cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Macerator - Tank Full

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
My friend has an older (I think 2012) Roadtrek with a broken macerator. She wants to empty the tank but the emergency 3” caps are under the van and don’t have a valve gate on them. If she were able to open them, which is difficult because the van is so low to the ground, she would get a messy gusher! Have any of you pumped out through the toilet? We put a sacrificial garden hose down the hole, which wasn’t easy due to the bends in the pipe, yesterday to see if this is feasible. We’re thinking of using a shop vac.
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox
10 REPLIES 10

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
how about camping world??? sometimes they can help in these situations.
john 'I am Canadian'

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, thank you for all of your responses. she (the owner) doesn’t have to empty the tank, but wants to as she can’t get it serviced before some planned trips.. This will allow her to use it if she doesn’t have a bathroom close by on her planned trips. Regular RV repair shops don’t want to service vans. La Mesa is the only authorized dealer and they are two hours away and are booked for months. It’s becoming harder to find RV repair shops here. She called a pump out service but their hose won’t fit down the toilet. She does have valve gates and opened one until she found that the macerator was barely making a noise and only a trickle came out. She immediately closed the valve. We weren’t sure if that valve affects the emergency tank caps that are unreachable underneath the RV. Bob Nestor thanks for your answer on the macerator. The first thing I thought about is the impeller. Thanks for all of your help.
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please keep us posted on her choice of remedies and the results.
Good luck.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had the same problem on my 2010 Roadtrek. Not sure how the 2012 is plumbed, but on my 2010 I was able to remove the macerator pump and repair it without having to drain the full black and gray tanks first. The most likely problem with the macerator is that the rubber impeller has sheared the drive keyway from the motor shaft. It's a pretty simple and inexpensive fix to replace the impeller which can be purchased off Amazon.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Can't they get the macerator fixed? Or get a new one? This must happen to others.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of no valve gate. Is there a compartment right about the outlet that maybe the handle is located in? I had a Pleasure Way and yes, it was low to the ground, but I did have the handles.

If me, I would call a septic tank service and get a pump out.

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
try calling rt to see if they have a solution or a fix.
maybe a rt dealer can help.
john 'I am Canadian'

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
…and a situation I’m glad not to have.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
A shitty situation.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Find a vacuum truck associated with portable toilet. Pay them to empty.