cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Video Transfer.. Help

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have several DVD's that I want to put on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 for long flights ahead.. In the past this was no problem when using my older Samsung Tab 10.1 and a program called "DVD Catalyst".. All I had to do was pick the device the DVD was going to be transferred to, hit convert and it put the DVD content in the correct format for the Tab 10.1.. Now I have a Galaxy Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, and the "DVD Catalyst" program doesn't list it as an option for conversion.. I tried the 10.1 setting and it converted it, but once copied to the Tab A7, it was just blurry images.. so that Idea didn't work.. any suggestions on another free program to accomplish this OR anyone suggest another device choice in the DVD Catalyst that would be similar to the A&..
8 REPLIES 8

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Problem resolved.. using old computer, started DVD Catalyst, and selected an older Samsung Pad with similar display settings as the A7...copied and converted the video and loaded it into the A7.. Thank goodness I kept the old PC..
Thanks for the help..

As mentioned, Handbrake is one of my favorite go to free open source media conversion apps. It's default settings do a great job of reducing video file sizes while maintaining quality. Yet you have the ability to modify these settings if desired.

One handy feature is a free way to easily convert to and from HEVC (H.265) videos, popular with newer smartphones and cameras, to a more widely playable H.264 format.

Though my most common use is being able to convert variable frame-rate videos (i.e. iPhone) to constant frame-rate. Variable frame-rate is commonly used to reduce file size, though video editors can have difficulty in accurately playing these back, resulting in sync issues or dropped frames.

If your system has an nVidia graphics card, you can set this in Handbrake to potentially speed up conversions. The setting is located under the 'Video' tab, in the 'Video Encoder' drop-down options.

Though it's been somewhat of a gray area, making a backup copy of 'purchased' copyrighted media has been regarded as permissible for personal use.

However, circumventing copy protection to make a copy is still only legal in U.S. under a few exceptions relating to academic, criticism, research, and accessibility. You can find more info from the Librarian of Congress.

Since some apps mentioned can be used for both backup and circumvention purposes, don't post specifics about their capability to break DRM or copy protection , as this potentially violates forum rules. Better discussed on other Internet forums.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom_M wrote:

Handbrake is an excellent freeware program that will transcode about any video format. As mentioned, the output format is pretty much limited to Mpeg-4. Handbrake will not strip copy protection without adding a file called "libdvdcss.dll".

Handbrake download: https://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?file=HandBrake-1.5.1-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe

libdvdcss.dll download: https://github.com/allienx/libdvdcss-dll/raw/main/1.4.3/64-bit/libdvdcss-2.dll

Another freeware program for converting video is Vidcoder. It uses Handbrake components and simplifies the process a bit. It also needs the "libdvdcss-2.dll" file to strip copy protection.

Vidcoder download here: https://github.com/RandomEngy/VidCoder/releases/download/v7.15/VidCoder-7.15.exe

Once you get the DVD ripped you will need to copy the resulting file to your tablet.

I suggest installing VLC video player on your tablet which will play about any format of video. Go to Google Store to get VLC.

Many ways to get the job done, but from what I gather, the program the OP was using rips the DVD AND converts the result directly to a file compatible for the device they choose. At the same time as it converts it is shrinking the files.

Found DVD Catalyst HERE

"Developer's Description
By Tools4Movies
DVD Catalyst 4 converts your movies and TV shows to small, great-looking video files that are perfectly optimized to play on the latest devices. The app includes profiles for thousands of tablets and smartphones, including Amazon Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX, Apple iPad Air and iPhone 5s/5c, Barnes and Noble NOOK HD/NOOK HD+, Fuhu Nabi, Vtech InnoTab and of course the latest Galaxy S4/Galaxy S5, Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Note devices from Samsung."

When I try to access Tools4movies website I get a browser warning not to go there..

I suspect that the program is no longer being developed and unless the OP wishes to buy a different program that can rip and convert they will need to use several different free software tools to do what the DVD Catalyst did (which both of us have recommended).

Workflow will need a ripping software.. then conversion/transcoder program to the file format desired.. Then manually copy the resulting file to their tablet..

I have never tried it, but more modern Android devices may even support .vob directly. The downside is the size if it does work, tablets have pretty limited storage and a 2 hr DVD movie at full DVD bit rate quality can easily be 6-8 gig in size (dual layer DVDs have up to 9 gig of space) hence the conversion to lower bit rates which save on storage space.

I suspect the OP will have to do some trial and error work to find a compromise in file size and video quality manually for the file conversion. Handbrake now days with it's very limited output choices might not be helpful.

Nothing special about the tablet, they have and pretty much should support most video file formats.. The trick here is DVD Catalyst most likely had a "preset" which matched certain target devices for optimizing storage and video quality.. Those presets are most likely the problem..

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Handbrake is an excellent freeware program that will transcode about any video format. As mentioned, the output format is pretty much limited to Mpeg-4. Handbrake will not strip copy protection without adding a file called "libdvdcss.dll".

Handbrake download: https://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?file=HandBrake-1.5.1-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe

libdvdcss.dll download: https://github.com/allienx/libdvdcss-dll/raw/main/1.4.3/64-bit/libdvdcss-2.dll

Another freeware program for converting video is Vidcoder. It uses Handbrake components and simplifies the process a bit. It also needs the "libdvdcss-2.dll" file to strip copy protection.

Vidcoder download here: https://github.com/RandomEngy/VidCoder/releases/download/v7.15/VidCoder-7.15.exe

Once you get the DVD ripped you will need to copy the resulting file to your tablet.

I suggest installing VLC video player on your tablet which will play about any format of video. Go to Google Store to get VLC.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
A little confused on your "workflow" of what you started with (PC, MAC, Tablet) to get it on your tablet..

DVDs like CDs need a ripping program, with DVDs ripping program will result in a MPEG2 DVD compliant video file ending with .vob

Not sure if Android natively plays .vob so I suspect the program you was using was converting the .vob to something like .mp4 which is playable by Android..

I do all of my work for a PC.

Starting with a PC with DVD drive, you need a ripping program, one I use a lot is DVD Decrypter (free) but DVD Decrypter is no longer being developed so it may not Decrypt/rip some DVDs..

That gets me to .vob..

To convert .vob to other file formats I use a program called WM Converter which was bundled with WM Recorder Version 14 (a audio/video stream capture program). Sadly, it looks like the company that was behind those programs no longer exists (was bought by another company) and the new companies versions are more like Malware.. Fortunately for myself I had saved a copy of the WM Recorder install program..

Another free software you could use is Handbrake, the only issue I have found with newer versions of Handbrake is you do not have much choice in what the final file format is.. They have dropped support for a lot of older file formats.

Some conversion softwares designed for exporting to portable devices like cellphones and tablets may have presets which reduces bit rates to make for smaller file sizes, that often will reduce the final output quality but result in a much smaller file for portable devices with limited storage space.

A pretty good source for A/V software is WWW.VIDEOHELP.COM

Most of the software they have posted is fairly well checked and vetted to ensure they are not hosting virus laden software.

They also have a forum dedicated to all things A/V..

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
My DVD stack is modest, but they are all on my computer now, available to copy to ipad for traveling.
I use DVDFab or Handbrake.. Takes a bit to figure the software out, and it is a slow job, but it is better than relying on the airline's choices.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Handbrake