cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mattresses, what’s your recommendation and why?

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
It’s time to replace our mattress, we have the stock mattress and put a memory foam topper on top but it’s still not the comfort we are looking for. Our home mattress is a luxury firm which is somewhere between medium and firm. We have an RV queen.

What is your preference and why?
2020 Thor Quantum WS31
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar BX4370
Blue Ox Patriot II Brake BRK2016
14 REPLIES 14

dedmiston
I had to furnish an apartment recently and I had great luck with IKEA. You can go to their warehouse and flop around on their floor units until you find one you like, and then you can have them ship one to you rolled up in a box.

Mine was heavy-ish, but not too heavy for one person to carry/drag while it was in the box. I'm sure their website shows weights if you're close to your cargo limit.

We had a Sleep Number in our last trailer and neither of us liked it very much. I'm sure they're fine at home, but ours just didn't travel very well, especially if you go up and down in altitude a lot.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quint Da Man wrote:
Wow expected a lot more reply's than this.Thanks to those who replied custom made is not the route I wanted to take, I was hoping to get some info on off the shelf mattresses. Wilderness, Brooklyn Bedding, etc....

The reason your not getting many replies is there are so many threads on the subject and each response is subjective to the person that writes it. For one who loves a memory foam, someone else hates them. Same with Costco, Bed in a Box, etc. You name it for some they are great and for others they are not.

My only recommendation is buy from a source you can return or donate for full refund. Get one that you can try for 60 days without commitment. Then if you like it, great, if not get rid of it and try again. We went with Mattress Insider for this reason only. We got the one with Latex, which is firmer than the memory foam (our first choice we ended up donating for refund). Each person is different so see what works for you.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
We need a new one too. We had ours custom made several years ago and it was great at the time, but we both find it too soft now and we end up with super sore lower backs, which is miserable. I guess things change as we age....:B

We are thinking of buying a new queen mattress from Costco, but haven't fully decided yet. Watching this thread with interest.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quint Da Man wrote:
Wow expected a lot more reply's than this.Thanks to those who replied custom made is not the route I wanted to take, I was hoping to get some info on off the shelf mattresses. Wilderness, Brooklyn Bedding, etc....
We've been away for a couple weeks, but my wife said she wants to change out our factory 5 year old mattress for a Nectar that we have at home. We have a full size queen in both places.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Thor Quantum WS31
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar BX4370
Blue Ox Patriot II Brake BRK2016

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
If you are happy with your mattress at home, buy the same model in an RV appropriate size.

I've got a waterbed at home, closest I've come is 6-10" medium firm foam with a 4" ultra plush topper. I can sleep on a foam hiking pad for a few days, a cot for a week, but anything longer I need soft but supportive or my back gets so tight I feel like crud driving and really, really need my masseuse.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sleep Number for us, since 2011, adjust each side to individual preference.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up I could sleep on most anything, anywhere. My favorite is a cot in a sleeping bag. Since that's not an option in my current RV I would prefer a mattress that keeps the DW and I comfortable all night long. Heck, in the early years of our relationship we fell asleep on the 9th fairway and did not wake up until it was almost too late! Thank goodness it was not the 1st fairway!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I’m an oddity, but I get a chuckle out of people worrying about mattresses.

Consider yourself lucky. I am really fussy-if it's too hard or too soft, I can't sleep.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a small mfgr in Phx make mine. I get them on the firm side and use a latex topper. I’ll never get memory foam again.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you are happy with your mattress at home, buy the same model in an RV appropriate size.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe I’m an oddity, but I get a chuckle out of people worrying about mattresses. I can sleep on carpet covered concrete. I’ve had a good nap on a gravel driveway with my jacket as a pillow. Hiked many hundreds of miles sleeping at night on a tiny little thin mattress. Never slept better than on a 1-1/2” self-inflating mattress in a tent even at 60 years-old.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

kmac7800
Explorer
Explorer
We got the Tochta mattress, where you can customize the firmness on either side. That way she gets the softer side, and I get the firmer side.

Good luck!

//KMac

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in TX or CO, Texas Mattress Makers (.com) will make you any size/shape mattress to fit the space available for the same price as their showroom mattress. Denver Mattress will do the same but I am not sure of the pricing. We have the Texas Mattress Makers unit and we were able to customize the thickness and the topper material as well as having the foot of the bed rounded to the exact shape of the foundation.