME feel better about MY choice than I'm happy. It doesn't really matter if my opinion that "I can feel the difference" is real or imagined.

But I also wouldn't claim that MY choice in tires is the only right choice.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/22 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

That's my "feeling". [emoticon]

I wouldn't choose my next tires based on someone else's "feeling", but if going with a certain brand, load, etc, makes ME feel better about MY choice than I'm happy. It doesn't really matter if my opinion that "I can feel the difference" is real or imagined.

But I also wouldn't claim that MY choice in tires is the only right choice.

I never claimed any one brand is better than any other brand or my choice is better than your choice.

I am saying that often there are things that can and do happen which are not any fault of the manufacturer, the place it was manufactured or even the owners fault.

Trailer tires are a long ways behind the driver, there are a lot of road "hazards" which your vehicle tires may miss but yet you end up with a blown tire on the trailer..

The first thought folks have is to blame where the tire was manufactured or the brand of tire.

I had a tire blow out on one of my trucks, I could have jumped to conclusions by blaming the brand or where it was manufactured.. But because I was able to here the air rush out, I was able to stop and pull over before the tire came apart.. With tire intact, the tire shop said, can't repair, I drove over a large bolt that was lying on the road and hole was too big to repair.

Never saw the bolt but the hole was larger than 3/4 diameter..

Trailer tires when they lose pressure will not give you any feed back like noise or change in feel. They go flat then spin and spin until the rubber overheats and shreds.. You won't know they are flat until you have driven a long distance and see things flying in the rearview mirror.. But yet the first thing happens is blame the tire brand or where it was made..

I had a trailer tire break a belt once on my flatbed, all I felt was a little shake from the trailer when stopping or starting. Once I was rolling no other difference felt. Only discovered the tire when I was doing routine checks of the brakes.. Saw the tire looked less than round..

People just get way to wound up in the blame game..

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/22 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@gdetrailer - I wasn't directing that at you. I agree with you. Any tire from any manufacturer can have issues. Any tire can have a blowout.

I think if any given person believes that buying only X brand tires is beneficial, then go for it and buy only X brand. But that doesn't mean everyone else has to agree or needs to buy X brand too. Everyone should make their own choices - that's why we have choices.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> The best upgrade for your TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.