Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: New to the TT world
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to the TT world

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2023 NoBo 19.5 vs the Flagstaff e-pro 19FDS

Which is the better travel trailer? I'm new to this endeavor and have plans to make a purchase within 6 months. All perspectives welcome.

Cj

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/22 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not pick a single axle TT. Only 30 gallons of fresh water seriously limits the ability of a family to dry camp. Heck, seriously would limit me.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, the NoBo would be the obvious choice as having to constantly make and unmake the bed gets old. The fact that the NoBo has a full queen and a radius shower are the icing on the cake.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both models are made by Forest River (mediocre build quality on a good day), and both models have slideouts (which add a lot of weight and mechanical complexity).

A few other brands to consider with better reputations for build quality:

Bigfoot
Casita
Escape
Scamp

If you're feeling spendy, also take a look at Oliver.

ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 01:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

For me, the NoBo would be the obvious choice as having to constantly make and unmake the bed gets old. The fact that the NoBo has a full queen and a radius shower are the icing on the cake.

I appreciate the response.. I do like the murphy bed and don't mind it.. I also should have been more clear on what I am looking for.. I'd like to have a TT that can run the AC off of the batteries and these 2 have optional paower pkgs that will allow this.. and these 2 seem to be the least expensive as well as I'd like a TT with the least amount of wood in the structure.

ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 01:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

Both models are made by Forest River (mediocre build quality on a good day), and both models have slideouts (which add a lot of weight and mechanical complexity).

A few other brands to consider with better reputations for build quality:

***Link Removed***
***Link Removed***
***Link Removed***
***Link Removed***

If you're feeling spendy, also take a look at ***Link Removed***.

I appreciate your feedback.. I did like the escape and the Oliver but the rest were meh... I don't mind a slide out but my apologies for not being clear from the start...I'd like to have a TT that can run the AC off of the batteries and these 2 have optional paower pkgs that will allow this.. and these 2 seem to be the least expensive as well as I'd like a TT with the least amount of wood in the structure...

I take it you're not a huge fan of the Forest River Co?

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 01:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ChrispyjCSLT22 wrote:

afidel wrote:

I appreciate the response.. I do like the murphy bed and don't mind it.. I also should have been more clear on what I am looking for.. I'd like to have a TT that can run the AC off of the batteries and these 2 have optional paower pkgs that will allow this.. and these 2 seem to be the least expensive as well as I'd like a TT with the least amount of wood in the structure.

Nope, if you think you're going to run your Air-conditioning off a factory installed solar setup you will be very, very disappointed. A solar system capable of running even an 8k BTU AC unit for any length of time is going to be in the $7-10k range. All the factory system will do is run your lights, water pump, and 12V board for a 2-way fridge or extend the time you can run a 12V compressor fridge to a few days (maybe indefinitely if they can take a 2nd panel and you invest in better batteries).

Btw if your goal is to avoid wood check out used Livin' Lite trailers.

ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 01:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

ChrispyjCSLT22 wrote:

afidel wrote:

Nope, if you think you're going to run your Air-conditioning off a factory installed solar setup you will be very, very disappointed. A solar system capable of running even an 8k BTU AC unit for any length of time is going to be in the $7-10k range. All the factory system will do is run your lights, water pump, and 12V board for a 2-way fridge or extend the time you can run a 12V compressor fridge to a few days (maybe indefinitely if they can take a 2nd panel and you invest in better batteries).

Btw if your goal is to avoid wood check out used Livin' Lite trailers.

here I go again not being clear, my apologies once again.. I do not expect to run a AC overnight non stop... just during the hot parts of the day, and for a few minutes in the evening...

I will check them out... I just have this fear/phobia about wood in the structure and as other folks have said, leaks is part of the TT life and I want to avoid rot, mold, mildew delam, etc..

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 03:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Choosing an RV based on its electrical equipment is a bit like choosing a car based on the color of its floormats...

Comparable electrical equipment can be installed in just about any RV, after the purchase - Typically, at just a small fraction of the cost.

RV manufacturers and their dealers tend to exaggerate the capabilities of just about every feature they offer: If they claim the A/C can be run for 4 hours before the batteries die, you can probably expect 1-2 hours in the real world.

This is another reason to do your own research, and decide what electrical equipment will actually work for you - rather than buying a specific RV simply because of the manufacturer's claims.

ChrispyjCSLT22 wrote:

and these 2 seem to be the least expensive as well as I'd like a TT with the least amount of wood in the structure...

All of the brands I suggested use molded fiberglass construction. There is virtually no wood used in them, other than interior cabinetry and a wood floor inside another fiberglass shell.

They're built like boats - Just two pieces of fiberglass joined together, with no seams on the roof or wall corners to leak.

The models you're considering have a continuous seam along the entire length of wherever one flat surface butts up against another - All 4 edges of every wall, plus the roof and underside.

If any of those seams ever leak, you've got water intrusion.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two construction methods.

* This post was edited 08/27/22 03:18am by Skibane *

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have never camped before, I suggest renting something for a weekend or two. Fall is a wonderful time to camp ! Take some extra blankets and an electric heater.

Second step, buy a lightly used 2 or 3 year old rig. Don't be too picky about the model. The point is to get experience with the layout/floorplan. After a year or so, you will have a better idea what you want.

Last, fall is a good time to shop for "last year" models or those lightly used ones. No one wants to store them for winter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to the TT world
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.