Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: no noise generators
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > no noise generators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Gjac

Milford, CT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/16/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/24/22 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Op said "Just wondering if this is a possible solution to running a generator, it may not run the A/C very long but up here we can get by without that and the microwave, and run the fridge on propane, just need the lights and electronics pumps, fans and maybe some music for a 3 day weekend. perhaps the tv for a movie on a rainy day." For what you are looking to do 2 6v GC batteries will be more than enough for a 3-day weekend. There is no need for Li batteries or these expensive portable units. I camp for a week like what you described, and my 230 AH batteries are at 50% SOC without any genset recharging. This has been an interesting thread with a lot of good information because many on here have greater energy requirements than you do. For what you are looking to do 2 6V Sam's Club golf cart batteries for about $200 will be a lot cheaper than these portable Li units with a lot less AH's.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/24/22 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:


what camp site will let you run a generator for 23 hours. up here you are limited to 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours around supper and they are even claming down more. lots of places have no generator policys. thats why I went pure solar.


I've used it boondocking when no one is nearby or I've been in boondocking areas where everyone is running them anyway. ie: no formal policies.

I've also used it in formal campgrounds when the voltage sags to unacceptable levels (as in below 100v with the autoformer boosting) or fails entirely. I've offered to shut it down as soon as they provide the 120v power I contracted for when renting the site...they usually say "never mind" at that point.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


naturist

Lynchburg, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/24/22 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

How much time did you spend building your unit including research?
My point is you have no labor or overhead in your pricing. So how does that make those for sale over priced?
I can make my own hamburger or I can go out and buy one.
Does that mean McD's over priced?


You are right, I didn't include my time building. I also neglected to mention having purchased my parts at retail, rather than wholesale, unlike the "power station" manufacturers.

And you are right about Mickey D and the hamburger situation. But if I make my own, you can bet it'll be better than the McD version!

Being retired, the time/labor of building such a device falls into the hobby category. But to be fair, if I charged myself for the labor of building these devices, I get to pay myself around $500 a day for my efforts, paid for by the difference in cost between the commercial unit and the home made one(s). While that is below my daily rate when I was a working stiff, it is well above what I'd make greeting at Wally's. I call the commercial units overpriced because that labor rate is well above what the guys in the factory are making, and the wholesale/retail markup make for what looks like a very profitable product. Maybe that's why it appears everybody on the planet it going into building the things.





toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/24/22 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Op said "Just wondering if this is a possible solution to running a generator, it may not run the A/C very long but up here we can get by without that and the microwave, and run the fridge on propane, just need the lights and electronics pumps, fans and maybe some music for a 3 day weekend. perhaps the tv for a movie on a rainy day." For what you are looking to do 2 6v GC batteries will be more than enough for a 3-day weekend. There is no need for Li batteries or these expensive portable units. I camp for a week like what you described, and my 230 AH batteries are at 50% SOC without any genset recharging. This has been an interesting thread with a lot of good information because many on here have greater energy requirements than you do. For what you are looking to do 2 6V Sam's Club golf cart batteries for about $200 will be a lot cheaper than these portable Li units with a lot less AH's.


The voice of reason!


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/24/22 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel so much better. I read solar generator and put a solar panel on my lawn mower hooked up to the battery, with a couple emergency LED and a 12V outlet, advertised it on Craigslist as a state of the art Solar Mower Generator. I am not getting any calls on it.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/24/22 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjrbus wrote:

I feel so much better. I read solar generator and put a solar panel on my lawn mower hooked up to the battery, with a couple emergency LED and a 12V outlet, advertised it on Craigslist as a state of the art Solar Mower Generator. I am not getting any calls on it.
Have read some riding lawn movers converted from gas to electric.
Try that, might get more calls.

They may just want you to come over and mow with far less noise [emoticon]


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/22 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Lantley wrote:

How much time did you spend building your unit including research?
My point is you have no labor or overhead in your pricing. So how does that make those for sale over priced?
I can make my own hamburger or I can go out and buy one.
Does that mean McD's over priced?


You are right, I didn't include my time building. I also neglected to mention having purchased my parts at retail, rather than wholesale, unlike the "power station" manufacturers.

And you are right about Mickey D and the hamburger situation. But if I make my own, you can bet it'll be better than the McD version!

Being retired, the time/labor of building such a device falls into the hobby category. But to be fair, if I charged myself for the labor of building these devices, I get to pay myself around $500 a day for my efforts, paid for by the difference in cost between the commercial unit and the home made one(s). While that is below my daily rate when I was a working stiff, it is well above what I'd make greeting at Wally's. I call the commercial units overpriced because that labor rate is well above what the guys in the factory are making, and the wholesale/retail markup make for what looks like a very profitable product. Maybe that's why it appears everybody on the planet it going into building the things.

I imagine there are huge marketing cost in developing a unique product.
Even among us RV'ers we debate the usefulness of the product and what it actually is? What is it actually capable of doing? Takes lots of marketing $$$ to introduce a novel product. As mentioned not everyone is capable of buiding their own solar genset battery pack contraption!


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


jaycocreek

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/22 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Battleborn 230ah(3456wh) bare battery......$2375
Bluetti B300 3072wh(240ah) with outlets.....$1999

Battleborn is more expensive here..


Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/22 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjrbus wrote:

I feel so much better. I read solar generator and put a solar panel on my lawn mower hooked up to the battery, with a couple emergency LED and a 12V outlet, advertised it on Craigslist as a state of the art Solar Mower Generator. I am not getting any calls on it.


Just wait...there are a few folks here who'd beleive that...just needa sucker! LOL


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/22 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Battleborn 230ah(3456wh) bare battery......$2375
Bluetti B300 3072wh(240ah) with outlets.....$1999

Battleborn is more expensive here..


Just proof that if you try hard enough to prove yourself right, you can typically find some obscure example by which to hang you hat on.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > no noise generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.