cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best route out of Brookings?

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

We are in Brookings,Or with a 43ft 5th wheel. We are heading to Bakersfield.

Map shows 299 to I5 but there is a fire warning and 299 seems not to be too friendly for large rigs. It is the shortest route.

Any known fire delays?
Any advise on a more RV friendly route out of Brookings?

MC
9 REPLIES 9

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take 20 from 101 to the 5. There is some slow traffic around the lake, but this is the fastest and easiest way.

Be sure to stop at Granzella's in Williams, just before you reach the 5. Phenomenally great sandwiches. They make this thing called a Muffuletta - with a New Orleans style dressing. Kind of messy to eat while driving, but really delicious.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't take I5 last summer so I don't know. I took 99.

MC
CA Traveler wrote:
From your description I5 was better last summer, but with some sections that were less desirable.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
From your description I5 was better last summer, but with some sections that were less desirable.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took 99 last year instead of I5. I found 99 to have a ton of road expansion joints and the truck lane to have damage. It was a rough ride for quite a while. Is I5 any better?

MC

CA Traveler wrote:
X2 On crossing at 20, fuel options at Lost Hills. South of Stockton you can take French Camp Rd to 99 as a option.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 On crossing at 20, fuel options at Lost Hills. South of Stockton you can take French Camp Rd to 99 as a option.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you. That seems like a better way. It is always hard to leave the coast with a big rig.

MC
MarkTwain wrote:
speediq99 wrote:
Hello,

Map shows 299 to I5 but there is a fire warning and 299 seems not to be too friendly for large rigs. It is the shortest route.

Any known fire delays?

MC

Skip 299, fires, road construction, and many delays:( Take 101 south to Hwy. 20 then east to I-5.
South on I-5 to Hwy 46. East to hwy. 99 then south to Bakersfield. 5 miles east on hwy 58 for a number of good RV Parks. Instead of I-5 you can take hwy 99 south to Bakersfield.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
speediq99 wrote:
Hello,

Any known fire delays?

MC

Skip 299, fires, road construction, and many delays:( Take 101 south to Hwy. 20 then east to I-5.
South on I-5 to Hwy 46. East to hwy. 99 then south to Bakersfield. 5 miles east on hwy 58 for a number of good RV Parks. Instead of I-5 you can take hwy 99 south to Bakersfield.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US199 to I5 at Grants Pass might worth considering. There's a twisty section along the river (roughly Patrick Ck to the summit), but it is used by logging trucks and 10 wheelers. The summit is actually a tunnel.

Otherwise CA20 is the easiest crossing to the south.

Y-Guy
Been a few years since I've been there but might take a look at Hwy 20 over to Williams/I5, gets you off the single lane roads faster Napa area was super slow for us. Or back track up 199 and catch I5 there.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon