cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victron DC to DC in engine compartment?

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone mounted their DC to DC charger in the engine compartment of their truck? I’m looking at options for where to mount a Victron Orion unit to charge the camper batteries off the trucks alternator. My camper batteries are in boxes mounted to the truck bed and I was thinking that if the Orion was in the engine compartment it might be more efficient for wiring. I’m not sure about the heat from the engine or potential to get wet though.

Just and idea, and maybe a bad one- wondering if anyone has done this?
http://flyte63.blogspot.com
10 REPLIES 10

I mounted my Victron 30 amp charger about 2 feet from the batteries. I ran 4 gauge wire from the alternator back to the charger. 4 gauge is good for the distance The charger terminals accept up to 6 gauge wire so I had to trim out a few strands of wire before the 4 gauge would fit the terminal. The setup works great and I've never noticed the unit getting hot.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog,

Close to the "house" battery, but not in the same compartment is the best location--since it is the "house" battery that needs charging.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Best to be close to the batteries.
There's batteries at both ends of the equation....
Best to be close to the battery that is being charged.

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
Since the DC--DC charger is for the camper battery's and not the trucks, thats what the alternator is for, mount it as close to the camper/trailer as possible.
I just tapped into my existing truck/trailer wiring inside the camper. #10 Red positive.
My Victron unit only charges to 18amps so Im good.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Best to be close to the batteries.

There's batteries at both ends of the equation....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input on this. I ended up installing the Victron Orion in the camper running 4AWG back to the camper from the engine bay. The Orion itself does run pretty hot, so I’ve added a fan in the electrical cabinet that comes on anytime the Orion is enabled by via an up-fitter switch in the truck cab. Seems like a nice unit, will get a chance to really test it on on the road soon.
http://flyte63.blogspot.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Heat is the kiss of death.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
flyte63 wrote:
Has anyone mounted their DC to DC charger in the engine compartment of their truck? I’m looking at options for where to mount a Victron Orion unit to charge the camper batteries off the trucks alternator. My camper batteries are in boxes mounted to the truck bed and I was thinking that if the Orion was in the engine compartment it might be more efficient for wiring. I’m not sure about the heat from the engine or potential to get wet though.

Just and idea, and maybe a bad one- wondering if anyone has done this?

if you read the manual you re suposed to mount it as closed to the batteries as possible.

I would run a new wire from your truck batteries to the plug area and then a second set back to the battery compartment and put your dc to dc there. the reason is you will get line loss from the wires, it is better to have loss if you have to before the charger rather than after it converts it to your charge voltage.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Heat and water would stop me. Does Victron make a recommendation yea or nay in their manual?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad