cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bigfoot Camper - Major Modifications I'm Considering...

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
So I've had my Bigfoot for several years now and have been generally pretty happy. In recent communication with another member here, I've thought once again about some major changes I have toyed around in the past. I thought I would spell them out here and see what others think about the idea.

1. I want to change out my AC unit. The current one I have sits 17" high off the roof and stands out like a sore thumb. It's also very noisy. My first thought was to go to a 12v DC unit. More common in the trucker world but starting to be more available due to the Sprinter camper craze. Expensive yes but lower profile and allows for running off batteries.

2. Alternative to changing out rooftop AC unit is eliminating it all together by combining it with the furnace. I do not know if there are ready made solutions out there but I have considered doing my own fabrication project to combine these two units together. The clear benefit is not having a huge AC unit on my roof anymore for trees to snag and I can either add another fan / vent in the opening left behind or just glassing it closed.

3. I currently have 200w of solar and a single 100AH LiFePo4 battery. I can easily add another 200w of solar, maybe even close to 400w if I eliminate the AC on the roof for a totall of 400w to 600w of solar. I have plenty of space to add another 300AH of LiFePo4 batteries. Going this route would allow me to run my AC on batteries which really is the ultimate goal really. Nothing fancy or unusual here.

4. Eliminate the generator and possibly 1 of 2 20lb propane bottles. Right now the generator is almost never used. It is bulky, loud, and heavy. Yes, convenient once in a while but with a much larger battery and solar setup I can't see how it would every be used. If I eliminated the generator I would consider finding a fiberglass shop to close off the outside access panel completely. I could then repurpose that space for better under counter / sink storage with full width drawers or something. Eliminating one of two propane bottles just frees up additional space and more weight savings. A single 20lb bottle should last at least one if not two weeks for just fridge and stove duty.

So those are the thoughts I am kicking around. Some of these paths are well traveled, others not so much. None of this is really necessary to improve our current camping lifestyle, much of it is for kicks and giggles. So with that, I'm putting it out to all you "seasoned" camper gurus for your own thoughts.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
44 REPLIES 44

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on generator, the last time I started my Honda 2200 was a year ago this month - not to say at some point I might not need it, but so far itโ€™s just been an insurance policy thatโ€™s kinda a hassle to get in & out from a rather tightish wing compartment. Solar and Lithium have mostly negated the need, except for extended durationsโ€ฆ

3 tons

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
G-Dog wrote:
Just let him run with the story. With the better part of 2 grand sunk into 2 different glorified jump starter packs (Jackery and Bluetti), it's a fair assumption that understanding is lacking.

Oh G-Dog..Oh so wrong...Again

I do not have a red cent into the Jackery/2-100 watt portable panels,they were given to me..As for the Bluetti,yes,I paid $399 for the 700 WH power station that has LFP(cylindrical cells) plus 700 watt PSW inverter/camp light and wireless charger for my phone..Quite handy in my truck camper to move around as needed..

So I guess your kinda right,I have $399 dollars wrapped up in a Jackery 1000 watt hour power station and two 100 watt portable solar panels and a 700 watt hour(55ah) Bluetti with LFP batteries...A fool I am..LOL

On topic,running an AC off of solar and LFP batteries is very do-able..So many things dictate how long etc the duty cycle will be,it's hard to guestimate how long it will run each time off of said battery bank and the power it needs..With the temp the same outside,sun directly on my TC makes a huge difference compared to it being in the shade where it cycles much more and uses less battery..

For me this solar thing is for kicks and giggles with three inverter generators(2-Honda's and a Igen 2200)that I don't use much anymore with solar, other than to power household things when the power goes out at home..

Good luck to the op and his choice for his needs..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
adamis wrote:
So I've had my Bigfoot for several years now and have been generally pretty happy. In recent communication with another member here, I've thought once again about some major changes I have toyed around in the past. I thought I would spell them out here and see what others think about the idea.

1. I want to change out my AC unit. The current one I have sits 17" high off the roof and stands out like a sore thumb. It's also very noisy. My first thought was to go to a 12v DC unit. More common in the trucker world but starting to be more available due to the Sprinter camper craze. Expensive yes but lower profile and allows for running off batteries.

2. Alternative to changing out rooftop AC unit is eliminating it all together by combining it with the furnace. I do not know if there are ready made solutions out there but I have considered doing my own fabrication project to combine these two units together. The clear benefit is not having a huge AC unit on my roof anymore for trees to snag and I can either add another fan / vent in the opening left behind or just glassing it closed.

3. I currently have 200w of solar and a single 100AH LiFePo4 battery. I can easily add another 200w of solar, maybe even close to 400w if I eliminate the AC on the roof for a totall of 400w to 600w of solar. I have plenty of space to add another 300AH of LiFePo4 batteries. Going this route would allow me to run my AC on batteries which really is the ultimate goal really. Nothing fancy or unusual here.

4. Eliminate the generator and possibly 1 of 2 20lb propane bottles. Right now the generator is almost never used. It is bulky, loud, and heavy. Yes, convenient once in a while but with a much larger battery and solar setup I can't see how it would every be used. If I eliminated the generator I would consider finding a fiberglass shop to close off the outside access panel completely. I could then repurpose that space for better under counter / sink storage with full width drawers or something. Eliminating one of two propane bottles just frees up additional space and more weight savings. A single 20lb bottle should last at least one if not two weeks for just fridge and stove duty.

So those are the thoughts I am kicking around. Some of these paths are well traveled, others not so much. None of this is really necessary to improve our current camping lifestyle, much of it is for kicks and giggles. So with that, I'm putting it out to all you "seasoned" camper gurus for your own thoughts.

If all you're doing is mild-climate winter camping, you should be golden :).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
I don't know by what magic you can get by with running the AC 30% of the time in anywhere near 100 degree heat. Maybe if you're parked in the shade, but the issues with that should be obvious.

It's all about what one is willing to spend for something they perceive as a necessity or a convenience. Spend $______ for the convenience of not listening to or having to break out a portable generator during a lunch stop is not something I would do, for occasional use like the OP.
Calculated decision and expenditure? Have at it. Last I checked, you're not spending my money on it, so let er rip.

The other point was and still is, and you said it...magic.
There are those that understand where babys and Christmas presents come from, and there are those who still think the stork and Santa Claus brings them.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I don't know by what magic you can get by with running the AC 30% of the time in anywhere near 100 degree heat. Maybe if you're parked in the shade, but the issues with that should be obvious.

30% is your number not mine, which is actually closer to 50-60% duty cycle (beyond 1 hr initial cool downโ€ฆ), however youโ€™re speculation is duly noted - FWIW, I donโ€™t know what type of equipment you have (??), and note that weโ€™re in LOW humidity (not east coastโ€ฆ), but itโ€™s not uncommon to hear similar disbelief from Lead acid folksโ€ฆRig size, on board equipment and region are all significant issues, and I never implied this could go on indefinitely, nor is it for most everybody - just that for us it is a major convenience that often works very well, but came with a price tagโ€ฆ

3 tons

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
adamis said, โ€œBeing able to kick on the AC in the camper from the truck (using a remote) and then having lunch in a cooled camper without the noise would be a huge win for me.โ€

We do exactly this and on a regular basis (visiting relatives), but much of this depends on equipment (solar, inverter, batts, air conditioner size), size of camper and region of countryโ€ฆFor a truck camper such as mine (single 10โ€™ slide-out, 11kbtu, LFP, solar) in low humidity โ€˜CalVadaโ€™ it can be a viable optionโ€ฆArrived last Saturday in 105d/f Fresno, CA, at 1530 and ran the air for about 5hrs straightโ€ฆProvided some well appreciated relief until the mid-evening began to cool - compressor cycling, concurrent with harvest, ending with about 60 usable a/hrs still in reserveโ€ฆCount me as one in the non-speculative โ€˜can doโ€™ camp, but admittedly may not work well for everybodyโ€™s scenarioโ€ฆLFPโ€™s are mandatory -JMO

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
3 tons wrote:
CA traveler said, โ€œ5000 BTUs is equivalent to 1465Wโ€โ€ฆ

By what method of calculation??

3 tons
By any actual energy conversion you choose.

As pointed out A/C BTUs are a marketing value and A/C efficiency is a factor reflecting actual AC energy (watts) usage.

There are online posts on actual BTU energy and A/C BTU conversion to watts.

Fair enough, but totally dismisses duty cycle, and potential concurrent harvestโ€ฆ

3 tons

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Being able to kick on the AC in the camper from the truck (using a remote) and then having lunch in a cooled camper without the noise would be a huge win for me.

Same here..Where I camp it would be extremely rare to need AC more than a few hours, if that..Were camping in the high mountains fishing/swimming/atving etc, not hanging out in the camper all day.

Others needs may be quite different while camping or for some, glamping..If it's that hot I need AC all day long camping,I'm staying home where it is really cool..LOL

Running a small AC on batteries ans solar is very do-able shown by many who have done it..Not on paper but in reality!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
adamis wrote:
I am surprised there are so many skeptics when it comes to running AC off of solar. There are many people who already done this in some form already.

I'm not at all skeptical that you can run the air/con off batteries.

I'm skeptical you can use it in a practical manner that people are accustomed to. Note, the one poster on here bragging about getting 4hr of use.

On a hot day, it's not unusual for the air/con to be running 20+ hours.

So location is a huge factor here which might explain the skeptics. I live on the West Coast and most of the areas where we would travel or camp, on a hot day it MIGHT be 100 deg during the day sometimes but then would cool down at night into the 60s or 70s. There are times when it stays hot till late in the evening but that really depends on the location (Coastal / Mountain versus Inland Valley). Obviously other areas of the country stay hot even at night so yeah, it wouldn't be practical to do this on all parts of the country.

However... even in those hotter climates, there are still times when being able to do it for a short amount of time is beneficial. Best example is while traveling between locations and stopping for lunch. Right now I have to run the propane generator to run the AC (which sounds like a blast furnace) to have lunch in the camper. Being able to kick on the AC in the camper from the truck (using a remote) and then having lunch in a cooled camper without the noise would be a huge win for me.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
adamis wrote:
I am surprised there are so many skeptics when it comes to running AC off of solar. There are many people who already done this in some form already.

I'm not at all skeptical that you can run the air/con off batteries.

I'm skeptical you can use it in a practical manner that people are accustomed to. Note, the one poster on here bragging about getting 4hr of use.

On a hot day, it's not unusual for the air/con to be running 20+ hours.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Iโ€™m curious where the โ€œmany RVs equipped with window unit Acs are?
Lol

I wouldn't consider them common but if you look at some of the cheaper 15-20ft non-slide travel trailers, you will find them.

Basically you don't need as much cooling power so a 5-8000btu window (sleeve?) unit can work.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JimK-NY wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:

Yesterday my 200 watt solar panel I have hanging on the ladder rack waiting for installation parts put out 850 watts

This makes no sense. A 200 watt solar panel is rated to produce 200 watts at the maximum; i.e., full sun and directly overhead. Efficiency also drops off at higher temperatures such as on the roof of an RV. Of course roof mounted panels are going to be at a severe angle away from the sun for most of the day, depending on the length of daylight and latitude.

The poster is confusing "watts" with "watt-hours".

Getting 4-5 times the rated watts in watt-hours is pretty typical.

Also, an air/conditioner is a heat pump, so converting wattage directly into BTU is misleading. It's using power to capture existing BTU inside and push them outside.

Think of it like lifting a 4000lb car vs pushing a 4000lb car. I can push a 4000lb car on flat pavement but no chance I'm going to lift it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
deleted
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland