Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your help Pinnacle Vs Redwood?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,

A friend of mine (he doesn’t go on line… yah really) is looking at a new 2022 Jayco Pinnacle or Crossroads Redwood. I know the coaches but not enough to make a recommendation. Do you own one or have a recommendation beyond what they may say in New York City?

Thanks guys
14 REPLIES 14

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Well I’m wrong again… He did not buy the Riverstone, he thought he had a deal but didn’t. So he bought a Alliance Paradiam. Yes this time he actually bought it!

So to simplify this for us… He narrowed his search to a Jayco Pinnacle or Crossroads Redwood, thought he bought a Forest River Riverstone and then purchased an Alliance Paradiam! Makes perfect sense when you see it that way right? 😉

He must have saved himself $50,000 but my what a difference in coaches. Not that Alliance doesn’t build a nice Coach. Oh well, thanks for your input guys, you’re the best.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It a great thing when you walk into an TV and it speaks to you.When you know this is the one.
I felt that way when I first walked into my current RV.
As with most RV's I've suffered through my share of issues over the years but overall I have been satisfied.
Hopefully your buddy enjoys his Riverstone for years to come.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, your comment was worth waiting for for sure and I thank you for it. It’s a funny thing how someone has narrowed things down to two coaches then goes out and buys another one. He bought a new Forest River Riverstone rear kitchen model.

To hear him say it, he walked in, took one look and it spoke to him! I admit I don’t know that much about Riverstone but to hear him tell it it’s something to only be spoken of in hush tones! I don’t know about all of that, but I think it’s great he’s so happy with what he found. He said the Riverstone has 3” sidewalls where the the others have 2” etc.

Oh well, thanks for your help guys and sorry I got us going the wrong direction. I was just thinking, that must make the Coach a lot heavier right?

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Jim is here. We spent 6 months looking and comparing at the different models in the class range of the Pinnacle and Redwood. That included Solitude, Vilano, Alliance and a few others but basically it was between the Redwood, Solitude and Pinnacle. It finally boiled down to the Pinnacle and Solitude. We just could not find a Redwood in the model we wanted to see during that 6 months. Ford Truck Guy was helpful in putting me in touch with a Redwood rep but the local dealer never got one in for us to see. The Alliance was still not readily available around here but I would have really liked to see one.

We chose the Pinnacle for several reasons. I felt the running gear was a bit more substantial as at the time it came with US made Goodyear Endurance tires. I understand they are now using a Uniroyal tire. Jayco also used MORryde LRE4000 shackles with a cross member which I liked. We also felt the fit and finish inside was a bit better than the Solitude. It's only a look but Jayco uses a molded rear cap as opposed to the flat one on the Solitude. Also, Jayco had just started using the apartment size slide in type ovens and the wife really wanted one. Jayco also has a 2 year warranty vs 1 for most of the others we considered. I just had a small issue show up right before the 2 year warranty ran out so something to consider. Finally the dealer which sold us our Pinnacle is the best we have ever dealt with. We've had very few issues with the Pinnacle but the few we have had were handled promptly and correctly.

We were very impressed with Redwood and the models we did see we really liked. We were trying to stay under 38 feet and for some reason the Redwood model in that length was in short supply at the time.

It seems like disc brakes were standard on the Redwood but an option on the Pinnacle. Ours didn't have them but it didn't take me long to have them converted to disc, a must in my opinion. One thing to consider. I am also big on how a rig handles and rides going down the road. We had a Reese Goose Box installed by the dealer and it has given us the best riding and handling truck/fifth wheel combo we have ever had. This past spring I added a Roadmaster shock kit and a couple of MORryde X Factor cross members to the spring hangers which made the ride even better.

We have been very impressed with our Pinnacle. I would say it is our favorite of the 6 or so we've had in the past 40 years.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Pinnacle 32RLTS love it...would I buy it again...maybe? No major issues.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
I just read that the Redwood is the number 1 seller of luxury fifth wheels.

Depends on what article you read.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff about the Redwood! And you’re right… They all have problems and so much depends on how the builder/dealer perform? All good stuff guys. I just read that the Redwood is the number 1 seller of luxury fifth wheels.

SKDnet
Explorer
Explorer
Crossroads Redwood - good choice)

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Our daughter and son-in-law bought a Cedar Creek last year and it has had very few problems. They might want to expand their search a bit.

Fellow on the park has a Solitude and it has continual little problems. It seems that now days, you roll the dice and take your chances. The manufacturers do not focus on quality at all and do not instill and pride in workmanship.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Mondooker,

I will say that I have had several small issues that were handled by myself since ownership... My dealer only had the coach back once for warranty repairs and that was a black tank valve that was sticking...

I had a few items that I needed fixed that I could not get to myself, the dealership is 3-1/2 hrs away. Redwood allowed me to get an estimate and repairs at a local RV Service facility and they reimbursed me for that item.. I also had an inverter fail after warranty, I called Xantrex direct and they sent me a new one direct to my house, they also paid for road service to come and install..

My Furrion Oven would NOT keep heat consistent, They ( Redwood/Keystone) shipped a new oven to an authorized repair shop and paid them to install..

I also had smears all over the paint near each seam.. Looked like someone used some sort of cleanser when they applied the caulking or something>?? I sent pics to Redwood/Keystone and they had me get the RV professionally detailed and they paid for it, that took the issue away...

I had a water heater cover bubble the paint for some odd reason out of warranty... Redwood/Keystone sent a new black cover, I purchased a few ounces of paint from the painter in Indiana who painted the coach and they reimbursed a ;local paint shop to do the work... Redwood/Keystone then paid me for the paint I purchased..

They ( Redwood/Keystone ) have been very easy to work with...

ALL coaches can have many issues, it is how the dealer or manufacturer deals with those issues that can make or break your experience.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are on our second Redwood, there was nothing wrong with our 2012 36RL, we just traded for a floor plan that better fit our needs.
Very good friends were in your shoes when they traded their MH in 2015, looking at Redwood and Pinnacle. They ended up buying the Pinnacle and in less that a year traded it in for one of the Redwoods they had looked at originally.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ford truck guy, When I ask someone to comment on something they own. I most often ask “Would you buy it again”? And you did! That in itself tells volumes. All I really know about Redwood is there’s nothing like it’s full body paint. Seeing one on the road is really worth seeing.

I hope Jim does comment, I’d really like to know what he has to say about why he decided on Pinnacle and how happy he is with his choice?

I had a 2016 Redwood.. that was totaled by a tree..
I now have a 2020 Redwood and LOVE IT..

Any coach made these days are possibly problematic due to the workforce.. I know I guy with a New Riverstone and HATES it, I also know a guy who traded his DRV due to problems. I don't know any specifics of those 2 coaches

With that said, I would consider the Redwood and Pinnacle to be fairly close in build quality, cant speak for MSRP as I haven't priced in years..

There is a member on here that just did a side by side comparison and was leaning towards a Redwood.. He ultimately chose the Pinnacle and I'm not 100% sure of the deciding factor.. He is Jim - Jtrac, hopefully he will come along soon.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Have friends who own a large Redwood.

They've had a lot of problems.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~