Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: New to the TT world
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to the TT world

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

All of the brands I suggested use molded fiberglass construction. There is virtually no wood used in them, other than interior cabinetry and a wood floor inside another fiberglass shell.

I think "eggshell campers" (that is what they call 100% fiberglass models) are great ! Two downsides. Most are small. The larger ones are EXPENSIVE !!

Regarding appliances. I would seriously consider going 100% electric, no propane. Few people camp in cold weather some you really don't need a furnace. Take a small electric space heater to "take the chill off". Solar is nice, but first put your money into a good set of batteries and an inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch. A portable generator is a must !

If you really want to get radicle, skip the black water tank. Use a cassette or composting toilet.

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

Both models are made by Forest River (mediocre build quality on a good day), and both models have slideouts (which add a lot of weight and mechanical complexity).

A few other brands to consider with better reputations for build quality:

Bigfoot
Casita
Escape
Scamp

If you're feeling spendy, also take a look at Oliver.

Spendy indeed. The OP said ready to buy in the next 6 months. I doubt any of those brands listed will be found new just sitting on a dealers lot and if they are you can bet it will be for top dollar. I would bet there are production waiting lists at all of them for ordering. They're few and far between on the used market also, and they're always priced out of sight. So unless the OP has lots of time and money, or is extremely lucky, I'd say those brands are not on his radar, nor are the prices.

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Most of the brands I listed aren't sold at dealerships - they're ordered directly from the factory.

No dealership means no dealership mark-up.

Typically, prices are clearly posted - there is no haggling over them.

With the exception of Oliver, their prices are in line with many stick-and-staple-built RVs - and their resale values are considerably higher.

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/22 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ I'd like to have a TT that can run the AC off of the batteries and these 2 have optional paower pkgs that will allow this.”

So would most of us! Are you willing to spend big time on solar and batteries with your limited budget? And I mean big time.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

Choosing an RV based on its electrical equipment is a bit like choosing a car based on the color of its floormats...

Comparable electrical equipment can be installed in just about any RV, after the purchase - Typically, at just a small fraction of the cost.

RV manufacturers and their dealers tend to exaggerate the capabilities of just about every feature they offer: If they claim the A/C can be run for 4 hours before the batteries die, you can probably expect 1-2 hours in the real world.

This is another reason to do your own research, and decide what electrical equipment will actually work for you - rather than buying a specific RV simply because of the manufacturer's claims.

ChrispyjCSLT22 wrote:

and these 2 seem to be the least expensive as well as I'd like a TT with the least amount of wood in the structure...

All of the brands I suggested use molded fiberglass construction. There is virtually no wood used in them, other than interior cabinetry and a wood floor inside another fiberglass shell.

They're built like boats - Just two pieces of fiberglass joined together, with no seams on the roof or wall corners to leak.

The models you're considering have a continuous seam along the entire length of wherever one flat surface butts up against another - All 4 edges of every wall, plus the roof and underside.

If any of those seams ever leak, you've got water intrusion.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two construction methods.

I appreciate these suggestions but I'm afraid with the only 2 I liked, its out of my range...

And I agree with you concerning the construction method, but you don't believe there are any other TTs outside of the construction of the examples you send me that are at least worthy?

ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

If you have never camped before, I suggest renting something for a weekend or two. Fall is a wonderful time to camp ! Take some extra blankets and an electric heater.

Second step, buy a lightly used 2 or 3 year old rig. Don't be too picky about the model. The point is to get experience with the layout/floorplan. After a year or so, you will have a better idea what you want.

Last, fall is a good time to shop for "last year" models or those lightly used ones. No one wants to store them for winter.

Very good suggestion. I did look into some of the rentals in my local area and surprisingly there's not alot but will look again.

ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Skibane wrote:

I think "eggshell campers" (that is what they call 100% fiberglass models) are great ! Two downsides. Most are small. The larger ones are EXPENSIVE !!

Regarding appliances. I would seriously consider going 100% electric, no propane. Few people camp in cold weather some you really don't need a furnace. Take a small electric space heater to "take the chill off". Solar is nice, but first put your money into a good set of batteries and an inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch. A portable generator is a must !

If you really want to get radicle, skip the black water tank. Use a cassette or composting toilet.

You're right, expensive and I prefer to have a bathroom!!!! lol

I live in lower alabama so we don't get much of a winter.. lots of my friends who have TTs camp in Jan and Feb.

ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

Skibane wrote:

Both models are made by Forest River (mediocre build quality on a good day), and both models have slideouts (which add a lot of weight and mechanical complexity).

A few other brands to consider with better reputations for build quality:

Bigfoot
Casita
Escape
Scamp

If you're feeling spendy, also take a look at Oliver.

Spendy indeed. The OP said ready to buy in the next 6 months. I doubt any of those brands listed will be found new just sitting on a dealers lot and if they are you can bet it will be for top dollar. I would bet there are production waiting lists at all of them for ordering. They're few and far between on the used market also, and they're always priced out of sight. So unless the OP has lots of time and money, or is extremely lucky, I'd say those brands are not on his radar, nor are the prices.

They are not..

just fyi, here are the 2 I'm considering.. My budget is 35K or below.... I have a bike rally in Oct and want to sell my 2020 harley afterwards and that will give me atleast 4-6K to put down on a TT.

This one here is already equipped with the power pkg to run the AC off of the batts.

https://www.ganderrv.com/rvdetails/new-travel-trailer-rvs/2022-forest-river-flagstaff-e-pro-19fds-rear-bath-40k-CMO1863852

This one here I got a build and quote price of 39080.00

Your Price is $39080
New No Boundaries (NOBO) NB19.5 Travel Trailer
Equipment:
19 Series Package X
Curt Beast Mode Independent Suspension
No Boundaries Beast Mode
Interior Decor, Aspen Frost
J-Cradle Kayak Holder
Unplugged Package
Regards,
Your Friends At Couch's RV Nation

https://www.couchsrvnation.com/forest-river/build-and-price/193/1684

ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

^Most of the brands I listed aren't sold at dealerships - they're ordered directly from the factory.

No dealership means no dealership mark-up.

Typically, prices are clearly posted - there is no haggling over them.

With the exception of Oliver, their prices are in line with many stick-and-staple-built RVs - and their resale values are considerably higher.

Some of them are just too small

ChrispyjCSLT22

Down South

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

“ I'd like to have a TT that can run the AC off of the batteries and these 2 have optional paower pkgs that will allow this.”

So would most of us! Are you willing to spend big time on solar and batteries with your limited budget? And I mean big time.

just fyi, here are the 2 I'm considering.. My budget is 35K or below.... I have a bike rally in Oct and want to sell my 2020 harley afterwards and that will give me atleast 4-6K to put down on a TT.

This one here is already equipped with the power pkg to run the AC off of the batts.

https://www.ganderrv.com/rvdetails/new-travel-trailer-rvs/2022-forest-river-flagstaff-e-pro-19fds-rear-bath-40k-CMO1863852

This one here I got a build and quote price of 39080.00

Your Price is $39080
New No Boundaries (NOBO) NB19.5 Travel Trailer
Equipment:
19 Series Package X
Curt Beast Mode Independent Suspension
No Boundaries Beast Mode
Interior Decor, Aspen Frost
J-Cradle Kayak Holder
Unplugged Package
Regards,
Your Friends At Couch's RV Nation

https://www.couchsrvnation.com/forest-river/build-and-price/193/1684

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to the TT world
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.