Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does Anybody??

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
3D print in your RV?

I am a full timer and really want to do 3D printing but, I boondock most of the time and am wondering if they use a lot of power?
I have 2 - 100ah lithium batteries and run on a 2000W inverter.
Would it drain my batteries doing one project?

I just want a pretty small printer to do small parts, something mobile and easy to store.
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
By the way the sign I posted above (Bigger Hamer) you can download the STL file from Thing I Verse dot com.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Explorer II
Explorer II
We do not print in our RV but we do print at home.

My Prusa i3-MK2 has a E3D-6v 40W hotend, 120W heated build plate and a low current 'Silent Mode'.

If I'm printing PLA or PETG and not needing to heat the plate, it uses ~60W.

If I'm printing ABS at 250C with a 90C plate temp it will use ~170W to heat up and then ~120W on average to print.

You can place the printer in an enclosure to retain the heat and the build plate heater, which is the power hog, will not turn on so often to maintain temp.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got a small (140x140x140mm) Filiment printer (note there are two types of printers and several sub types.. This is one type) 65 watts (Flashforge Finder Lite) it's printing as I type.. You lose power the print needs to be re-started.
The one I have connects to the computer via SD card (Included with the printer) so you do not tie up a computer and add it's power load to the print.. Some connect via Wi-Fi,some by USB drive, some by other means some need the computer live to "Serve" the file. Mine does not.

Filiment printers do not turn out the very best quality print and have serious issues with some complex designs.. but are still a lot of fun and useful as well. I've printed some replacement parts.. Some tools (Printing a tool just now) Some Political Statements (no further comment) some 3-d Signs including
Not in Jail, NOt in a Mental hospital, Not in a Grave - I'd say I'm having avery good day (Note glittery sliver on purple not the best contrast but I had to try it) Just for fun I printed a musical instrument (Soprano Recorder) The young lady playing it seems to like it per her mother (I still am not sure how good the sound is..Got to ask the young lady, not her mother). An Alto (Longer won't fit my printer.

The other type of printer is Resin...NOW this produces a much higher quality print but.
1 The resin is a "Haz-mat" material before printing... With this type of printer you need to put it under a vent hood (Not something I can do here) and you fill a tank with the resin.. To print a light source moves up through the liquid. the lights (LED's? I do not know) "Set" the resin. very fine detail is possible here.

Once the print is done you lift it out (Glove up first) and transfer to a wash tank.. Was and rinse (The wash and rinse are also haz-mat and must be properly stored and disposed of) I don't think I'll be getting one of those.

Multi Color prints are possible

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
Ender3v2 uses about 240w on warm up (10 minutes or so). and average about 135 watts at 120v.

most small prints average 2-4 hours. my average print is 6 to 13, but it completely depends on a variety of factors beside size (z layer, infill) etc.

what are you trying to print?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm interested in one, I'll ask the grandkids. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like I will be able to do this, especially since I want a small one.....now the BIG question is.......which one!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Example: 200W for 2 hours. 200W/12.4V*2 hours*1.1 (10% loss) = 36Ah for the project.

Update: Lithium battery voltage is a little higher, add additional power for the computer prior to starting printing but we're getting into the noise level.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add the total power required (printer, computer, etc), divide by 12.4V, multiply by the number of hours and you have the total Ah required for a project. I'd add 10% for inverter losses. Compare to the battery Ah capacity.

Of course all of other house loads and any charging have to also be considered but at least you will have a ball park estimate of the additional project load.

Bob

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked it up and they say about 50-125 watts depending on the size of the printer.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Watts will vary between printers. With a good solar system and using the printer before noon it should work just fine. 60 to 100 watts average IMO. Full 200 amp hour Lithium batteries, usable 2200-2300 watts.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad