cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Las Vegas Nevada to Tampa Florida

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it's time to start our journey back toward home (Seekonk Ma.). We will be visiting family in Las Vegas Navada. Starting from there Google is showing: I40 to Amarillo Texas-287 to Fort Worth Texas, which I'd like to avoid,then pick up I20 to Jackson Mississippi-Rt 49-Rt98 to Mobilethen I10 to Florida. My destination is Tampa, we will continue N/east after our family visit, but once we're in Florida I'll probably take some of the coast roads south to the Tampa area. I know this is a long drive and asking folks to spend some extra time on the response, but as always DW and I appreciate your help.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
6 REPLIES 6

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
stickdog wrote:
When you get to Wichita Falls just East US 82 splits from US 287 take it to I30 about 30 miles West of Texarkana and I49 down to I20 at Shreveport. Totally avoid Ft Worth Dallas metroplex.

I very much agree with this advice. I just followed it up to Wichita Falls on the way to Colorado and again from Wichita Falls on the way back.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just arrived in Las Vegas Yesterday. I'm going to work my way South at Jackson and Hattiesburg to I-10 but I'm thinking I'll pickup Fla Rt 98 south of Pensacola and run that for a while. I read there are some very nice campgrounds along that road.
As always thanks for the suggestions they helped me a lot!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
docsouce wrote:
Well it's time to start our journey back toward home (Seekonk Ma.). We will be visiting family in Las Vegas Navada. Starting from there Google is showing: I40 to Amarillo Texas-287 to Fort Worth Texas, which I'd like to avoid,then pick up I20 to Jackson Mississippi-Rt 49-Rt98 to Mobilethen I10 to Florida. My destination is Tampa, we will continue N/east after our family visit, but once we're in Florida I'll probably take some of the coast roads south to the Tampa area. I know this is a long drive and asking folks to spend some extra time on the response, but as always DW and I appreciate your help.
Las Vegas to Kingman, AZ, I-40 to Amarillo, TX, US 287 to I-20, I-20 to Jackson, MS, South to Hattiesburg, MS, Mobile, AL, I-10 to I-75 in Florida, I-75 to Tampa.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to Wichita Falls just East US 82 splits from US 287 take it to I30 about 30 miles West of Texarkana and I49 down to I20 at Shreveport. Totally avoid Ft Worth Dallas metroplex.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been up and down that way many times. I'd drop down to I10 and just follow that east to I75 in FL and that to Tampa.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dedmiston
I try my best to avoid Texas.

I did the drive a few months ago and too I-40 as far as Little Rock, AR and then moseyed my way southeast down to Mobile and followed the gulf. It took a little extra time, but the drive was nice.

Driving back west again I kind of went nuts. I started in Orlando and drove to Jacksonville and up through the Carolinas up into Virginia to take the Blue Ridge Parkway west for a while, and then I took I-40 west until I got to TN and then took back roads up into KY and through IL into MO to visit an old family spot in the Ozarks before finally taking a more direct route through KS and then south through Utah, Nevada, and into California. It was a fantastic trip, but I wouldn't recommend it as a quick route.

If you take I-40 east, you'll see some ruggedly beautiful country in Arizona and New Mexico. It gets pretty bleak in Texas and western Oklahoma, but it eventually gets green and pretty again in eastern Oklahoma. From there it's a beautiful drive as far as you feel like continuing on I-40 until you eventually dip south. I've done it three times this year and enjoyed every path we took to get down to Florida.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230