cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New smartphone direct-to-Starlink satellite service

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uses customer's existing smartphone and firmware - No hardware or software updates required.

Passes signals directly between the smartphone and Starlink satellites - No terrestrial cell towers required.

Source: SpaceX Updates

SpaceX Invites World's Carriers to Collaborate โ€” No More Cell Phone Dead Zones

SpaceXโ€™s Chief Engineer Elon Musk and T-Mobileโ€™s CEO and President Mike Sievert announced today a breakthrough plan to provide truly universal cellular connectivity.

Despite powerful LTE and 5G terrestrial wireless networks, more than 20% of the United States land area and 90% of the Earth remain uncovered by wireless companies. These dead zones have serious consequences for remote communities and those who travel off the grid for work or leisure. The telecom industry has struggled to cover these areas with traditional cellular technology due to land-use restrictions (e.g. National Parks), terrain limits (e.g. mountains, deserts and other topographical realities) and the globeโ€™s sheer vastness. In those areas, people are either left disconnected or resort to lugging around a satellite phone and paying exorbitant rates.

Leveraging Starlink, SpaceXโ€™s constellation of satellites in low Earth orbit, and T-Mobileโ€™s wireless network, the companies are planning to provide customers text coverage practically everywhere in the continental US, Hawaii, parts of Alaska, Puerto Rico and territorial waters, even outside the signal of T-Mobileโ€™s network. The service will be offered starting with a beta in select areas by the end of next year after SpaceXโ€™s planned satellite launches. Text messaging, including SMS, MMS, and participating messaging apps, will empower customers to stay connected and share experiences nearly everywhere. Afterwards, the companies plan to pursue the addition of voice and data coverage.

In addition, Elon and Mike shared their vision for expanding Coverage Above and Beyond globally, issuing an open invitation to the worldโ€™s carriers to collaborate for truly global connectivity. T-Mobile committed to offer reciprocal roaming to those providers working with them to enable this vision.

This service will have a tremendous impact on the safety, peace of mind, and individual and business opportunities around the globe. The applications range from connecting hikers in national parks, rural communities, remote sensors and devices, and people and devices in emergency situations, such as firefighters.

This satellite-to-cellular service will provide nearly complete coverage anywhere a customer can see the skyโ€”meaning you can continue texting and eventually make a cell phone call even when you leave terrestrial coverage. Weโ€™ve designed our system so that no modifications are required to the cell phone everyone has in their pocket today, and no new firmware, software updates, or apps are needed. As a complementary technology to terrestrial networks, SpaceX can enable mobile network operators to connect more people, fulfill coverage requirements, and create new business opportunities.

If you represent a mobile network operator or regulatory agency and are interested in partnering with SpaceX to bring this new level of mobile connectivity to your region, please reach out to us at direct2cell@spacex.com.
47 REPLIES 47

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crabbypatty wrote:
Its simple. Set phone to wifi calling and it goes over starlink wifi router.

Eventually, some passenger vehicles will offer a built-in Starlink terminal as a factory option - which will make what you're describing commonplace.

No need for a smartphone-to-satellite direct connection, when you can just tether your smartphone to the satellite terminal in your vehicle instead.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Its simple. Set phone to wifi calling and it goes over starlink wifi router. I have starlink and thats what I use, in low or non existant cell phone signal areas. Starlink is A+ in the rv.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
globalstar Satellites powered by a proprietary network of satellites that are Always On, and Always Reliable.

The Globalstar Satellite Network

the iphone 14 says the service will be free for 2 years then there will be a monthly charge no word on how much though.
if you do a lot hiking or mountain climbing in areas without cell service it may be worth it. have to wait and see how well it works.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane wrote:
I was referring to the Globalstar satellites used by the Apple iPhone 14 - not the Starlink satellites.

Apparently, the iPhone 14 doesn't use them for anything other than "SOS" service - which means that iPhone 14 users don't know if their Globalstar satellite access is actually working until they need it in an emergency.
I agree seems more Hail Mary than handshake.

Still.... cell towers could be obsolete in a decade.

Uncontrolled internet communication will be a new world order. Not sure if better or worse.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
shastagary wrote:
Not sure I'd count on being able to access a satellite that's only used under extraordinary conditions.

the satellite service used will be starlink internet service that is used daily by those who have it.

don't know if there will be a way to test it we will see

I was referring to the Globalstar satellites used by the Apple iPhone 14 - not the Starlink satellites.

Apparently, the iPhone 14 doesn't use them for anything other than "SOS" service - which means that iPhone 14 users don't know if their Globalstar satellite access is actually working until they need it in an emergency.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:
I can not speak for Samsung, Apple or Star link only how I would do it if I were designing the phone or it's program.

IF you lose cellular... (Out of range) I'd have the phone listen for a satellite and if it sees one it would display a message. It might even "handshake" with it and let you know if it gets and ACK or not.

Either they have tested the system and it works...or it doesn't. Providing you feedback in a non-emergency is not required and may degrade the operation.

The problem is if you have a million phones trying to do a handshake once a minute on a very limited capability system, there may be no bandwidth when there is a real message to send.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:

Will it? I get yjr impression it will be on the new constellation of Starlink sats. Also that article I posted give the impression that this be a T-Mobile service

For Data and phone service yes. For emergency I think there is a chance it would work for text only.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
i guess we will not really know until it happens lots of speculation on it right now

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
the satellite service used will be starlink internet service that is used daily by those who have it.

Will it? I get yjr impression it will be on the new constellation of Starlink sats. Also that article I posted give the impression that this be a T-Mobile service
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I'd count on being able to access a satellite that's only used under extraordinary conditions.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can not speak for Samsung, Apple or Star link only how I would do it if I were designing the phone or it's program.

IF you lose cellular... (Out of range) I'd have the phone listen for a satellite and if it sees one it would display a message. It might even "handshake" with it and let you know if it gets and ACK or not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
shastagary wrote:
this shows how it should work starting in November

satellite sos for emergencies

Do they provide any way of testing it, other than having an actual emergency?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Skibane wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
I can understand receiving a signal from a more powerful satellite, but how is 1/10 of a watt going to "reply"?

Increasing the receiving gain of the antenna on the satellite reduces the amount of transmit power required from the smartphone.

Having big "ears" makes it easier to "hear" weak signals.

The other thing to keep in mind is the fresnel zone.

While we often think of radio signals as line of sight, there is actually an oblong oval shaped area between the two radios where the signal passes (layperson explanation).

If you have two kids at the end of a football field with walkie-talkies, the ground is blocking a big part of the signal. It's such a short distance that enough signal gets thru but much is lost. Add in trees, hills, buildings, etc... and only a small part of the fresnel zone may be clear to carry the radio signal.

This is why radio towers are tall. As much as possible, they are trying to get above any obstructions that block the fresnel zone.

If you are in an open field, communicating with a radio directly above you, you have a near perfect fresnel zone reducing the amount of signal that is lost.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
The SOS feature is enough that I'm going to spring for an iPhone 14 for the wife to replace her original SE. I was going to get her a 2022 SE but if I use it even once it's worth the few hundred dollars extra.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH