cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Little Joe Rd in Northern Idaho

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone taken the Little Joe Rd from Regis Montana to Avery, Idaho? This would be Hwy 90 to the Mullan Gulch Rd, to the Little Joe Rd or 282? We want to visit the St. Joe River and will be coming from the Salmon Idaho area. Thanks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton
10 REPLIES 10

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
The road is good and gravel but if you don't mind a dirty car it is not a problem at all.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Some history about the railroad to Avery at this
Hiawatha bike trail page. The section of railroad from I90 to Avery is now a bike trail, complete with trestles and tunnels.

https://www.ridethehiawatha.com/history

This I knew but had never been there. Very interesting article. Thank you.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some history about the railroad to Avery at this
Hiawatha bike trail page. The section of railroad from I90 to Avery is now a bike trail, complete with trestles and tunnels.

https://www.ridethehiawatha.com/history

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
In case you care, I suspect that Little Joe road is named after the electric locomotives that the Milwaukee railroad used to run thru that area back in the 1960s and 1970s. They were originally built to be shipped to the Soviet Union but never went because of political reasons. The railroad crews knew their history and named them Little Joes after Joseph Stalin.

Interesting! A straight electric locomotive was moving freight in the old days.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
In case you care, I suspect that Little Joe road is named after the electric locomotives that the Milwaukee railroad used to run thru that area back in the 1960s and 1970s. They were originally built to be shipped to the Soviet Union but never went because of political reasons. The railroad crews knew their history and named them Little Joes after Joseph Stalin.

I assumed it was named after the St. Joe river and mountains.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
Avery was an awesome place! Huge burnt out red cedar snags from the fire of 1910 and an absurd number of wooden Burlington Northern railroad trestle bridges. Hope it's weathered the last 40 years better than most places have.

It's definitely on my list to revisit.

Thanks for the feedback!!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avery was an awesome place! Huge burnt out red cedar snags from the fire of 1910 and an absurd number of wooden Burlington Northern railroad trestle bridges. Hope it's weathered the last 40 years better than most places have.

It's definitely on my list to revisit.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
From Google Maps, it looks like Little Joe Rd in Montana is gavel - judging by a mix of Streetview and Sat. But on the Idaho side it looks like pavement - that is I can see center line paint in the Sat view (no streetview). The high point is on the stateline.

From the bike route profile, there's about a 3000 ft climb to the pass.

I was thinking the same. Now we won't be going THAT direction! We'll have to go north past Mullan and then come down.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Google Maps, it looks like Little Joe Rd in Montana is gavel - judging by a mix of Streetview and Sat. But on the Idaho side it looks like pavement - that is I can see center line paint in the Sat view (no streetview). The high point is on the stateline.

From the bike route profile, there's about a 3000 ft climb to the pass.