cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailersavor vs Anderson Ultimate

ESDA
Explorer
Explorer
Buyinh first 5th wheel. Weight is around 14,500 with a pin weight of 2,900. Trying to decide between the trailersavor and the Anderson Ultimate. I realize they are completely different style of hitches. I like the trailersavor with the airbags and how sturdy it is (plus I have the hensley arrow so I know the company. The Anderson looks appealing due to the ease of getting in and out, plus it seems to be easier to hook up. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
46 REPLIES 46

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are going to beat that horse, do it in a new thread. This one has run its' course.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bad Brad wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
ESDA wrote:
Buyinh first 5th wheel. Weight is around 14,500 with a pin weight of 2,900. Trying to decide between the trailersavor and the Anderson Ultimate. I realize they are completely different style of hitches. I like the trailersavor with the airbags and how sturdy it is (plus I have the hensley arrow so I know the company. The Anderson looks appealing due to the ease of getting in and out, plus it seems to be easier to hook up. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Lots of conversation on this site about this exact question...

You will now get possibly 100 different reasons why you should like 1 over the other..

Do yourself a favor and look under the search tab for hitches and read away..
Looking at the 2, with a DRY weight of 14,000, I would NOT chose an Anderson.. From MY understanding, they are great hitches, but better for lighter fifth wheels.. But then again, that is only MY assessment after reading all ( most ) of the posts....

I have NOT had either so I am of no help... BUT , ask me about my B&W Companion ! :B

Hard braking took this one out!

Just an FYI, I've had all 6 tires locked up on my 394 Momentum...well over 18,000 lbs, no problem with my AUH. BTW, fully loaded I'm close to 20,000 and never an issue for over 4 years. Honest and real experience here.

You must have the new and improved model??? This was a "Honest and real experience" for someone also.

Yet this dead horse continues to be beat . No doubt this Andersen hitch failed , we get it . Fact remains again there were improvements made . Is the Andersen still having any problems after the redesign ? If so let’s beat that horse for awhile .

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
TXiceman wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Like wise if you must have a clean bed above all and that is your priority. The Andersen will be a better choice"

Not sure why the Andersen is a better choice for a clean bed???

You can get a clean bed with a B&W Turn-over ball and B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. I have known a lot of folks that use these and are very pleased. The hitch has a good customer satisfaction.

Ken

I'm not a big Andersen fan, but It's certainly lighter and easier to remove. Does it tow as well as a typical hitch, I don't know but it's easier to remove simply because of the weight factor.
I will add my assumption is that if clean bed is your priority,you have to remove the hitch and reinstall frequently. That could be a false assumption. If you don't need to swap hitch in and out regularly,there are other options.
B&W and the others are not quite as easy to swap out, but if your not swapping regulaly most any hitch can come in and out with some effort.
Comes down to how much effort you are willing to put into taking hitch in and out.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Like wise if you must have a clean bed above all and that is your priority. The Andersen will be a better choice"

You can get a clean bed with a B&W Turn-over ball and B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. I have known a lot of folks that use these and are very pleased. The hitch has a good customer satisfaction.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bad Brad wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
ESDA wrote:

You will now get possibly 100 different reasons why you should like 1 over the other..

Looking at the 2, with a DRY weight of 14,000, I would NOT chose an Anderson.. From MY understanding, they are great hitches, but better for lighter fifth wheels.. But then again, that is only MY assessment after reading all ( most ) of the posts....

I have NOT had either so I am of no help... BUT , ask me about my B&W Companion ! :B

Just an FYI, I've had all 6 tires locked up on my 394 Momentum...well over 18,000 lbs, no problem with my AUH. BTW, fully loaded I'm close to 20,000 and never an issue for over 4 years. Honest and real experience here.

You must have the new and improved model??? This was a "Honest and real experience" for someone also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
This whole thread is a classic case of you don't know what you don't know.
The Trailersaver selling point is the smooth ride it delivers because it has air bags.
Comparing a non air bag hitch to it is pointless. The Trailersaver does not claim to be light weight or the absolute easiest hitch to remove.
If you want to compare a Trailersaver to another hitch you need to experience the smooth ride it deliveres, If you haven't experienced its main selling feature there is really no comparison.
Like wise if you must have a clean bed above all and that is your priority. The Andersen will be a better choice.
These are 2 very different hitches with very different features. Making a decision between the 2 is quite simple.
If

You are right I don't know what I don't know. What I do know is why would I want the Trailsaver , my 3500 rides rough when empty , air downed rear tires help ,but when hooked up to my fifth wheel it is a smooth ride .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bad Brad wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
ESDA wrote:

Thats an old picture circulated more than any I can count, mostly by the same person . Here is what doesn't get said is that that Andersen was redesigned after that . Has there been any problem like that since ?

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Well said, Lantley.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
This whole thread is a classic case of you don't know what you don't know.
The Trailersaver selling point is the smooth ride it delivers because it has air bags.
Comparing a non air bag hitch to it is pointless. The Trailersaver does not claim to be light weight or the absolute easiest hitch to remove.
If you want to compare a Trailersaver to another hitch you need to experience the smooth ride it deliveres, If you haven't experienced its main selling feature there is really no comparison.
Like wise if you must have a clean bed above all and that is your priority. The Andersen will be a better choice.
These are 2 very different hitches with very different features. Making a decision between the 2 is quite simple.
If
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
ESDA wrote:

2023 Ford F450 Lariat, 6.7 H.O., 10 Speed

2018 Grand Design Momentum 394
2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs
A Super AWESOME Wife of 38 years

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Another BD3 user here and after having a reese solid hitch I would never go back to a solid one. You do get what you pay for, my bed is chock full of firewood as well.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
ESDA wrote:

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
nick11 wrote:
No doubt the BD3 is an awesome hitch and has some articulation. The drawbacks are that it weighs 160 lbs, is over $2k and you need to be pretty level and straight with the trailer to hook-unhook. With the Anderson you can be un level and at 90 deg to your trailer and still hook - unhook with ease. It also rides great going down the road with no airbags to deal with. Extremely simple, easy to use and easy to remove.

The airbags are what seperates the Hensley hitches from the pack.
They absorb the bumps in the road. vs. the trailer and truck frame taking the impact of the road.
The BD separates into 2 pieces making easy enough to remove.
Having a totally empty bed is overated. I use my truck for work and never have an empty bed.
The hitch,tools,supplies, lumber something is always in the bed.
Correct Trax,Splendide