Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Wheel Bearings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Wheel Bearings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/22 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These threads pop up from time to time and always amazed by the responses.
On our 4th trailer and have yet to replace a wheel bearing using EZ-lube.

Simply Jack one wheel at a time and spin the tire while injecting grease.

Things to worry about.....proper tire PSI and roof maintenance.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/22 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

"Used to be, likely still applies, not a good idea to mix different types/brands of grease. "

I would really like to see some proof or research/testing done by a reliable source to back up that statement. Having serviced hundreds of semi trailer units and not knowing what grease was used previously, it was a rarity, rarity that a bearing in our fleet of over 10k units ever had a bearing failure. A bearing was only serviced when the unit was brought into the shop for a brake change. That could be anywhere from 1 year or 5 years. Servicing wheel bearings every year is just nonsense. I call malarky on that one.

When did you do all this service work on semi-trailers that used grease in the wheel bearings? My axles from the early '80s all had oil bath bearings.
And most fleets large enough to have shops to do their own service work buy large amounts of the same lube.

Mike134 wrote:

inner bearing about the same the outer bearing on the Cutlas is smaller. Weight per wheel about equal 1200lbs 455CI weighing them down (smiles)

Think if you put side by each you would see rollers are bigger/longer than 5000 lb trailer axle.
BTW, line mechanic at Olds dealer when heard GM was going to allow over 400 CID in A body cars starting in '70. Placed order for 455 powered 442. Got home from work draft notice in mail box.

Quote:

By chance you're not one of those that does an oil change every 3000 miles are you?

Actually no. Twice, the same NTC engine, needed bearings in the spring after mostly setting for winter. Oil sample the 3rd spring warned of contamination. My pickup rarely runs 1000 miles 2 months in a row. I have changed the oil when it had been in there 3 months, but used less than 500 miles.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/22 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

You won't have any problems.

I own a '72 Cutlas that sits for months at a time then gets driven to a car show or just taken out for a trip. Haven't looked at the front wheel bearings in 5 years. No need to. My fellow classic car enthusiasts feel the same way.
Only on forums will you find fear mongers

Just my 2 cents
X2
I have a 1985 Camaro IROCZ that I bought new
It now has 47,000 on the clock.
I did the front wheel bearings in 1987 at 40,000
It now gets driven once a year.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/22 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Think if you put side by each you would see rollers are bigger/longer than 5000 lb trailer axle.
BTW, line mechanic at Olds dealer when heard GM was going to allow over 400 CID in A body cars starting in '70. Placed order for 455 powered 442. Got home from work draft notice in mail box.

3500 lb axles on my trailer so close to same size

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/22 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

These threads pop up from time to time and always amazed by the responses.
On our 4th trailer and have yet to replace a wheel bearing using EZ-lube.

Simply Jack one wheel at a time and spin the tire while injecting grease.

Things to worry about.....proper tire PSI and roof maintenance.

I guess checking the condition of your brakes or adjusting them periodically is not on your list?

[image]

Just because you have EZ-lubes does not exempt one from making sure your brake shoes are not cracked, damaged or worn past legal requirements or making sure your bearings are in good shape.

So, in reality depending on the miles you are towing you really need to pull the drums every 12,000 miles or yearly which ever comes first.. That is what the axle manufacturers recommend which is ironically what they also recommend for greasing and checking the bearings condition and adjusting the bearings.

Bearings do wear which sometimes requires resetting them back to specs and periodically inspecting them for pitting, rust or heat damage can save you from losing a wheel while traveling..

On edit..

Per Dexter Axle manual HERE on page 44 they have a complete maintenance schedule chart..

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

* This post was edited 08/15/22 07:52am by Gdetrailer *

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/22 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"When did you do all this service work on semi-trailers that used grease in the wheel bearings? My axles from the early '80s all had oil bath bearings.
And most fleets large enough to have shops to do their own service work buy large amounts of the same lube."

Sea going equipment in LA Harbor. Very common for shipping companies to spec new equipment and have grease bearing axles. With the uncertainty of when a piece of equipment would come to the shop, they felt the grease bearings were the better option. We ran about half grease half oil bath. Very seldom had a chassis come in with a grease bearing leaking on the drum, the oil bath seals would dry out from sitting and leak. Sometimes a chassis may sit for a few years and not be used .

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/22 01:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll take an Advil cocktail with a Tylenol chaser.

I'd like to solve Pat.

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/22 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EZ Lube is a waste of grease. If you've ever taken one apart that had been used to the mfg'er directions you would see why. Hand pack and move on with your life. Spend the extra time and money on beer and travel.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/22 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mosseater wrote:

EZ Lube is a waste of grease. If you've ever taken one apart that had been used to the mfg'er directions you would see why. Hand pack and move on with your life. Spend the extra time and money on beer and travel.

Do you track your grease budget or something?
EZ lubes work great. Are you saying that you end up with more grease than absolutely necessary in the hub, or something even less significant than that?

Or is it just the typical geezer.net "them new fangled contraptions like EeeZeeeLoob are nothin but a mess. Back in my day, we disassembled the Model A hubs every other fortnight and cleaned the grease out with our tongues before hand applying Sinclair bearing lube with a wooden spoon." type comments.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/22 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

I would go on vacation and not give it a second thought. A repack every year is way overkill. I think I have repacked mine every 5 years possibly more.

And when you did, how did they look?
my guess is, they looked pretty good, but since I have the wheel off......

Honestly they looked like they didn't need to be touched at all. But then again my trailer is a weekender. It's a good year if it sees 800-1,000 miles. When life gets in the way that number drops to around 40 miles.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Wheel Bearings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.