cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing trailer out of state a campground storage

ESDA
Explorer
Explorer
We are from Michigan and we travel to Myrtle Beach quite often. We typically stay at one of the mega campgrounds on the ocean. These campgrounds offer trailer storage on their lots and will put your trailer in place at the site when you come down. We were thinking of doing this as we could make the trip a lot faster without the trailer. Has any one done this? Any issues that came up? Also is there anything special that would need to be done to the trailer storing it in this environment to help protect it long term? Thank you for any help or advise.
7 REPLIES 7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Anything to protect it?
Same as storing it at home (unless you keep it in a shop), except more sun, more salt, more wind than Mitchegan.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned thousands of RVs are stored there for the same reason as you mentioned.

We visit MB yearly but storing at MB wouldn't work for us since we also visit relatives elsewhere.. We see a lot of RVs brought in from storage every time we are there, must be a lot of satisfied folks.

If it was our sole destination it would be a consideration.

Downsides are it is stuck in one place so if you want to camp elsewhere it would be a very long drive to get it to do other camping.

Cost, I suspect MB storage costs would be higher than non beach storage (tourists destination costs are higher). Depending on campground you might be stuck staying at that campground because of the storage lot is theirs. Not sure if there is independent lots and movers which would allow you to choose what campground you want to use, you would have to check into that. Setup costs can vary depending on level of service you want from basic move to full leveling and hookups (even turning on fridge and A/C).

If the costs and/or limitations are acceptable to you then perhaps give it a try.

As said, you most likely will need to make sure no food/drinks/trash is left behind in the RV. Bedding and stuff might be fine but you might wish to pack in some mouse proof containers for storage.. Would be a buzz kill to get there and find your stuff has been gone through by mice.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
My only real concern would be hurricanes. It's a long drive to pop down and move it every time a hurricane threatens...and then will you stop after the first times.

As mentioned, make sure your insurance covers you in case of hurricane and make sure to clear out food and winterize before leaving.

Certainly it would be a lot more convenient and the fuel savings would likely offset the storage costs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a friend that lives in Wilmington, NC and stores their 5er at MB travel park. Any time they want to go the park sets it up then stores it when they leave. They return several times each year and it seems to work for them

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live in Alaska and our DP hasn't been home in 12 years. We generally prefer to leave it on the west coast, but it's been left all over the US. We generally try to pick a spot Alaska Airlines flies in and out of. The only time we had a worry was when the Mississippi was flooding the area where we left it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to consider if you're going to store away from home is insurance, my trailer is covered by my auto insurance with a policy if I'm towing it or at a campground, and under my homeowners when it's at home, but I'm not sure what coverage I'd have if it were damaged in storage. For me the only time I've stored away from home it was under a mountain so the only things that could happen to it would have been caused by negligence of the storer, but in a campground or lot by the shore there's hurricanes, floods, tornados, etc. which might leave you with a gap in coverage if you're not careful and explicit about what coverage you purchase.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are many thousands of trailers stored in and around MB. Treat it the same way as if you had it home and getting it ready for winter. Do a full winterize on it as we can get some temps in the 20's. Bring the battery home and take all the foodstuffs out of it. In the spring inspect it from the roof down as you would at home. Dewinterize it and check the tires. Do everything as if it was stored at home and don't forget to bring the battery back.
In case you are not aware, there are probably hundreds of rv storage lots in the area. You might want to shop around. Some may offer the same service as the campgrounds. I have not checked recently but not long ago Jellystone Park in Tabor City was a dollar a day and things do not go missing there. It is about 45 minuted to the beach from there.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member