cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very high aurora forecast for Aug 18

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There has been a double-barreled coronal mass ejection -- should hit on August 18 -- don't know if it will be dark enough to see it well.

I wish I were in Jasper right now! If you see this event, let us know how it was. Photos are always appreciated.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
12 REPLIES 12

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
We had a fabulous light show over this past weekend in Southeastern British Columbia. We just happened to be coming home late at night from a buddies Cabin at a mountain lake, and they were in front of us for about 20 minutes.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobs, I feel your pain. Whenever we need to see some stars (especially the Milky Way), we have to drive for three hours to get to really dark sky. I live in coastal Orange County, not far from Los Angeles. The light pollution is so intense that we can barely see the brightest stars from our back yard.

And as for the aurora, we'd have to drive for more than a week to get to the real North country.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Well that was a total waste of time and gas....

I drove way out into the countryside southeast of Calgary, and nothing, zilch, nada...

Even though I was about 45 miles away, the intense glow of the city was very visible. And there were lights everywhere, farms, ranches, little communities etc.

I got out of my car and scanned the horizon, but saw nothing.
Oh well, I tried. Would have been nice to see it.

Had a good look at the stars though. Even managed a phone pic of the Big Dipper
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
cptqueeg wrote:
Forecast for central Idaho is cloudy, which is a shame.
That happens all the time to us, every time there is an eclipse or some other Celestial Phenomenon, always cloudy. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

We are planning to head out of the city late this evening to see if we can find a viewing spot. Weather forecast is for clear skies here.

Biggest challenge is driving far enough to get away from the light pollution. Calgary area up through Edmonton is heavily lit.
If we head west, say to Banff area, there are a lot of trees in the way.
We'll likely head southeast of Calgary and find a farmers field or something to sit in.

I will bring my DSLR and long lens.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forecast for central Idaho is cloudy, which is a shame.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Best I ever saw was in N Ontario. The sky was all lite up. The mosquitoes were the size of small humming birds. I didnโ€™t last long.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Would be nice to see them again, maybe for the last time.
Saw them once a lot of years ago, (maybe 45years +/- ) while fishing one night in Northern NY.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I am 71 now but my first trip to Banff when I was 20, the 'light show' was fantastic. Everyone was out watching on the sidewalk in town. Thats how bright it was and it was moving from horizon to horizon or mountain to mountain across the valley sky. Locals said it was very unusual. It was cool being 20 years old while in Banff. Those were the days.

That would be nice to see.
I'm in Calgary, way in the deep south of the city, so have to drive a ways to get away from the city lights.
Going to check it out.

When I lived in Edmonton and Cold Lake as a kid I used to see some spectacular shows.

Thanks for posting.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I used to look at them when we lived in Manitoba, cold clear skies, especially in the winter. I'm stuck with overcast for the next few days.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TY for posting. Letโ€™s hope it is visible to all.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad